News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Saim Hann 1000 pt army list MK II  (Read 3716 times)

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
  • Armies: Space Marines, Space Wolves
Saim Hann 1000 pt army list MK II
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
About 3 months ago I posted an army list and asked what people thought. I was trying to steer it towards 'nid-killyness, but now I want to make it more rounded as an army, to make an "all-comers" list, as it were. It's basically very similar, but would it be effective?

Autarch|Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters|130pts
Fire Dragons|x5, +Exarch - Firepike, Tank Hunters, Crack Shot|131pts
Jetbike Squad|x3, Shuriken cannon|76pts
Vyper|Scatter Laser, Shuriken cannon|70pts
Shining Spears|x2, +Exarch - Withdraw, Skilled Rider|152pts
Falcon|Shuriken cannon, Starcannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |215pts
Total
= 1001pts

If you remember my last list (which I doubt TBH :P) you can see I haven't really done much too it.
I was considering a Dragon Breath for the Fire Dragon Exarch, but I thought with a small squad its better to complement instead of supplement the units abilities, and also half of the crack shot ability would be wasted, as flamers already ignore cover.
The Falcon's pretty much fully kitted, and should have a high survivability, so it can get the Fire Dragons where I want/need them.
I've got a hard hitting anti-tank squad with the Falcon riding Fire Dragons, and a hard hitting assault squad with the Shining Spear bodyguard for the Autarch.
So, any C&C anybody?

Saim-Hann Rules!

P.S. Am I right in saying that a Fire Dragon Exarch (armed with a fusion gun) with crack shot can instant-kill SMs 8/10 times?
P.P.S Also, I need a name for my Wild Host, any ideas? I've got a sort of skeleton hand theme going with the GJBs, if that helps at all. Preferable something in Eldar, but I might just call them The Misfits :P, anybody ever seen those gloves? - http://www.grenadegloves.com/product.php?product=282&cat=

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: Saim Hann 1000 pt army list MK II
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
I guess Moc065 will be here...

___________________ ___________________ ___

If you ever get the points for it:

I prefer my Autarch with a fusion gun as well, just in case you'd like that extra AT shot.

IMO, firedragons don't need all that extra exarch goodies you've tacked on... they should really be in melta range with a god-falcon transport, and that, in most cases is enough... bad to hit rolls don't change with all that gear.

I believe you should do something about the jetbike squads, 3 min sizes are not entirely friendly... I like having a minimum of 2 squads of 6 with 2 shuriken cannons each... the more dice you throw down, the more they seem to hit for me...

I'm not too thrilled of using Vypers in a low points games, lots of things can hurt it, and the way you are playing there's going to be few available targets for the enemy, so their targets are either to glance the falcon or down the vypers...

Shining Spears as a 'retinue' for the Autarch, IMO, would benefit with one more jetbike.

A god-falcon is a god-falcon.

As for nid killy, IMO, drop the Vypers and get more jetbikes into the Troops section and with enough points even get a warlock with Destructor.

Nids have some decently ranged guns that will most likely glance the falcon and have mid str many shot weapons to bring down the vypers (unless you hug the table edge like a mad man).

Otherwise, it's all about application, and usually not a list tailored towards killing a particular army...that's what an Eldar is IMO.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments Sanctjud, but I think you may have slightly misread what I wrote, I said I did make a more anti 'nid list. Now I'm just trying to make a good "all comers" list ;D.

But most of your points are helpful, and I can see what you mean about the squads of 3 jetbikes. How about 1 squad of 6, and 1 squad of 3?

I see exactly what you mean about the Fire Dragons. That will get some points... How about this?

Fire Dragons|x5, +Exarch|108pts
Jetbike Squad|x6, Shuriken cannon x2|152pts
Falcon|Shuriken cannon, Starcannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |215pts
Total
= 973pts

So, I need 30 more points for a Warlock with Destructor to put in one of my jetbike units. I could do that by dropping the Starcannon on the Falcon and using the Shuriken cannon on the turret instead. Worth it? And if I do do that, which Jetbike unit should the warlock be in?

