News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar unit-Warplocks  (Read 1923 times)

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
Eldar unit-Warplocks
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:19:51 AM »
Warplocks

When the Eldar civilization was formed, before The Fall, there was not much need for the Eldar to follow the rigid constraint of the Eldar path. However, at the time of The Fall, there formed a secret organization of 22 Warlocks, and 11 Farseers, thus using the Eldar's power and knowledge, in hopes to learn more in depth of the power, and horrors that befell the Warp. They formed in order to be able to protect the Eldar race, should The Great Enemy ever take a strong enough hold on the Eldar to be able to decimate their race completely. They believed, due to their Team of Farseers that the Warp Spiders would eventually tear a hole to the Warp too large to mend, thus throwing the Eldar into a state of war once again.

The Farseers, known in the organization as Warpsights, were the wisest, and most experienced of all the Farseers, including Eldrad Ulthran, and when Eldrad was thrown into the state of unending struggle in the heart of the chaos fleet, the Warpsights were an instant away from reversing the effects of Abaddon's Blackstone Fortress, which would have engulfed the entire fleet, ending the Despoiler's Reign.

The Warplocks still remained hidden for many years, waiting for their chance to push the Chaos Legions back, and hopefully ending their torment of worlds, once and for all.

The Warplocks have been continously training their minds, and bodies, to be able to one day create enough raw emotion and feeling through the power of their Psychic abilities to create another Chaos God, but one that they could manipulate with enough of the Warplocks working together. However, the knowledge of how powerful Slaanesh is often strays their faith in themselves to depression, and worry towards every possibility that Slaanesh would only find a way to engulf the Eldar more quickly, should they do so.

These Eldar have been completely unheard of for the entirety of the organization's existance. Recently, the Biel-Tan were using the Warp Spiders' Warp Jump Generators continuously, testing the power of the contraption. When doing so, The Warplocks caught sight of the extended Warp jumps, and raced to the scene, hoping they could get there in time. When they reached the Biel Tan, it was too late. The Generators had ripped an enormous hole to the warp, just as the Warpsights had foretold.

It was then that the Warplocks emerged to defend their kin; fighting the thousands of Daemons that came through without ceasing, and eventually killed them all, and fixed the warp hole with the simple chant they had constructed to combat the Warp-crazed, all without losing any of the members. That day, the Eldar of each craftworld thanked the Warplocks for their heroism, and bravery in the act of saving the Eldar from the painful horrors they would have experienced at the hands of the Chaos Gods.

Since then, the Warplocks have split up, and increased their numbers to the thousands, for the chance that they may be needed once more.

Special Rules-
Fleet of Foot
Warplock Powers: Each Warplock may each take a psychic power as detailed below.

Link to the past: Warplocks have seen more of the remenants of Eldar from the ancient times before The Fall than anyone else, due to visits to the warp. The warplocks, and the Warpsights are Spirit Seers in all respects.

Warp-Trained: Warplocks have had many years of training, and their successors know everything they do, as the Warplocks have transferred their memories to the new recruits by a single touch to their forehead. The original Warplocks have undergone warp-missions in their quest to incorporate the Warp's powers as their own, or to increase the knowledge of the powers  within such. Warplocks, and Warpsights have a hightened toughness as described in their profile Vs Flamers, Heavy Flamers, Melta weapons, Flamestorm cannons, and anything that allows the Warplock's 2+ armor save to be used, as detailed in the Warp-Tested Cloak's entry.

Wargear: (Warplocks)

Warp-Tested Cloak:The Warplocks have discovered a Rune combination that has been tested to withstand the powers infested in the Warp, let alone the Mortal Realm. Warplocks have a 2+ armour save against any and all shooting weapons in either a Chaos Daemons, or Chaos Space Marines army, all types of Psychic power-inflicted wounds, even those with AP 1 or 2, and all weapons with that inflict instant death (unless it does so due to Strength 8 or higher weaponry that does not fall under the other reasons to give a 2+ armor save), and have a 4+ invulnerable save against everything, including the previously mentioned weapons. This Cloak wearer may also attempt to negate a psychic power entirely if one wishes to, and once per game, per cloak, the player may choose to roll a D6 to try and prevent the power from ever being used. On roll of 4, the psychic power is not prevented, but both the Warplock, and his target for the cloak both take an armor save.(2+ allowed) On a roll of 5, the psychic power counts as rolling a total of 11 for the result rolled, preventing the Targeted Psyker's ability from activating. On a roll of 6, the opposing player rolls a D6. On a 4+, the targeted Psyker counts as rolling two 1's, passing the psychic test, but taking a wound, allowing an invulnerable Save. If this save is not passed, the Psyker takes an additional wound, allowing armor saves. On a 3 or less, the psyker takes two wounds, no saves allowed, invulnearble or otherwise!

WarpBlade: Warplocks have been trained in the art of close combat, to the extent of prowess that the Terminator Assault Squads of the Imperium have been. Doing so to be able to combat Warp-Crazed beings, and anything that is Chaos-Infested, thus the Warpblade was created. The Warpblade is a Wraithsword, in all respects, that is too heavy for any normal person to carry, even the Warplocks! The Warplocks can use their psychic powers, however, to decrease the density of the metal that the blade is made from, thus making it lighter, and twice as fast as a Witchblade in combat! However, it is necessary for the Warplocks to concentrate their powers into doing so, using both hands to encorporate the psychic energies into the blade. Any less would deteriorate the effect of the Warplock's psychic power. The Warpblade is a 2 handed Power weapon, that encorporates +2 strength to the bearer.

Wargear: (Warpsights)

WarpBlade: as detailed above

Runes of Witnessing: As Detailed in the Eldar Codex

Runes of Warding: As Detailed in the Eldar Codex             

Spirit Stones: As Detailed in the Eldar Codex     

Warp-Cloak Prototype- As described in the Warplocks' entry for a Warp-Tested Cloak, the same applies to the Warpsights, except that the Warpsights' Cloaks have been not been actually tested by admission to the Warp. This is because the Warplocks rely too much on the Warpsights for guidance to risk losing one. This is illustrated by the Prototype version, which has been created to be much more effective, as far as they know, for it has not been tested yet. Prototypes have the same rules with the following exceptions:

-The given armor save is tested each time the Warpsight is applicable for a 2+ armor save, after all shooting from a squad, directed at the Warplocks, has been completed, and a wound has been allocated to the Warpsight, Roll a D6, on a 1, only the invulnerable save is permitted for this Shooting Phase. Continue, assuming the Warpsight might have the 2+ save during the next Shooting phase. You only need to roll once per phase, and only if a wound is allocated to the Warpsight.

-The invulnerable save given to a Warpsight is a 3+, as described in their profile.

Psychic Powers: (Warplocks)

Warplocks may take any of the Warlock Psychic abilities as detailed in the Warlock Entry (Except Enhance) in the Eldar Codex, and need not test for psychic powers as stated in this entry.

In addition, Warplocks have the option to take the following Psychic powers:

Warpfire: The Warplock channels his mental energies to engulf the enemy in a fire genreated from warp particles. It is worked out like a normal shooting attack with the following profile:

Range: 18" S6  AP2   Assault 3 (these shots may never be rerolled to hit, or to wound by anything)

Swordwind: The Warplock Channels all of his energy into a single, lightning fast fury of blows with his Warpblade, thus, automattically hitting in CC, but loses the extra attack from charging. (Can only be used if the unit charged this turn)

Psychic Powers: (Warpsight)

Warpsights may take any of the Farseer Psychic abilities as detailed in the Farseer Entry (Except Fortune) in the Eldar Codex.

Warplocks__________ ___________________ _75 points per model
              WS  BS  S   T    Wo  I   A   LD     Sv
Warplock - 4   5   5   4(6)   2   6   3   9     4+(i)
Warpsight- 4   5   4   4(5)   3   6   2   10    3+(i)

Unit Composition:                              Warpsights are 150 points each, who may             
3-5 Warplocks                                  take any of the following psychic powers:
0-2 Warpsights(1-2, if there are 5 Warplocks)                   -Doom-25 points
Wargear: WarpBlade, Warp-Tested Cloak.                         -Mind War-20 points
                                                                                 -Guide-20 points
Transport: May be mounted in a Wave Serpent                   -Eldritch Storm-20 points

Warplocks may each take                 Any of the Warpsights may take Runes of
one of the following Powers:              Witnessing, Runes of Warding, or Spirit       
-Conceal-15 points                           Stones for 20 points each.                           
-Destructor-10 points
-Embolden-5 points
-SwordWind-10 points
-Warpfire-20 points
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 07:06:06 PM by the_humble_terminator »
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Eldar unit-Warplocks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:41 AM »
I'd strongly suggest changing the name, as Warplock doesn't really make much sense. "Warlock" is based on Old English "wærloga" which initially meant "oathbreaker", but later has come to mean the male equivalent of a witch. "Warplock"... doesn't really make any sense, and sounds like a cheap pun.

