News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tale of X Gamers - Conflict in Chautra Sector  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
Tale of X Gamers - Conflict in Chautra Sector
« on: September 1, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
(ooc: while waiting for mod approval for a child board, I'll start the topic here so that my group can start uploading their progress, pictures and fluff. If I do get a board, all of these stuff will be shifted over, meanwhile, enjoy!)
====================================

Conflict in Chautra Sector
Near the most dangerous edges of the Maelstrom sits Chautra, a sector rife with activities both anomalous and vicious. Bathed in warp energies, it is a region that reeks the essence of Chaos. Constantly avoided by Imperial patrols, Chautra is an ideal landmark for smugglers to engage in illegal commerce. But to do so is not without risk. Raging warp storms occur on a regular basis, hitting passing vessels and space hulks. Random energy tendrils rupture hulls and breach bulkheads, sending many to oblivion.

Of planets, many worlds in Chautra have succumbed to the destructive warp forces. Torn into little pieces, their remnants are scattered throughout the region like loose grain over an obsidian plane. Amongst this decoration of destruction are space hulks devastated by the warp energies, left to drift for all eternity. This garden of rock and ruin forms the Path of Thorns.

Only a few worlds in Chautra have endured the wrath from the warp energies. Most are barely habitable and littered with space hulks that dared the perils and failed. On the planet surface, scavengers and pirates lie in wait amongst the ruins, preying upon unsuspecting explorers or desperately looking for useful scrap and working parts in the ancient debris.

Now... six forces have arrived, each with a goal, a prize to claim...

A Quest for the Avian 3rd Mechanized Regiment
The recent sacking of the Imperial city in Imar III by the Avian Airborne has secured classified information of a treasure buried somewhere in one of the worlds in Chautra. The Bountiful Angel, a massive merchant ship that belonged to the renegade Vandire during the age of Apostasy, was rumored to have crashed in one of the planets in the sector thousands of years ago…

It was said to be full of relics and weapon caches usurped from when Vandire lorded over the Ministorum. Opportunists and pirates alike have scoured the sector in search of this treasure but many succumbed to the dangers in the sector before it could be found.

Determined to recover the treasure for the good of Avia, the Lord Commander has dispatched the Avian 3rd Mechanized Company of the Thunderers, the Iron Palm of Raven to seek out this grounded hulk and the treasures that lie within.

Arrival of Hive Fleet Vampyroteutis

Amongst the few splinter fleets that escaped the Ultramarine’s wrath, a new Hive Fleet which has assimilated the weaker and disparate fleets is moving into the edges of the Chautra system. Already elements of its vanguard have devoured several Imperial observation posts and pirate hideouts. Distress signals sent in wake of the invasion were drowned by the powers of the unstable warp space, concealing the whereabouts of the Tyranid attack. This makes them an unseen force in this dangerous region of space.

Blood and Iron

In hot pursuit of their quarry, the Iron Hands of the Sorrgol Clan Company and Melchion of the Knights of Ruin have entered the most dangerous region of the Chautra sector, the Path of Thorns. One could not pin point the exact location of the other as warp interferences disrupted onboard detection systems. 

The Knights of Ruin, impatient to the point of rage, opened up its gun batteries to clear a path, vent some anger and hopefully generate enough attention to bring them their prey...

Waaagh! DograG-gh
With nothing more than an occasional scrap between themselves and corsairs, Waaagh! DograG-gh slowly drifts through space on a Rok, unfazed by the surrounding warp storms. Oblivious to the rising warp energies surrounding them, the Orks prepared to land as they positioned their hulk over orbit of a massive planet.

Discovering themselves in the midst of a massive graveyard of ships and ruins, the remnants of Waaagh! DograG-gh began the arduous process of stronghold construction. It seems the Orks will rebuild their strength unhindered in this part of the galaxy…

Then, without warning, a massive explosion shook the rickety foundations. A mushroom cloud ascended, colouring the sky with a shade of muddy green. The Orks of DograG-gh revealed toothy grins. It appears that other Orks have landed on this planet.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:09:21 AM by Talon Raven »
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
Re: Tale of X Gamers - Conflict in Chautrra Sector
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
The rough plan is this, all six of us will aim to build a 1500pts force, dedicated to our chosen factions, by the end of the project. However, due to Forgeworld's heavy server error (resulting in two players being unable to full start with the project), the aim for all six players is to build a minimum force of one HQ, and two Troops choice as per the army lists submitted to the co-organizers before the kickoff of the project.

These series of posts will chronicle the progress of all our armies, and 40kOnline will be our judge and jury, to give comment and provide opinions on our work. At the end of every month, I will aim to produce a PDF document that archives each month's acheivements and provide better reading.

Bernard - the Iron Hands Chapter
The first of the six of us to produce some work, in one day too, is Bernard, building the Iron Hands chapter. He has for us a Techmarine on a bike, converted to have a servo-harness as well. Introducing Brother Phobos, second-in-command of this Iron Hands Company:

« Last Edit: September 1, 2008, 09:42:06 AM by Talon Raven »

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
Re: Tale of X Gamers - Conflict in Chautra Sector
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »
We are nearing the end of the second week of the Tale of X Gamers, and more models have been done up. Also, check out the fluff in the first post for an updated version on the Orks!

Soo - Orks of the Goff Clan
The second of the six of us to have finished up some models to be shown off! Soo has for us a squad of 10 Ork Boyz, and has the following to say about his Boyz:

There is no better way to kick start the painting of an army by doing up some honest infantry 

Here are the first ten Slugga Boyz done for the tale:

The Ork skin are given a coat of 1:1 camouflage green and cayman green followed by sepia wash and a camouflage green highlight. This creates a dirty green appearance that kind of fits my opinion of the Orks, brutal thugs with very little regard for basic hygiene.

The metals are done with a combination of washes in browns and blacks, and dry brushed with silver. The edges are picked out by the excellent metallic medium from the Vallejo model colour range. It is equivalent to a metallic white which acts as a bright highlight.

The pants are done with charadon granite, and the straps are done with a base coat of cobra leather highlighted with a hint of plague brown.

The rest of the blacks are done with a hard outline of neutral grey, followed by a coat of black ink, which tones down the grey to create a more subtle highlight.

Next in line are even more Slugga Boyz, followed by the 2 heavies and the Nob.. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:01:09 AM by Talon Raven »

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:00:41 AM »
Aaaaand the third to produce results...!

Nick - Tyranids of Hive Fleet Vampyroteutis
Proud owner of an entire Hive Fleet (we kid you not), Nick here plans to build the last 1500pts of his Hive Fleet with the Tale of X Gamers. This time, he has his Gaunts and a step by step process to show us how he did it:

These first 3 pictures essentially represent the 1st stage of my paint job. Its a black undercoat with red gore highlights on the carapace.

The next two pictures show the 2nd stage of the painting progress, where the 2nd coat consists of blood red and orange fire+Hot orange highlights on the carapace and edges.

And this is the shape of things to come. Part of my 10000 point Tyranid Horde!

Stay tuned for as more armies gather for the Conflict in Chautra Sector! My Demolisher should be done up, soon.

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
The fourth is none other than yours truely, Talon Raven, aka Zack!

Zack - Imperial Guard of the Avian Regiments, 3rd Mechanized, Iron Palm of Raven

Recently, I have been hit by a bout of un-motivation to paint up my stuff, but I was still determined to fulfill the Grand Plan of Avia. When my group came up with the idea of the Tale of X Gamers, I jumped on, so as to seek re-inspiration. Now I'm slightly better, I can paint with people around at the store, but I get the dumps at home. Well, small steps.

And I apologize for the lack of updates for the Grand Plan of Avia, the first squad of mechanized infantry should be coming up soon. For now, delight in the first Demolisher of the Iron Palm of Raven!

The Tank Commander was formerly supposed to be the Command Demolisher of an Apocalypse Leman Russ Demolisher Squadron, but lack of Command Tank bitz kinda stopped me in my tracks. No matter, I have the perfect Tank Commander, hehehee.

Stay tuned for the squad of Mech Infantry, coming your way, sooner. Or later.

These will also appear in the Grand Plan of Avia, and in Your IG Army thread.

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
And Bernard once again has something to share with us, this time he has a rather awesome conversion for his Techmarine boss. Behold: Iron Father Chromium!

Iron Father Chromium is a true hero of the Iron Hands. An adept of the Machine God and a brilliant fighter, he stood alone at the gates of Tyrus Hive on Medusa V against an unrelenting wave of Traitor Guard, fighting amongst the dead of his fallen brothers, standing firm and resolute so as to allow the Imperial citizens to escape and for reinforcements from his chapter to arrive. Space Marines were already monsters in their own right, but even more so when blessed by the gifts of the Omnisiah. Mechandendrite struck out at the heretics, plasma burned through the air and power-axe sliced at any who dared to step within a few feet of the gate. The traitors had to bring in heavy firepower to remove Iron Father Chromium from the gate, but his duty was already done. He had held the gate long enough before the rest of his chapter arrived and annihilated the remaining traitors.

Iron Father Chromium was greviously wounded, his body blown into half. It was only with the hasty arrival of the Apothecaries, the adepts of the Machine God and the blessing of the Emperor did he survive the recovery. Now, he is augmented onto a cybernetic steed, and ready to lead the fight against the foul enemies of the Imperium once more.

And here he is:

Bernard has this to say: "He's officially the most heavily armed Space Marine around."

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
Nick comes through with the last photos of his completed Gaunts. He has this to say:

Alrite,my gaunts are finally finished! lolx!

As u can see from the picts,i've added the final
touches....I.e the eyes,teeth,details to the exposed
flesh areas and the bio weapons-fleshborers and
spinesfists,as well as markings esp ard the face and
chin. Red and Livery green are used for these parts.

All in all,i'm very happy with the overall result.
Though being just merely cannon fodder,i think even
the lowliest 'grunt' deserves to go out with respect
and style,hahaxx!!

The entire effect in terms of my color scheme manages
to depict a dark,brooding and menacing look to my
Tyranid horde. Its 'unflashy',subtle and deadly.

Together,this first stage of paintjob comprises of 16
Hormagaunts,8 Termagants and 8 Spinegaunts.....out of
the other 100 i've,hee.

Next up! A Dakka Flyrant and Genestealers! Hopefully
my Flyrant arrives by nxt month that is. Stay tuned
for the Hivemind!

Here weee go!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:00:13 AM by Talon Raven »

Astra what now?

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:10:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Bernard has this to say: "He's officially the most heavily armed Space Marine around."

Now that is a beauty!   :o

Where did you get the mechanized horse body for this Konversion?

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:37 PM »
It's the WFB steam horse..... anyway.... very original... havn't seen that yet...way to go with that.

Hmmm, maybe I can take that and Nurgle it up.... ohh ohh ohhhhhh......

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
@ NewHeretic: Aye, that's the Mechanical Steed from the Warhammer Fantasy Empire Master Engineer.

@ Sanctjud: It's a free world.  ;)

Into the sixth week, and now, KC has something to show for his Orks! He has included a small diary for all to see the speed of his progress...

==================

KC - Waaagh! DograG-gh

Day 1:

Ok, lesse now...

Target: 2 Troops, 1 HQ.
Choices: 12 Shoota boyz with Trukk, 12 Slugga boyz with Trukk, one WierdBoy.

Rough Schedule: 1 Ork troop choice per month, so that leaves the last month for 2 Trukkz and one WierdBoy. I think it can be done...
*looks at already 1/2-assembled trukks... which are 1/2 assembled after FOUR months or more*
... errr... and at worst case, I can drop the Trukks and still field 1 HQ 2 Troops. Yup, that's the plan...

Day 4 (approx):
Got a few Shootaz assembled (read: 8 shootas), plus a Nob.
*lights up the Airgun*
WAAAAGH!!!
*Room becomes green. May be an exaggeration*

Day 7 (approx):
"Today, you shall be known as da Smik!"
Starts slapping on paint left and right on the poor guy.

*2 hours later* Color scheme (for the Shootaz at least) finalized: Grey shirt, dark brown straps, brownish pants, black guns.

2 days later:
*I remember I finished basic colors on all 8 Boyz, and was starting on the Nob, when the other Ork participant of the Tale (and regarded by myself as one of my store's BEST painters) asked a question*
Question: "what clan do they belong to?"
Answer: "Ah crud..."

About 3 hours later:
Answer: "They are Bloodaxes. Little bits of black on the gray shirt = camouflage!!" (also fits the fluff: my army is a left-over mish-mash of 3 clans from a failed WAAAGH!)

Deflated at about 2 minutes later, by Mr "Tale" Organizer:
Question: "Your army's fluff mentioned Bad Moons, Snake Bites and Goffs right? Where do the Blood Axes come in?"
Answer: "Errrr... you read it wrong. Ya, that's right..."
*Edited the army fluff that very night the moment I reached home. Bye bye Goffs, Hello B.Axes...*

Day 13 (approx):
Added highlights. And shade. And highlights. Still doesn't look "proppa". Added more highlights. And shades. Even more highlights. Finally, they are done...
Dang Murphy and his law. A close friend have to, at that VERY MOMENT, to teach me how to add even more ubar highlights. AND Shading. AND Highlights.

Day 20 (approx):*lights up the Airgun*
WAAAAGH!!!
3 hours later: Note to self: when mixing paint outside the gun, do NOT mix too much. I sprayed all the models that could be sprayed (4 shoota boyz,  12 Sluggas, and 2 deff Kopters that I happen to have assembled) but still have quite a bit left over, and in the end I had to pour those away...

Later that day...:
Added a hell lot more highlights. And shading. A LOT more than planned. Became the butt-monkey of "You poured SO MUCH work into such a low pointage models!? Drybrush them and be done with it!" comments... a long time ago, but the comments still continue to come in.

On a good note, 3 boxes worth of Black Reach (I shared boxes with 2 others) that I got a day or three ago means I got a lot of easy to assemble Big Shootas + Sluggas. It'll help.

Note: Someone commented on the fact I got my degrees of effort switched around: my Blood Angels army (my only other army) is pretty much a bashed together job (example: my tacticals are mostly Airgun + 2 slaps of paint = finished), while my Orkz are painstakedly assembled, modded and painted to the best of my abilities...