Offline ryanscav

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:15:43 PM »
you can also drop the exarch from the fire dragons, as he would be better as just another dragon.

put the warlock with destructor with your larger unit of jetbikes. this unit will try to be agressive and shoot all of its shuricats and destructor, while the other unit should sit back.. pop out, shoot, and pop back in.

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
Fire Dragons|x6|96pts
Jetbike Squad|x6, Shuriken cannon x2, Warlock - Destructor|207pts
Falcon|Shuriken cannon, Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |195pts
Total
= 996pts

I see what you mean about the exarch, without any extras its probable better to spend the points on something else. It's looking alright now, but I'm not sure about the falcon now. I think it may be better like this:

Falcon|Scatter Laser, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |195pts
or
Falcon|Missile Launcher, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |200pts
Bringing the army total to 1001pts

But then the dual shuri-cannon version does have it's merits.

Thoughts?

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
1) Drop a Vyper for 2 more shinning spears.
2) Doesn't Moc suggest a warlock with enhance in his 6 man squad?  Plus, it would help you in cc.

Offline ranger_55

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
Falcon |Missile Launcher, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines  |200pts
Bringing the army total to 1001pts

If you use the missile launcher you will only be able to fire plasma missile if you want to fire the pulse laser, why not give a star cannon a try, this gives the vehicle a dedicated anti-terminator (or just regular MEQ) role. Plus if say the enemy has no tanks the firedragons can jump out and add another 5-6 anti-termie shots...
This is the digital age..we don't need a script!

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
Here is the list to this point
Add the Fusion Gun, seriiously.
Fire Dragons|x6|96pts
(113) 6 with Ex, and Dragon crack as you get all the anti-tank goodness, plus you get that flamer for guys in cover, bunched up hordes, and the squad is even very effective on things like Termies.
Jetbike Squad|x6, Shuriken cannon x2, Warlock - Destructor|207pts
Thats a little larger than I woudl suggest, as 7 JB's are difficult to keep hidden if you need to; I run 4 or 5 including the Warlock.
Pretty standard and its still very effective as lonag as you only use 1-2 squads like this (min/max)
Good
Good
Too small, try and get a 4th, if you can.
Falcon|Shuriken cannon, Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |195pts
Too much if you ask me, its is shaken so often that the Shuri-cannons are near useless, but if you have the points then take 2, otherwise 1 is enough for me; as its a transport first and then a Gunship.

I didn't total it, nice way to post the list though, very easy to read... Thanks.

CaHG

Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »
*Warning* - Contains stating of the obvious - *Warning*

If I'm going to add something, I need to drop something.

That's my little joke over :P, but yeah, what could I drop, there's the shuri-cannon on the Falcon, but what else. I know GoofyCommy suggested a vyper, but I like my vypers :P. Kind of a lame reason, I know.

And, ranger_55, I didn't even think of that actually, the whole missile launcher thing.

Unfortunately the Shining Spear squad isn't going to get bigger, and thats basically done to money. As far as I'm aware, they only come in packs of 3, and I don't want to get another box of them for one more. I know you get extra bits, and I could probable build another, but I don't have another jetbike, which would cost me £6, or actually slightly less from Ebay.

So here's today's version of the list:

Fire Dragons|x6, Exarch - Dragon Breath Flamer, Crack shot|113pts
Jetbike Squad|x3, Shuriken cannon, Warlock - Destructor|131pts
Falcon|Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines |185pts
Total
= 1003pts

I'm trying to incorporate all your points, and it is kinda hard :P, because I'm not to experienced with Eldar, i.e. I played 1 battle at 500 points :P. I actually prefer the smaller squads of jetbikes, because I prefer to keep them at shuri-cannon range for as long as possible. But anyways, ive gtg now, so no more of my comments.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »
Here is a rework for you.

Autarch |Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters, fusion gun |140pts
Fire Dragons |x6, Exarch - Dragon Breath Flamer, Crack shot |113pts
Jetbike Squad |x3, Shuriken cannon, Warlock - Destructor, spear |134ts
Jetbike Squad |x3, Shuriken cannon |76pts
Vyper |Scatter Laser, Shuriken cannon |70pts
Shining Spears |x3, +Exarch - Withdraw, Skilled Rider |187pts
Falcon |Shuriken cannon, Shuri cannon Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines, Star-E  |210pts
 Total = 1000pts Dead on,

Use the parts form the dropped squad to build the Spear.

CaHG

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »
ooo thats clever :P
That list looks gd to me.

Would you say that Star-Engines are necessary on the Falcon?

And the Spear on the Warlock? (Forget about that, just been looking at the rules for spears, and it seems necessary :P)

And I'm just wondering about it's ability to deal with MEQs. I suppose I'll have to do with all the str6 weaponry. They give out a decent amount of shots. And I suppose it's more about how their used as well. I do have units that can deal with MEQs easy, but... it's nice to think about these things :)

Look's like my "to buy" list is Fire Dragons and a Falcon. Maybe some parts for a warlock, but I think I will be ok.

Destructor is some form of lightning bolt, right? I've got some modeling ideas and I want to see if they're right :P

Cheers for comments moc065, and to everybody else.
I also appreciate the compliments of my list formatting, takes a while (after the first time I just copy and pasted it though) but I think if it's easy to read people are more likely to comment on it :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:15:35 PM by CODE BLACK »

Offline Jaradakar

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »
About 3 months ago I posted an army list and asked what people thought. I was trying to steer it towards 'nid-killyness, but now I want to make it more rounded as an army, to make an "all-comers" list, as it were. It's basically very similar, but would it be effective?

Fire Dragons|x5, +Exarch - Firepike, Tank Hunters, Crack Shot|131pts
Total
= 1001pts

If you remember my last list (which I doubt TBH :P) you can see I haven't really done much too it.
I was considering a Dragon Breath for the Fire Dragon Exarch, but I thought with a small squad its better to complement instead of supplement the units abilities, and also half of the crack shot ability would be wasted, as flamers already ignore cover.
The Falcon's pretty much fully kitted, and should have a high survivability, so it can get the Fire Dragons where I want/need them.

Personally I'm not sold on Vectored Engines.  They cost lots of points, and sort of save you if you moved fast and roll poorly.  But... next turn you can't move and sure as hell are going to get shoot up then.  So is it really saving you?  I lean towards not and like to spend the points else where.

I like to just stick to Holo Fields and Spirit Stones and then pick your weapons, for me that's plenty of durability.  I also just hate blowing tons of points on Wargear, smaller the point army the more IMO should be spent on bodies.

Offline linkai

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Every time I lose my falcon, my opponent rolls an 11.  Every time I take Vectored Engines, I get to shoot / annoy / be a pest with it another turn or two, for 20 points.  Plus, you still get the Holo-Field bonus on a penetration hit, which gives you a decent chance of *still* surviving more hits.  It's also VP denial.

However, on 1000 point lists you may be strapped for cash and just have to play a little more carefully with your Falcons.

I used to not take it, but now I think there are more pros than cons.

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 06:55:04 AM »
I'm also pretty sold on the use of VE, just not so on the Star engines.

But I think I may have just convinced myself in my head...
Star Engines means the Fire Dragons can blow stuff up quicker :P, to put it simply.

The Falcon does slightly annoy me, taking up >1/5 of my points total, but at long as I play it right, it should do it's job, which is to get the Fire Dragons where I want them.

I just though of another plus for the VEs, if the Falcon goes down with the Fire Dragons in it, they wont die :) (Straight away anyway)

So here's today's (And probable the final) version of the list:

Autarch|Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters, Fusion Gun|140pts
Fire Dragons|x6, Exarch - Dragon Breath Flamer, Crack shot|113pts
Jetbike Squad|x3, Shuriken cannon, Warlock - Destructor, Spear|134pts
Shining Spears|x3, +Exarch - Withdraw, Skilled Rider|187pts
Falcon|Shuriken cannon, Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines, Star Engines |210pts
Total
= 1000pts

As you can see, it's Moc065's rework of my list. I like it :), and its probable the cheapest out of all of them for me to complete. Which is always a plus (Y).

Now all I need to do is buy a Falcon & the Fire Dragons, convert a warlock, do something about the missing left arm for the spears (Only part I need to convert, in the end :P) and buy some paint..

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
Trust me when I tell you that the list can be very solid, as I have actually tested it, I played numerous 1K varients for hte lst 6 months or so, and this one is a very nice "Themed" one that has serious potential. It is not a "No-brainer" though so if you find it tricky PM me and I'll try and help you adjust for differnt opponents.

If you need parts, Let me know..... Maybe I can help you out, or maybe I kow a trick or two...

For paint your on your own. But Might I suggest some Black Primer, Soft dry brush with Grey, and then a lot of red(s).... to start things off.

OH and as for hte Vectored and Star engines, you had the points so I included them; I often don't use Star Engines; but the ability to totally re-locate up to 36" can be absolutely wicked. Timed right and it can be Game wining, especially if you can get the whole army to swing around and catch an enemy on his other flank.

CaHG

Offline CODE BLACK

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 07:25:49 AM »
I wouldn't expect any Eldar army to be a "no-brainer" :D
Thanks for the offer of help e.t.c.
I think what I've got for the paint scheme works mighty fine (If not a little slow :P)
Black Primer, several watered down coats of scab red (so there's perfect coverage, but it's not to thick), several watered down coats of red gore and then several watered down coats of blood red, and then highlight with blazing orange.
As you can probable tell, it does take a while, but the red I get at the end is totally worth it :P. I'll get a pick of my Autarch in the Eldar Army Pics topic when I've finished actually painting the autarch (the jetbikes done) if you wanna take a look at it.

Cheers, Code Black

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
A trick you can use when painting several thin coats is to do multiple figures at the same time, I often do 8-12 figures; although JB's work in parts (main, front end, rider) so about 6 is my limit in one block. I to use multiple think layers, and I actually use the biggest brush (tank brush) to do a lot of the work, firing down one thin layer on 6 Front ends, then 6 main sections, and then 6 riders in one session. Then take a break or carrying on tot he next layer as the stuff I did first is normally already dry. this can save a lot of time (drying time) wasted and speed things up dramatically.

Now, I can see what it looks like in your new Avatar (nice to see its not IG). And so far, it think it looks great; although you may want to make slight variations between units so that you can tell them apart on the table (different runes, etc).

Oh and if you don't mind, I will be adding this list to a project I am involved in and giving it a rating. So here goes.

Autarch |Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters, Fusion Gun |140pts
Fire Dragons |x6, Exarch - Dragon Breath Flamer, Crack shot |113pts
Jetbike Squad |x3, Shuriken cannon, Warlock - Destructor, Spear |134pts
Jetbike Squad |x3, Shuriken cannon |76pts
Shining Spears |x3, +Exarch - Withdraw, Skilled Rider |187pts
Falcon |Shuriken cannon, Shuriken cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit stones, Vectored Engines, Star Engines  |210pts
Total = 1000pts, 7 Scoring units, 21 Figures. 

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: Every unit has Anti-tank Potential; but someit that is very limited so overall its Very Good (.9)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Good AP weapons, loads of high strength stuff, and although its limited in numbers it can certainly concentrate fire/punch as needed, so overall i would say, Good (.8 )
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Its speed will hellp as well as some of the combo's available; but overall its just, Above Average (.7)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: A pretty even mix of firepower thorughout, so overal its, Above Average (.7)
5.. Assault potential: Only one dedicated Assault unit, although there are certain combo's and support available to it, so I think its just, Average (.6)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 7 Scoring units at 1K, is Very Good (.9)
7.. Durability or Resilience: There is a huge VP Denial potential and the figures are actually fairly tough (if used right), overal though its just, Above Average (.7)
8.. Flexability: Almost every unit has multitudes of uses, so its Good (.8 )
9.. Mission Capabiliy: It could get hurt by certain missions; but only if its played wrong, so overal I thnk it has the bases covered on this as well Good (.8 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: Fast, MEQ, Hit and Run... this is what Saim-Hann can be all about (subversive and brutal if timed right)... I see a lot of synergy here and I think this list could do well in most environments. Very Good (.9 )

