News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New to Eldar and these forums.  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Redlead

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New to Eldar and these forums.
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »
Hi guys, first off i would like to say I'm new (be kind)and hello to you all.

So then I'm looking for a new 40k project and would like some advice on a possible Eldar one, must first say though that i have no clue when it comes to eldar (not even got the dex) as i have always collected and painted Space marines and to add to that i've not even played Eldar so as you can see its a real unknown quantity to me.
However i do know what i like and some of the Eldar minis really do it for me.

Right then on with the miniatures that i like and this is where i would like some advice fellas, 1850pts is where i usually aim for, so with that in mind could you help thanks :)

Was thinking of buying that Wraith Host box set just because they are awesome and i love the minis (maybe a serpent or two?).

I would really like three FW Hornets in the force, also look awesome.

Warp Spiders...just love the look of them!

So guys what do you think....could it work??, I know its vague but its a start and we all have to start somewhere right.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: New to Eldar and these forums.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
Welcome to the forums and welcome to the path of the Eldar. They are a great army with enormous diversity of builds and models.

The Wraith Host boxed set is an excellent place to start. Adding a pair of Wave Serpents for the Wraithguard, as well as a trio of Hornets and some Warp Spiders would make for a very competitive army.

I've run a trio of Pulse Laser Hornets in every list since 6th edition and they are an absolute hammer. They can absolutely shatter an army's most recalcitrant units the turn they arrive.

After that I'd suggest picking up a couple of troop options so you can experiment running a Combined Arms Detachment as the formations can be restrictive. Jetbikes even two small groups of 3 would be fine so you can add some aspect warriors, or even a couple of larger units with cannons or lasers would make for a very hard hitting super mobile element to your slower Wraith construct units.

Anyway I think you are going in the right direction. Get the codex crunch some numbers and let us know what you think!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Welcome to the forums.  I don't know a whole lot about the current Eldar, but you are in the right place to be seeking advice.  The site started as Eldar Online, so there has always been a strong contingent of pointy eared mother beslubberers around.  And unlike the other larger forums, you don't have to worry about people being cruel to newbies here.  The discussions are usually quite civil.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
Wraithguard, Wave Serpents, and Warp Spiders are now lynchpin units in the Eldar Codex.  They're found in nearly every tournament/net list, my one caution against taking them would be to avoid following that trend.  It should be clear from your gaming group what has been beaten to death, so if you like the look of the models go for it.

I recommend against buying directly from GW, there are sites like chaosmailorder and The War Store that offer year-round 20%-off discounts as well as annual sales events.

Availability - WARHAMMER 40,000
Games Workshop 20% off
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »
Hey dude o/ welcome! I would say if you want to have a good list at 1850, take a windrider host with a wraith host. This gives wraith units 12" movement. My list uses 3 seperpents that have a 30" threat range. I also use eldrad in that list to give me d3 scout so that i can get 1-3 units with 36" range. Did i mention all my d weapons r twin linked?

anyway, stuff to think about

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Wraith Host set is an excellent place to start, if you like the look of the models.
Wraith units are typically characterised as high toughness, good army saves, very potent weaponry, expensive per model. In Space Marine terms, they are our terminators, our dreadnoughts, and our titans

The wraith infantry weapons are very short range, so a Waveserpent or two to get them up close early is a very good addition.

FW Hornets look very pretty, and are extremely good value (in terms of points, not so much in $$). I don't use FW stuff so am not clear 100% on the rules, but none of the detachments or formations given in the Eldar Codex allow for Hornets except for your basic CAD (they are Fast Attack)

Warp Spiders are a very potent Fast Attack choice, but the only way to field them in a bound list is either as part of a CAD, or part of a formation containing 3 units of aspect warriors, so if you want to play them, you'll need to also pickup 2 units of troops and/or 2 other units of aspect warriors satisfy the formation requirements. Considering you want the Hornets as well, I'd suggest troops would be your best bet.

Troops-wise, the Windriders (jetbikes) are by far and away the most competitive, and are fast enough to keep up with hornets / spiders / wave serpents. Other options are rangers (snipers), guardians (basic infantry), guardian storms (cross between assault and special weapons infantry), and Dire Avengers (elite infantry). I think the rangers look the coolest, but they are also the least competitive IMO. Dire Avengers are also aspect warriors so could give you some more options on formations other than CAD.

NB: Going down the CAD route would also require an HQ. You could use the spiritseer from the wraithhost, but then you couldn't take the Wraithhost formation, which has some pretty sweet rules. Might be worth picking up a 2nd HQ for more flexibility.

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum and great to read that you're starting an army that is ALL about looking great as we go to war.

I'd rather not be known as a thorn, but my suggestions are as follows:

1 - Borrow or buy the Codex to learn about Eldar, our playstyle is different from one Warhost to the next.

2 - Start checking those sites, where you can get the minis cheap or on sale.

3 - Allot a point value you want to build and make a Warhost, so you can see what you'll build.

4 - Build them, paint them as you can, and get into a game with your LGS buddies. Just have fun, no need to be competetive. Although, when a tourney comes beat them to the punches.

Just post once in a while, so we can see your progress and the warhost(s) you chose.  ;D
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
The wraithhost box is certainly a good start, though I don;t believe it's a discount. You can probably get the items cheaper on their own from 3rd party retailers (usually at 20% discount).

On top of the wraith host units, I would suggest at least enough models for a small CAD to go along side them. A Farseer and jetbike, and 6-12 windrider bikes is a good pair. Alternatively, a Farseer, some warlocks, and a few Guardian defender squads (magnetize your heavy weapon platforms) can also pair well.

I would highly suggest proxying an army for a bit, just to make sure things play how you like them. You may find you like the idea of a different army with only a few wraith units, instead of a whole army of them.