But everytime I see those Orkz... I just want to slap on bling!!

Day 27 (approx):
Tally at the last weekend of the month:
7 Shootaz and one PK Nob, fully done.
(Read: "NO FORCE ON EARTH is going to MAKE me Touch these guys again!!"
Follow up comment: "Ok, you can't touch them = you can't pack them away. They're mine :D")
4 shootas in progress. (and while writing this, I had a thought: Wait a min... where is that big shoota??)
10+ Sluggas still green
Still needs 1~2 slugga, 1 Nob w PowerKlaw, 2 Big Shootas

This is not good... I'm slightly behind schedule currently...

Now for pictures...

Caption: Da Boyz, front view... Heyz! Where's da Big shoota?

Caption: Da Boyz, back view

Caption: Da Boyz, 'eady ta Dakka!

Caption: Da Nob... oh, and take a guess why he got his Klaw?
Clue: He like to raise his hands all the time...

Caption: Guess who's unfinished...

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
Zack - Imperial Guard of the Avian Regiments, 3rd Mechanized, Iron Palm of Raven
And Commander Talon Raven is next up with another update of his Guard!

What is a Mechanized army without infantry? An Armoured Company. Not what I'm going for. Hence, a squad of infantry has been painted up, ready to take the field as an Armoured Fist in an urban battlefield.

And WIP Avian Veterans, as a preview of things to come.

Don't quite like the sculpting for this one, might have to redo it.

Hang tight, for the Avian Veterans are next on my to-do list!

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
Stealers,everybody fears them. Everybody hates them. But the Hivemind Adores them,lol!

My troops are all done. Still waiting for my FLYRANT and then to paint up the Fexes;)

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »
Introducing... Iron Father Titanicus! High ranking techmarine in the clan company, not a member of the force patrolling the sector.

Favourite quote: "I hate Sicarius"

And the first batch of Iron Hand Tactical Marines are done!

And a Terminator:

Bernard was guilty of straying away from the Tale, his reason was that he was unused to painting Tactical Marines. That's alright, he has his Assault Marine Vet Sargeant Shiloh of Shrike's Wing as testament...

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:31:30 AM by Talon Raven »

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #13 on: November 7, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
After weeks of seeming inactivity, Nick has even MORE Nids to show... making him the fastest painting amongst us all! He has this to say:

Alrite folks,my next batch dun up are my Warriors and
rippers. The warriors kind of rep.my 'psuedo' HQ until
i fin.my Flyrant...hopefully by nxt week. With the new
edit.of 40k rules,i can't pass up the temptation to
arm most of my warriors with Deathspitters! An despite
wat others may rant, Rending Claws too for desired
effect.
 The rippers are just part of a large swarm of these
little babies that i intend to SWARM the enemy with
just to irritate the hell out of anyone,hahaxx!! Enjoy!

I say... wait till you see his big guys!

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
I've intended to wait till I was done converting the Meltagunners for my Veterans, but turns out I can't let my painting rival get away with finishing most of his work!

So here are the shotgun armed Avian Veterans of the Mechanized Companies!

Yes, I've only just realized they look like Zombies. Must be the skin tone.

And the next thing you can expect to see from me:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:38:37 AM by Talon Raven »

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
Nick continues to be one of our steadiest painters, so efficient that I had to stagger his posts such that it would seem that the rest of us are doing something as well! He has this to say:

YES!! Unbelievably,Its finally dun! My DAKKA TYRANT!!
I've completed my 1 HQ and 2 troop choices at
last,lolx! And suffice to say,I'm proud of my little
achievement with large doses of modesty attached to
it,hee. I also would like to thank a friend of
mine,AKA: "Eastern Heretic" for his contribution to
the "Forging" of the Tyrant's unique DEVOURER CANNON!
Its something u definitely can't miss out of the
obvious for sure. Enjoy the TERROR folks!
Btw,upcoming next if time permits are my 2 other Heavy
Support: The CRUSHER FEX and the BILE FEX. Bad to the
bone i say,lolx!!

Astra what now?

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »
Remember what I said about staggering? Aye, Nick's got a couple of Carnifexes almost done up, and it's only right that there's something in between!

That's right, this is Major Lukas Hartmann's Command Squad, one of the Avian High Command. As y'all could soon guess, the Avian 3rd is actually somewhat based off the Panzergrenadier forces of the WWII Germany Army. You will notice that some of the officers will have distinctive German sounding names, and I'm actually planning a Chimera that would have a German-style Armoured Skirts.

Meanwhile, here's his Command, complete with Standard Bearer (which is lovingly hand-painted) and pet Squig (counts as a Veteran Guardsman with LPCCW)!

Astra what now?