News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt Infantry w/ Deathstrike for Escalation League  (Read 829 times)

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
1000 pt Infantry w/ Deathstrike for Escalation League
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
To Carolina Sector High Command      999.M41

I have joined an escalation league with my Guard.  I am trying to use a different "under used" unit each week.  This week I am bringing the Deathstrike, and I need all the help I can get to use it properly.  Having played with a deathStrike in the past, I allready know it gives mixed results.  I am expecially wary at this low points level.  There are not many targets if it scatters.  The flip side is that  if I get a good hit, it can kill most of an army.

Here is my list:

1000 pts Infantry with Deathstrike Missile Launcher, League Week 2

-Company Command Squad   145 pts
4 x Melta Gun
Chimera, Multilaser, Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer

1st Platoon

Platoon Command Squad, Al Rahem, Grenade Launcher               105 pts

Infantry Squad, Commisar, 2 x Power Sword, Grenade Launcher   110 pts
Infantry Squad, Commisar, 2 x Power Sword, Grenade Launcher   110 pts
Infantry Squad, Power Sword, Grenade Launcher, 65 pts

2nd Platoon

Platoon Command Squad                             -- pts

Infantry Squad, Power Sword, Grenade Launcher   65 pts
Infantry Squad, Power Sword, Grenade Launcher   65 pts

Penal Legion                                                                           --- pts

Guardsman Marbo                                                                  --- pts

Deathstrike                                                                            --- pts

All games will be Spearhead with 5 objectives (unless the TO changes his mind).  My opponents will be another imperial guard player, Grey Knight Paladins, and Jump Pack Blood Angels.  The hope is to deploy the small platoon as seperate squads and spread out to claim objectives on my half of the board.  Al Rahem's lads and the penal legion squad will outflank to take things from them.  Do I have enough guns?  Would I be better off bringing plasma vets instead of the second platoon? 

The Grey Knight player told me that he will have a sniper assassin and some sort of dreadnought.  How should that factor into my plans?

Edit:   I could aslo lose the meltas and Chimera from the CCW and replace them with a Master of Ordnance and another squad for Captain Al.  Is this a good idea?  I like the thought of having more dudes, but the loss of anti tank worries me.  I would have 0 ability to handle a drop podded dread.

You can follow the progress of our campaign in this thread:

Imperial Guard Escalation League

-Commander Joe Moose, 43rd Anglican Rifle

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:37:04 PM by Mr Joe Moose »

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
Re: 1000 pt Infantry w/ Deathstrike for Escalation League
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Is he using a dreadknight or a dreadnought... VERY different animals, the knight being a hell of a lot scarier in my opinion. Against Grey Knight and Angels, concentrate fire and plasma are your friends. The assaulting army has to get to ya to kill ya. Speed bumps, with massed las rifle fire behind them.

The deathstrike is a one shot wonder, that may or may not get to fire. Making it the back bone of your army is high high high risk. If everything goes right, you will probably win, if not... well it is wasted points.

The IG vs IG fight is going to be hardest unless he mounts a mobile list, as you are going to have to hump it to objectives and whither his fire, espeically with your lack of LRBTs or Hydras, giving you little in terms of ranged anti-infantry firepower.

Perhaps stick ACs on Al'rahem's boys, they can move and shoot with the LtW order as long as they did not move in the movement phase, also why all the power weapons in Al'rahem's?

Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »
The Vindicare assassin can allocate his wound... so he could force you to take a wound on a Commissar, for example, or a special Weapon Trooper, or a Sergeant.

He'll likely take a Psy-fleman Dreadnaught. Think 2x TL AC's, Marine BS, but hitting with Krak missile strength instead of standard strength. Super ouch for AV 12-. Since you'll only have the one Chimera visible to him, it will almost certainly be a write-off. Same against your IG opponent. Probably against the BA's, if they're riding in Las/Plas Razorbacks.

To be blunt, Marbo, the Deathstrike and the Penal Legion are all point-sinks for this list at a low point level. You're going to be on the recieving end of an angry sexual activity.

I'd say you're in desperate need of another Chimera, some Plasmaguns, and some Autocannons.

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:16:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice and critique.  You guys are awesome.

I ended up replacing the second platoon with Plasma Vets in a Chimera.  I had to drop Al's GL and 1 GL from his platoon to make room.  I didn't feel comfortable trusting in that little platoon to keep the enemy off my missile, and all that power armor makes me itch for a decent dose of plasma.  Over all the night went well with 2 wins and a tie. 

The penal legion squad performed admirably at their task, which is outflanking onto an objective.  At this points total my opponents have been having trouble saturating the board.  The low points total means that there are always objectives left unclaimed.  The Penal Legion squad means that one of those objectives is mine.  If they want to divert a big bad squad of marines to kill that lonely little group of criminals, they give me free run with the bulk of my army.  I don't think it would work well in a larger game, but they are awesome in small games with lots of objectives to capture.  They may come back often until we increase the points value.

Marbo was Marbo.  In 1 game he killed a single termie, in the next game he got 7 marines, and then in the last game I had to deploy him against a relatively empty board and he ended up catching a lascannon to the face.  I don't expect miracles from Marbo, but he seems to return well on his points. No matter what they do, you get to put a large blast over their favorite toy. 

The deathstrike was OK.  My opponents didn't seem to prioritize it correctly, so it did more damage than it should have.  Game 1 killed a handful of pimped out space wolves.  Game 2 killed 6 death company and a Chaplain, and the last game killed nothing at all.  I'm glad I got it out of the display cabinet, but it will probably stay there for a while again.  It feels too much like a lottery ticket. 

I'll put a battle report for each game in the campaign thread.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:18:20 AM by Mr Joe Moose »