Rating = 7.8/10 Others will score it differently; but its subversive style and unpredictability make it more effective than many would give it credit for. I know that there are tougher and more effective 1K lists out there; but this one has the potential to be fun and do well.

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:18:06 AM by moc065 »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »
Your list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project! You will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: 0
This is an example of why lists posted for critique need to be finished products rather than WIP. WIP lists [or works-in-progress] need additional input before they can be completed, so there is a lot of back-and-forth dialogue between members to this end. While this is a good thing for a list that's in development, it is very hard to offer a critique on a list that is still in development because it undergoes permutations. There is the inclination to not update the background material or the strategies, and just have readers assume that these are modified accordingly to the new army. However, one should never assume that others will know for certain what your new plan of attack is, or that your background material has been altered to match the new list or if it remains the same. Additionally it is hard to critique a list succesfully when flipping back and forth through different versions to get the full story. In the list above, which is the one I am reviewing, no background info is given except that the list derives largely from someone else's input. Not good!

Composition: 1
Even though the list is only set for 1000pts it is still decidedly short on troop elements. Given the theme at least one more jetbike squad would be nice, giving you some options for locking enemy units and dealing with a broader range of threats. Your list includes a Falcon and Fire Dragons, so is not as susceptible to the repeated weaknesses of an all-jetbike list, but you might have a hard time dealing with enemy hordes given your low model count. You have included units with good differentiation of primary roles.

Utility: .5
The reduction of 1 Vyper, 1 Shining Spear and the Withdraw power, and the star engines/second shuriken cannon on the vyper for the addition of a third jetbike team with warlock and cannon. Falcons tend not to shoot much, the star engines are unnecessary because the Fire Dragons in a falcon benefit from 12" deployment in front of board edge, 12" movement, 2" deployment, and 12" range, meaning on the first turn they can hit the enemy. On the second turn it becomes a definite, and this is the soonest you could fire if you used the star engines anyways. You are paying points for little if any benefit. A single spear is not so big a deal since your list indludes the Autarch, and the jetbikes are generally more versatile than a vyper, and typically more durable too. Also, the jetbikes delay the deployment of your Autarch, allowing you to set the spears and the Autarch together at a more fruitful position.

Flexibility: .5
Most of your units have the capability to handle any kind of target if played correctly. The similar unit types means you have incorporated a repeated vulnerability, but given the nature of your theme it actually isn't as bad as it might have been. Enemy model count is likely to be your toughest problem; fortunately, with the great speed of this list, it is possible to pick apart enemy opposition piecemeal, which evens the playing field a little. Great care will need to be taken to avoid early casualties.

Ingenuity: 0
Again, no mention is made here of your tactics, strengths, weaknesses, or even what tasks you intend to assign your units to. There is no mention of synergistic combos and no description of strategy. Add to this your mention of another member rewriting your list for you, and this spells trouble. Since a lot of the editing comes from other players it is imperative that you make known your understanding of the tactics, strategies, and weaknesses of this list. Otherwise, you are taking a weapon to battle which you have no experience wielding, and may end up beating the enemy's skull with a rifle rather than shooting at them.

Total Score: 2, indicating more work needs to be done
You take your biggest hits for not really providing an explanation for anything in your list. An army list on its own wins no battles; a great general with poor weapons can defeat an average general with great weapons. Be sure you understand your army list, and be sure to make readers aware that you understand your army.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2008, 09:45:46 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
Post reserved for Rating this List as part of the "Big List" Eldar Project.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.