News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tactical Challenge: Find the best battle plan  (Read 886 times)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Tactical Challenge: Find the best battle plan
« on: August 1, 2017, 04:50:07 AM »
While writing up my recent battle report (2000 pts Craftworlds vs Space Wolves), I came upon a tactical challenge that I think might be interesting to discuss here.

As you might already know from the report, the battle started with the following deployment position (Wolves having the 1st turn):

In the actual game my opponent decided to play cautiously and kept distance by advancing along the far long table edge, like this:

As a result of this move, once I shot down his transports, his infantry had to charge down my right flank practically across the whole field, only reaching my lines by turns 3-4. And so, there's one question that keeps occupying my mind:

What would have happened if, instead of playing cautiously, my opponent has went straight for the jugular and rammed all his transports right into the heart of my position, like this:

Assuming the same target prioritisation (which was quite reasonable) and better concentration of fire (focusing one Hemlock instead of splitting fire between the two), in the end of SW turn 1 the position could have looked like this:

So, here's the tactical challenge:
Assuming you play Eldar in the position above, evaluate the situation. Do you think SW would do better with this risky attack or would you rather think it's a mistake? Do you think Eldar are in a dangerous position? Suggest the moves for the Eldar turn 1, and, most importantly, the general battle plan that would give the Eldar the best chances to escape and, hopefully, punish the Wolves for their rashness.

For your reference:
Stormwolves contain 3x5 Grey Hunters, 2x5 Wolf Guard with a ton of combi-flamers and 5 Wulfen. Characters between them are Logan Grimnar and Arjac Rockfist.
Wave Serpent on the left contains 6 Fire Dragons and 5 Dark Reapers, WS on the right contains 5 Fire Dragons and a Farseer. Raider contains 2x5 Warriors each with a blaster and agoniser.
Please refer to my batrep for detailed army lists.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 04:55:50 AM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Tactical Challenge: Find the best battle plan
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
I can't contribute much as I don't know anything about the SW units' stats, but this is an interesting idea and for the benefit of others is it correct to assume that the surviving Hemlock is a non-factor in the following turn save for using Smite, as the SW units are well within 20" and no move the fighter can make will end in D-scythe range? There's no scale so I can't tell whether moving 20" horizontally will leave it in range.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 12:55:45 PM by Rhyleth »

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
Hypothetically?...

That would be a suicide charge which will only give his forces as kill points. I would do the following:

1. Move the fire dragon serpent towards the left rear arc of his vehicles. This should give you a fire point and possible kill downing a vehicle. DO NOT forget to disembark.

2. Move the 2nd serpent with farseer and dragons to the right rear arc for a good crossfire, this gives you a possible avenue of either support fire the first serpent or kill another vehicle. DO NOT forget to disembark.

3. Those CHs should be able to aptly get to some rear position or rear arc positions and give some nice angled or pov shots on these vehicles. Just don't forget your turn facing during movement.

4. Raiders should be nice and ready for some hot agonizer shots and you don't even need to disembark for a nice movement towards the other objective, since he left it already.

5. Those reapers should be overjoyed as they're just gonna pull the trigger and kill lots of marines.

6. I would move the hemlock near those marines for them to receive their negative penalty and getting some nice HDS (Hvy D-Scythe) love.

Wishful that those windriders were still around. Hope you like this, since I had been on a receiving end of what you're asking many times and it always creeps my opponent that I won't hesitate on a good 2nd turn All-Out:Blow-Out.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
One idea might be to try to get a complete surround on his transports and then kill them so there's nowhere for the models to disembark.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2017, 06:00:09 PM »
under the current rules, Eldar won the match on turn 1 as there were no bodies on the ground... :)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
@Rhyleth
is it correct to assume that the surviving Hemlock is a non-factor in the following turn save for using Smite, as the SW units are well within 20" and no move the fighter can make will end in D-scythe range? There's no scale so I can't tell whether moving 20" horizontally will leave it in range.
The model silhouettes are fairly true to scale in fact. Hemlock is about 14" away from the nearest Stormwolf, so it can perfectly stay within range of all 3 enemy flyers, like this:

@magenb
under the current rules, Eldar won the match on turn 1 as there were no bodies on the ground... :)

If only that was true  :D Alas, that rule applies only from 2nd battle round.

@Haunt

Actually - yes, it seems possible to use the disembarking infantry plus the right Serpent to block the frontal arcs of the Stormwolves, left Serpent and Raider to block sides and flyers to block the rear. Surrounding them this way might work, especially because the SW flyers wouldve been huddled close together to stay within 6" bubbles of 2 characters.
This is a continuation at least definitely worth considering, and one I absolutely didn't think about. Many thanks for the input!
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 06:45:06 PM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus