News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: queation about tau  (Read 644 times)

Offline PIN_H34D

• we kill, because we can
queation about tau
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »
are tau really competitive and/or good agenst hoarding armies (ie orks or tyrands)?
Murder, death, that is my entertainment

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: queation about tau
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:17:37 PM »
That's really a "how long is a piece of string" question. It depends on how you build your army. Generally speaking, they are good at hoarde control, with pulse rifles and submunition fom the Hammerhead.

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »
Tau don't have the volume of fire to take horde armies by just laying down shots, but they do have an excellent mix of mobility and firepower, which if used well with a properly laid out army list can do quite well against hordes.  And that same list often works quite well with no or fairly minimal changes against non-horde lists, which is something that is hard to do with some other armies.

Also, every unit on their army list but kroot and vespids can get its hands on the pinning ability - that won't work against many orc/nid lists but the ones it does work on can be absolutely screwed by all that pinning.

Offline Gentleman Fate

• SirBruce
  • There are no heroes left in man
    • Shoot-Tau-Thrill
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Burst cannons on the Stealth teams and Crisis units Flamers and Air-Bursting Frag launchers, coupled with lots of high-powered shots from the main infantry can DESTROY a horde of Tyranids (who are generally weak against templates) and Orks (who are forced to rely mostly on cover saves).
Seeing how the Crisis unit is the most variable unit in the game, the Tau can be good at just about everything. It is how you use them and how you equip them that matters.
"If you were smart you would have rolled a six."
- Spencer Young, God amongst men.

"ok, my boys are disembarking now, and since i have no shooting, theyr gonna run then assault" me-"Umm... you went flat out, AND you aren't Fleet" him-"But this is a trukk and these are boyz. they can do it because they believe they can do it" me-"...Right." -Kabal

It's cool to shoot 2 plasma cannons.....INTO YOUR PLAGUEMARINES.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
That's really a "how long is a piece of string" question.

answer: twice as long as it is to the middle.

Tau don't have the volume of fire to take horde armies by just laying down shots, but they do have an excellent mix of mobility and firepower, which if used well with a properly laid out army list can do quite well against hordes.  And that same list often works quite well with no or fairly minimal changes against non-horde lists, which is something that is hard to do with some other armies.

Also, every unit on their army list but kroot and vespids can get its hands on the pinning ability - that won't work against many orc/nid lists but the ones it does work on can be absolutely screwed by all that pinning.

I'll agree and disagree with some of this... because:

YES, Tau are VERY adept at dealing with horde armies. I do agree that their strength lies in mobile firepower - but it does have to be said that the firepower employed does generally tend to allow you to deal with numbers. basically, the tau have less mobility that the eldar, less out and out firepower (number of guns) than the imperial guard but have a middle ground that can make them devastating.

Whilst pinning is often a sore point against nids and orks it is not completely useless... those armies can find themselves pinned under engineered circumstances (which the tau can achieve through their mobile firepower picking off key elements prior to employing pinning weapons)...

however, when you look at the sheer volume of shots that tau armies can dish out its not hard to see that horde control shouldnt be that much of a concern to a well thought out army list... its target priority whilst playing that often causes the issue.