News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k abandoning the codex in 2 years  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
40k abandoning the codex in 2 years
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:39 AM »
 I don't know if you've seen this already, but there has been some fuss going on started by a somewhat vague rumour posted by Hastings on Warseer (here is an ongoing discussion and the collected statements).

With the AoS out I can't say that this would surprise me if it happened.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 40k abandoning the codex in 2 years
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:38 AM »
A fuss that Hastings actually states is nothing more than scaremongering or misleading on the part of the person who started the thread you linked. Hastings actually uses the words "I am going to leap to the conclusion that 40k will change...." Put this with his other statement about changes to Codicies and you get the beginning of a rumour that doesn't provide much detail but will undoubtedly lead to a lot of arguments in forum posts.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Radec

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:37 AM »
 It is very vague, as I said. The only concrete thing he's stating is that the codex will be no more in two years. Whether the core rules will change to accommodate is being speculated by others. The most believable speculation I've read is that there may be campaign books with detailed lists and formations ala AoS missions.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:43:24 AM »
I suppose what I was trying to say is that the rumour is so vague that any discussion based on it might just turn into wishlisting.

Given that we have already seen the AoS style "use all of your models" and campaign releases such as Shield of Baal for 40k it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this could be GW testing the water. Wasn't there a time when 40k didn't have any Codicies?
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Radec

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
Wasn't there a time when 40k didn't have any Codicies?

"Rogue trader" has had all the stats in the rulebook, I think. Each edition after it has implemented the codex structure.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »
If I'm going to guess (and I am), this *seems* to mean they will stop making new codexes. They will re-do all the existing ones and then stop. After that it will just be campaign books/special formation boxes, and such. Two years seems a reasonable timeline in which to do that. I don't even find that idea terribly objectionable. It would be nice to work within a set group of army rules for a while.

And I also don't believe it for a minute. "Forever" in business terms is just "so long as we make money not doing it." If Age of Sigmar tanks, for instance (and it probably will), expect to see the "triumphant return" of more traditional WHFB inside of a few years. They might keep the world blown up, but they'll go back to army books, regiments, the whole bit. 

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »
I'm OK with it as long as we get some of those sweet AoS rules for our units.
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
Tentative.  I'd prefer better rules than no codexes (yes it should be codices but that's GW for you) :P
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »
@ Wydrr

I could live with that.  Actually, that would be pretty sweet.  You'd have a Codex for keeps, and you can then add the stuff you want as they think them up.  Not a bad way to go.

I hope they don't get rid of Codexes though.  I'm pretty found of them.  But as Warhammer:End Times, Warhammer:Age Of Sigmar and the renaming of the Imperial Guard showed us, anything could happen these days.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 07:22:31 AM »
3rd Edition had army lists for every force in the main book to tide people over until their Dexes came out and I actually loved what it did for my Eldar. AV14 on the front armor of my War Walkers was awesome!

As for the rumors... I wouldn't be surprised but it really wouldn't affect the way I play. I'd just keep rocking 7th edition. My attitude is hey they may release 8-million editions of D&D but nothing is stopping me from continuing to play 2nd edition.

I for one hope they stop the Codex re-hash. I'd much prefer them take on the Forge World approach... Campaign Books with unique units and narrative army lists featured in the campaign book. I love scenario play and wish it had equal representation in terms of frequency of play alongside tourneys and pick-up play. I think it takes a lot of the angst out of the game.

I think they were previewing the approach with Stormclaw, Shield of Baal, and the Apocalypse Warzone books (which are actually pretty cool). I was very bummed when they ceased the Campaign support right around the time Dark Eldar dropped. But I bet they'll begin against this fall when AoS slows down.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:19:49 AM »
I can add something to this discussion.  Recently an old friend got in touch and told me that he'd been speaking with a manager at GW Nottingham (HQ).  The person in question had informed my friend that GW were definitely on the path to going full-digital with rulebooks/codices by about 2018.

On a personal note, this would sadden me, I like the feel of a book.  I also don't want to have to buy an expensive reader just to load a codex onto.  And I'll say it again....I like books.

-Reborn.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
That sounds like something they would do.  Digital copies must be a hell of a lot cheaper to produce than books.  But yeah, I like books too. 

Does going full digital mean that they'll be phasing out codexes though?

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
Hi CC. :)

According to my friend's source, yes it does.  I would prefer to have a choice. :(

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »
I can add something to this discussion.  Recently an old friend got in touch and told me that he'd been speaking with a manager at GW Nottingham (HQ).  The person in question had informed my friend that GW were definitely on the path to going full-digital with rulebooks/codices by about 2018.

I hope your friend is wrong. The day that 40k goes digital only is the day that I stop buying 40k.

As discussed in the "is this the end" post in General 40k and in this post hopefully what your friend has picked up on is the rumour that new Codex releases are due to stop and be replaced by Formations/campaign releases. As we can see from the Wulfen and Tau, new models and new rules no longer means new Codex.

I find it really annoying that GW has released a digital version of Codex Space Wolves - Wulfen Edition but not a hardback.

Actually now that I have written that maybe this is what your friend is alluding to. Release a new digital only Codex that includes the old Codex plus new stuff from the recently released Campaign and then people like me that want a hardback version have to buy the existing Codex and Campaign books.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:56:08 AM by Alienscar »

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
This seems unlikely, especially seeing as how Age of Sigmar has been working: all of the rules are available for free digitally, but GW are still producing physical "Battle Tomes" for the different forces.

Also, there's no reason for any GW manager to know this yet, and even less reason for them to share it if they did...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »
Hello to you too Reborn. :)

I really hope that real books will continue in GW in some shape or form.

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
I can't see a logical reason why they would drop codecs as I would think they bring in a burst of cash each time they update one. Unlike with AoS where there would be/were a lot of angry players and it allows for a cheaper buy in to the system to try and boost interest.

I recall back when  (6th or was it 7th?) first dropped the talk was then they planned on getting all the codecs up to date and from there releasing supplements. It would seem Iyanden/Sentinels of Terra etc style were trialled and have since been replaced by Shield of Baal/Curse of the Wulfen campaign supplements instead.

If this turns out to be the case then my thinking is similar to that of Alienscar. Going digital might just mean they keep the digital codecs up to date but if you want physical copies then you'd buy the old/slightly out dated codex in addition to campaign books.

Worst case GW decides rules dont sell models and decide they can live without an accompanying game system like I have seen some people propagate then I think some of the folks from the ETC would pick up the ball like they did with fantasy. I'm not concerned.

Offline Unlimited

• "Yeah, that's just a sideways 8."
« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
Worst case GW decides rules dont sell models and decide they can live without an accompanying game system like I have seen some people propagate then I think some of the folks from the ETC would pick up the ball like they did with fantasy. I'm not concerned.

They do seem to be going in that directly. Recent reports from GW seem to have them calling themselves a "miniatures company" and not a "game company."

I was excited to see the change to AoS in fantasy. Though it did not play out the way they (and we) expected, I think they learned a lot about how their "market" behaves and what they want. Corvus Belli, Mantic, and Privateer Press don't charge for their rules. They'll need to do away with codicies to stay relevant.