News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Tau Fiction  (Read 2566 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
New Tau Fiction
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »
Recently releases include the following:

The Patient Hunter - A Ripetide hunts a Guard armoured company within an urban setting (short story).

The Kauyon - A Pathfinder seeks revenge against an Imperial force (audio book - 49 mins).

Both are, IMO, Tau stroke fiction, where the Imperial tanks and Space Marines get a right ol'shoeing by the ever vigilant Tau. So, yeah, it'll hurt reading/hearing them from anything other than a Tau point of view. However, the audio book does do a fairly nice job of using drones and electronic warfare from a more modern perspective. The force multiplier of markerlights with drone and seeker missile support is discussed briefly in more detail than you get from the prior material which is a plus. The Bonding Rite is also experienced in the audio book which was nice.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline GreaterGoodIreland

• When in doubt, railguns.
  • Armies: Tau, Grey Knights
Re: New Tau Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
What's the word on the bonding rite? Anything of note?

I ask because I sort of need to know for my own fictional adventures in the 41st millenium :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »
It's a flashback scene and the details have gone hazy since last I heard it. Next time I fire it up I'll add detail.

What is interesting is one of the stories in the Damocles book has a member of the Water Caste trying to convince his gue'vesa bodyguard to enter into the ritual with the rest of the bodyguard team (all human). Also mentions of gue'vesa having throat surgery to better speak Tau.

Edit: Add to that human piloted Crisis suits, an appearance by the Nagi doing horrible things to a Raven Guard Marine (mind rip for information), and an Inquisitor who has joined the Tau Empire and reached the rank of O' (or has he, see Nagi). Probably a typo but they have a Devilfish ferrying people from orbit to the ground and back again, pretty sure they meant Orca as Mantas appear later on.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2014, 01:21:08 PM by Rummy »
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »
I can't see the humans not getting in on the bonding stuff really. In terms of integrating humans into the empire, it would be a useful tool, a common cultural point that could be spread easily. Throat surgery isn't required to speak Tau, several Inquisitors have demonstrated fluency in it in other fiction, though it's possible that particular human had it done to rid him or herself of the accent.

As for the other two things, they are certainly interesting as well.

In theory, the Tau would have had more than enough time to study the human brain to allow for human piloted battlesuits. It is important to note that they are piloted by neuro-synaptic links (presumably with manual backups). So from that perspective, either the Tau have developed the appropriate neuro-link or the humans simply pilot their suits manually. The scruples to be had there have more to do with the idea that the Tau would trust humans with that level of tech. Many, albeit Imperial, perspectives have humans as footsoldiers, but always seem to imply that the Tau don't trust the humans. I always found this a bit ridiculous, given the number of centuries that humans have been born within the Ethereals' territory. It's been more than enough years for there to be dedicated human military elements in Fire Caste coalitions.

As for the Devilfish, it is rated to work in a vacuum and it can deploy from high altitude anyway, so I would imagine it's a relatively easy mistake to make.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
There are dedicated human military elements in the Fire Caste. This story reinforced that with it being narrated from a human perspective. Including humans giving orders to the Fire Caste rather than merely obeying them.

The Inquisitors previously speaking Tau were doing so rather badly. Understandable but badly as you'd imagine There's also a lot more going on than mere verbal with different facial expressions which a human has to learn to duplicate and vice versa. The throat surgery is to help a human voice get as close as possible to avoid misunderstandings, as you'd hope for a military unit.

I can quite easily see Devilfish deployed from low orbit, it's the much harder getting back part that I'm hoping they didn't intend.
Drink
Knights Tippler

« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
Given we can presume that Tau medical technology is highly advanced, such surgery probably isn't a big deal to begin with. So, it's all very plausible but also new.

Exactly what you'd want  ;D

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
The Damocles novella set is rather fun, I'd suggest that as a purchase for Tau fiction fans. It covers what's in the Apoc book as far as fluff goes so 2 for 1.
Drink
Knights Tippler