News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork Nob Army  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Sucker_PF3

• Grot
  • "Operate! Operate! Still time to Operate!"
Ork Nob Army
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »
Besides the limitations of buying/converting an army entirely of Nobz, wouldn't this army be almost unstoppable?

HQ's
Ghaz - (alot)

Warboss - 115
 -Bike
 -cybork
 -'uge choppa

Elites
5 Nobz - 285
 -5 Bikes
 -Painboy
 -4'uge Choppas
 - Waagh Banner
 -Boss Pole

5 Nobz - 315
-5 Bikes
-painboy
-3 'uge Choppas
-1 Power Klaw
- Waagh Banner
-Boss Pole

5 Mega Armored Nobz - (cant post exact)
-Truck w/ Plates and red paint - 50

Troops
9 Nobz - 350
-painboy
-8 eavy armor
-6 'uge choppas
-2 Power Klaws
- Waagh
-Boss pole
-Truck w/ plates and red paint - 50

9 Nobz - 350
-same as squad above
-trukk w/ plates and red paint- 50

I know i could have made 2 full size Nob biker squads, and 2 warbosses on bikes to ride around with em, but i didn't want full cheese, plus bikes just adds to the monetary cost of the model  :P.

I have used nobz in just about every ork army i throw into battle and they never disappoint me, they always slaughter their way through even the toughest foes, and if they get their hands on vehicles, O the goodness. Str 6 standing still, and str 7 on the charge ('uge choppas), 5 attacks on the charge, 4+ armor save, and 4+ feel no pain. As long as my opponent doesn't load up on str 8 or AP 1 or 2 guns then i am not gonna lose many guys, even if i have to foorslogg  ;D.

A little about the list:

The biker boss, attaches to a biker mob, and both biker mobz are responsible for taking out vehicles, either shooting at rear armor or charging in w/ their high str melee.

Ghaz attaches to the mega nobz, who go after the tough infantry or walkers.

The full size foot squads are responsible for just killing anything they can get a hold of. Seeing as how they have I 4 on the charge, they might actually get to strike before getting hit, or at least at the same time (eldar and genestealers be damned  :P). the trukks are only in there to get me 18" closer to the enemy before they go up in smoke, i gave em plates so that if they do manage to not get immobilized or destroyed they can keep moving forward.

What do you think, too cheesy? (kinda the point though lol.) Too few Models? I know if i saw this force i might just punch my opponent and leave. Just have to find a way to make my excess slugga boyz appear nob like.........
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:22:00 PM by Sucker_PF3 »

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
Re: Ork Nob Army
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
First off, Sucker_PF3, welcome to Orks!  I've seen you around 40K Online and was wondering when we would be graced with your arrival on the Ork Side.  Come party with the Boyz.  WAAGGHH!

No such thing as Cheesy, that's what I say.  This would be a stunning force on the table.  I like it!

Hard to say how it would play since Orks do rely on numbers to win or else it is too easy to make them run - even Nobs.

I am trying to decide if it is legal for you to take Nobs as Troops.  I have to say no.  If you take a certain Warboss that we all know and love, you can add more Nobs as Troops - see the Dex for more!

The other disadvantage Ork Nobs have is poor armour.  I can see that you have taken some Bork Bodies and such, but 5+ is still just not very good for saving these guys.  It looks like you are relying on the save that Bikes give in order to save them.

That and speed.

Hmmm, interesting.

Slamming a couple of units of Biker Nobs into the enemy might just work if you do it from the side.  I still fear for them in shooting, but I'll admit, it would be something to see.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:33:12 AM by Boss Solorg »
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Sucker_PF3

• Grot
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »
First off, Sucker_PF3, welcome to Orks!  I've seen you around 40K Online and was wondering when we would be graced with your arrival on the Ork Side.  Come party with the Boyz.  WAAGGHH!

No such thing as Cheesy, that's what I say.  This would be a stunning force on the table.  I like it!

Hard to say how it would play since Orks do rely on numbers to win or else it is too easy to make them run - even Nobs.

I am trying to decide if it is legal for you to take Nobs as Troops.  I have to say no.  If you take a certain Warboss that we all know and love, you can add more Nobs as Troops - see the Dex for more!

The other disadvantage Ork Nobs have is poor armour.  I can see that you have taken some Bork Bodies and such, but 5+ is still just not very good for saving these guys.  It looks like you are relying on the save that Bikes give in order to save them.

That and speed.

Hmmm, interesting.

Slamming a couple of units of Biker Nobs into the enemy might just work if you do it from the side.  I still fear for them in shooting, but I'll admit, it would be something to see.

i think you miss read my post.

I did not take any cybork bodies, i only gave one to the warboss, everyone else i gave a 4+ armor save, so they will get a 4+ armor save and a 4+ feel no pain against most attacks.

Leadership has been said to be a problem, but i found this to be false. I was looking in the rule book and there seems to be no penalty to leadership by shooting, and i gave everyone a boss pole. So even if i fall below 5 models, i still get my full leadership 2x, maybe i missed the modifiers in the rulebook, but the only ones i found were in CC, which i expect to win.

It is totally legal to take nobz as troops
 Look under the warboss section, the regular warboss allows 1 unit of nobz, or mega nobz to be taken as troops, and so does ghaz.

I have been playing orks since the last codex, and this one allows us to field armies that dont rely totally on numbers. If you can throw alot of hard to kill units (such as nobz, with feel no pain and a 4+ sv.) then you will be fine. Plus who wants to try and dislodge Nobz, off of an objective lol.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:56:55 AM by Sucker_PF3 »

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:03:15 PM »
Ah, so it is.  So, the army has more teeth than I realized.  Not bad at all.  Any other comments on this list?
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
Well this is certainly an Elite band of Orks.

Even so I do have my comments and my concerns in certain areas.

On the Biker Nobs you take a Painboy/Dok but your also giving them cc weapons, something that I personally don't think was intended, but with the faq being mostly useless there is no telling.  I would actually advice against it, not because in my eyes it is a gray area, but because you loose the Urty Syringe, the only poisoned weapon in the Orks armory (and I think maybe the only poisoned weapon in a 4th Edition codex).  Also when you upgrade a normal Nob to a Paindok just be aware that you loose an attack in CC as he doesn't have 2 CC weapons.  (then again your taking Big Choppas which as 2 handed weapons don't get that bonus anyway).

My other concern is Wheres da Red Paint?  Maybe it comes from my history with the KoS, but I've learned that the extra inch of movement makes all the difference.  Instead you have armor plates on the trukk, which seem pretty harmless as you kinda want the trukk to explode and get a Kareen headfirst into your enemy.

It seems like a fun risky list as there is no fire support from Lootas or sneaky Kommandos, so every loss is going to be felt.  Good luck when your playin this list.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »
Yeah, good point, Ram and Red Paint are both good upgrades.  Armour Plates are not as good as they once were.

Offline Sucker_PF3

• Grot
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
My other concern is Wheres da Red Paint?  Maybe it comes from my history with the KoS, but I've learned that the extra inch of movement makes all the difference.  Instead you have armor plates on the trukk, which seem pretty harmless as you kinda want the trukk to explode and get a Kareen headfirst into your enemy.

the trukks are just there to be an extra 12-18" movement. the plates are not gonna keep them alive longer, just allow them to keep moving if they get stunned. Plus i now have extra points from removing the weapons i accidentally put on the pain boys so i will throw the pain on there.

I did not mean to give the painboys weapons, i do not think that is legal either.

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
I like the idea and against most balanced armies it would do really well IMO, but I would be scared of Tanky IG and Necs with lots of immortals and destroyers. I would include a squad of mega-nobs just for the durability and anti tank power claws.
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
As an Ork and Necron player, rest assured, the FNP and any kind of cover at all totally neuters Necron gunfire vs the nob squad. I've been on both ends of this factor and it is not fun to be the guy stuck with the gauss when the enemy's got some trees and a painboy on the payroll.

Anything that causes instant death on Nobs will of course wreck said nobs. For this reason, I find the cybork body to actually be better than the 4+ armor, because in combat the 4+ is not terribly important and outside of combat cover is much better than the eavy armor anyways. But when you want to avoid instant death, those 5+ invuls can come in quite handy.

Offline Raven

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:35:03 AM »
If you get a librarian or sorcerer in the middle of any of your squads, you are going to lose.

Huge points cost low model count figures with no defence against asa force weapon. Oh, and only two scoring units.

Just food for thought...

Offline Archaon

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:30 AM »
Another thought is that this will be possible moneywise soon as a plastic ork nobz box is coming out soon. Quite when I'm not usre but probably alongside the SM release esp. with black reach and all linking orks and SM together. (it was shown in WD, BTW so it will be out very soon.)

Offline Sucker_PF3

• Grot
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
I like the idea and against most balanced armies it would do really well IMO, but I would be scared of Tanky IG and Necs with lots of immortals and destroyers. I would include a squad of mega-nobs just for the durability and anti tank power claws.

Destroyers would suck, there would be no way to catch them if the trukks go, which they always do. Tanks are just a fact of life, everyone seems to have em but the 8-3 could be a problem. I guess it is a good thing that the tanks will scatter a little more than they used to, not to be relied on.

Anything that causes instant death on Nobs will of course wreck said nobs. For this reason, I find the cybork body to actually be better than the 4+ armor, because in combat the 4+ is not terribly important and outside of combat cover is much better than the eavy armor anyways. But when you want to avoid instant death, those 5+ invuls can come in quite handy.

I'll try and test it out both ways, but this does sound like an excelent idea.

If you get a librarian or sorcerer in the middle of any of your squads, you are going to lose.

Huge points cost low model count figures with no defence against asa force weapon. Oh, and only two scoring units.

I disagree, i think your Lib will only get to strike once, then will be totally destroyed by the incoming attacks, so i lose a nob or 2 at most. As for the second point, an all Nob army can only have 2 troops ever, as the nobs are placed in the troop choice due to the warbosses' special rules. I could throw in boyz, but then it wouldnt be all Nobz  ;D.

Another thought is that this will be possible moneywise soon as a plastic ork nobz box is coming out soon. Quite when I'm not usre but probably alongside the SM release esp. with black reach and all linking orks and SM together. (it was shown in WD, BTW so it will be out very soon.)

I really cant wait, I am going to go half in on a Assualt on Black Reach as soon as it hits the shelf, Maybe 2 lol. I cant wait for the Nob box, it only makes sense, SM have their termies in plastic. I wonder if they are going to release plastic mega nobz......

Just a side note, has any one seen the new model for Zagstrukk, doesnt he look amazing?http://bp0.blogger.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/SCuaHcSmuBI/AAAAAAAABjE/dtPrtoCTbdY/s1600-h/Zagstruk-painted.jpg

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
Archaon are you sure that there is a plastic Nob box coming out and the pictures you saw weren't the Nob mob that comes in the new starter set?

Because this is the first I've heard about Plastic Nob Mob outside of the new starter set, and I check through a lot of rumor boards (although I must admit that I've given up reading White Dwarf after January).

If there is an independent Nob Mob plastic box I would wager that it would not have all the options like bikes, eavy armor plates, Waaagh Banners, or Mega Armor upgrade bitz.  Instead I'd bet that it will be another one of those [expletive deleted] snap fit kits that GW is bringing out and starting to shove down our throats.

Its this "ready to run" stuff that is why I stopped modeling in HO scale and I really don't want to see that in 40k. 

Now if this supposed Nob Mob kit is an actual kit, with seperate heads arms and legs, tons of interesting gubbinz and various Big Choppas and the like I'll be the first one to buy it.  But if its another one of those snap fit-everybody has the same exact mini bu[expletive attempted to be deleted]t then I'm not interested.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Archaon

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 09:00:35 AM »
It looks like a mulit part boxed set. You see the guy with a big chainaxe thing. He doen't come in the starter box. It actually says 'upcoming plastic ork nob' but I guess there is a boxed set becuase there is a pic or a guy sculpting a part of it (the arm) and it looks are to good to go in the starter box and I havn't seen it in the pics of the starter box either.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »
It looks like a mulit part boxed set. You see the guy with a big chainaxe thing. He doen't come in the starter box. It actually says 'upcoming plastic ork nob' but I guess there is a boxed set becuase there is a pic or a guy sculpting a part of it (the arm) and it looks are to good to go in the starter box and I havn't seen it in the pics of the starter box either.

Dunno where we'll see this guy.  For some reason I had a feeling we'll be seeing him as the Boss in Blackreach.

Offline Archaon

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

Dunno where we'll see this guy.  For some reason I had a feeling we'll be seeing him as the Boss in Blackreach.

Nah becuase this is the black reach warboss (guy on the right). Pretty cool guy: