News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Squad Special and Heavy Weapons  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Squad Special and Heavy Weapons
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:33:04 AM »
Hi guys,

I was wondering which Special and Heavy Weapons combinations work best for Mechanised Veterans, Mechanised Regulars, Blobbed Regulars, 10 man Regulars on foot, Conscripts, Command Squads, Heavy Weapon Teams, and Special Weapon Teams?

Heavy Weapon Teams:
Lascannons - because then you're not wasting any Lasgun shots when taking down tanks
Mortars - because they can hid and do damage

Special Weapon Teams:
Plasmaguns - because they can do a lot of damage to many targets
Meltaguns - because they can take down tanks

Command Squads:
I don't know...  I guess it depends if they are blobbed or mechanised?

Mechanised Veterans:
Plasmaguns and a Heavy Flamer - because they can do a lot of damage to many targets
Meltaguns - because they can take down tanks

Mechanised Regulars:
Flamer - Complements Lasguns
Plasmagun - Increases damage output against many targets
Heavy Bolter or Autocannon - Multiple shots for Snap Fire, increases damage?  Are they worth it?

Blobbed Regulars:
Grenade Launcher & Missile Launcher - both have similar fire modes, increasing long range damage esp. to hoards but also to vehicles if required
Plasmagun & Lascannon / Missile Launcher / Autocannon - can engage all targets, good at taking down heavy stuff
Flamers - to run forward like crazy flaming stuff

10 man Regulars on foot:
Same as blobbed?

Conscripts:
???

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: Squad Special and Heavy Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »
I think blobbed regulars best choice is the autocannon.  It gives them some range for when they are sitting back and their lasguns can't be brought to the fight and it gives them weight of fire when they are moving so you can get the occasional snap shot off.

I've never seen a competitive guard list with missile launchers.

Special weapon squads: I don't like plasma guns on them.  Their BS is too low.  Meltaguns are iffy considering you usually just need one to penetrate.  What about flamers?  3 flamers on a cheap squad that doesn't have to roll to hit ignores their low BS.  I like mine in a Valkyrie or vendetta so they can drop down and flame vulnerable units or do a late grab/contest of an objective.

I still think we will see a lot of plasma vets. That little bump in their BS makes a huge difference with the plasma. Make them grenadiers and they might actually survive a gets hot roll.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
I used to run Imperial Guard a lot, and I can say that Lascannons and Autocannons have always been my favoured heavy weapons in any Guard army, mixed with Leman Russ Tanks (normally Executioners) who use their blasts to accomplish what LCs/ACs and Lasguns cannot.

I used to run a lot of Heavy Weapons Teams, but lately I've become pretty discouraged at the dramatic increase in Ignores Cover weapons that have long range. Heldrakes, just about anything Tau if you get hit with 2 Markerlights, Noise Marines, Wave Serpeants, and other IG players with orders are going to mince your teams where before you could at least have a 4+ or 5+ cover save to increase your survival chances.

Special Weapons Teams likewise aren't terribly useful since they are such a small and vulnerable squad with mediocre BS that is superceded by the much more effective Platoon Command Squad (can take more specials, and give orders) that you have to bring along before you can take SWTs anyway.

As a general rule, PCSs should be mobile and equipped with all Flamers. Mobile means they are either Chimera mounted or Flying (Tauroxes are too weak to consider for them, though the exact locations of the firepoints aren't clear meaning you could get more templates out on a driveby). The more expensive, advanced Special weapons (Plasmaguns and Meltaguns) should only be taken by Veterans and CCSs due to their higher BS... it doesn't make sense to pay the same points for less effectiveness running them on normal guardsmen.

IMO if you are going to run Heavy Weapons, Sabre Weapons Platforms are still the most effective way to do it at the moment but Forge World can be expensive.

I think that Conscripts with a Priest/Commissar are exceptional as an objective holder especially given the fact they are dirt cheap... and I mean DIRT cheap. They are the cheapest unit I've ever seen in 40K, and given the right orders they can still be pretty effective.

Offline Nobbla

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:44:10 AM »
I agree with Caustic; plasmaguns and meltaguns should only be taken by Veterans or CCS. The sniper rifle is a very good (and cheap) compliment to a stationary PCS or CCS with a autocannon or lasscannon. The new prize reduction for the Sentinels also make them an option for heavy fire support, in my opinion.