Warpsight could just as well be called Warpseers though, as "warpsight" would be their visions they are having, not the person having them.

There are some other things I feel if off with the background, but I'll give the rules-guys a chance to crack at this first.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
Ok...

Well I'm not going to comment on the balance of the unit because tbh I can't understand the rules after 3 times of reading them and my brain is starting to hurt.

The background is intresting, but any time you need more than a couple of lines to explain a special rule you are probably developing a rule that is vastly over complicated...

"Once per game a cloak equiped model can attempt to nullify a psychic power. Roll 1D6, on 4-5 the power is cancelled and on a 6 the power is stopped and the caster suffers a perils attack."

It's short, to the point. Has the same basic effect and does not require the other player to roll another dice to see what happens so they can then roll a save to see what happens and then roll another save to see what happens. It also sticks with predefined rules (Perils of the warp)

Swordwind is another area where you could use pre existing rules to get a very close effect. "Swordwind gives the model preferred enemy on any turn the model assaults."

So an intresting concept.  :)

But you need to go back and reduce the number of exceptions/addions/extra dice rolls from the Cloaks.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
Swordwind is another area where you could use pre existing rules to get a very close effect. "Swordwind gives the model preferred enemy on any turn the model assaults."

I do see the reasons for you saying this, but please allow me to show the reasons why this doesn't work out the same way.

Wraithswords reroll to-hit rolls....Preferred enemy does also....no point.
I wanted there to be a choice-
-Do I auto hit, with one less attack?
-Do I take my chances to hit, but possibly get more hits total?

"Once per game a cloak equiped model can attempt to nullify a psychic power. Roll 1D6, on 4-5 the power is cancelled and on a 6 the power is stopped and the caster suffers a perils attack."
I see that I should add a few comments on the 1-3 possibilities on a D6...but if you read my post as: on a 4 you cause an armor save to both you and an opposing psyker, on a 5, the psyker countas a failing his psychic test,(without Perils) on a 6, I should make the Eldar player roll an additional D6, which a 4+ makes the opponent take two wounds, no saves allowed, and on a 1-3, the psyker has a chance to not take any...taking an Invulnerable save, (assuming he has one) which, if failed, forces an addtional save, allowing armor saves to be taken.

I actually could make this an entirely different ability.....I have updated the OP.

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
I do see the reasons for you saying this, but please allow me to show the reasons why this doesn't work out the same way.

Except you have included the Wraithsword referance as part of the fluff and not part of the rules... The rules part of the entry reads as a simple "The Warpblade is a 2 handed Power weapon, that encorporates +2 strength to the bearer." As the part that mentions the blade is like a Wraithsword should I also take it the "and twice as fast as a Witchblade" means that it doubles the models attacks?

Again it comes back to you need to make the rules clear, why even referance the Wraithsword which requires a person to then lock up another set of rules when you could just say: "The Warpblade is a 2 handed Power weapon, that encorporates +2 strength to the bearer and rerolls to hit"

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »

Except you have included the Wraithsword referance as part of the fluff and not part of the rules... The rules part of the entry reads as a simple "The Warpblade is a 2 handed Power weapon, that encorporates +2 strength to the bearer." As the part that mentions the blade is like a Wraithsword should I also take it the "and twice as fast as a Witchblade" means that it doubles the models attacks?

Again it comes back to you need to make the rules clear, why even referance the Wraithsword which requires a person to then lock up another set of rules when you could just say: "The Warpblade is a 2 handed Power weapon, that encorporates +2 strength to the bearer and rerolls to hit"

Honestly, you people are so narrow minded, you aren't able to hear the person who made the rule say what happens, then say, "oh, ok."

You feel some sort of need to correct every differences between YOUR opinion as to what you think it should say, and what it actually says.

In the Ork Codex, the Power klaw says it is a power fist in all respects....well, the warpblade is a wraithsword in all respects....does that mean neither get anything?? >:(

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »
Well, that was a touch hostile.

I would adivse dividing up the wargear entries into 2 paragraphs. The first, most appropriately in italics, describes the fluff of the item. The second, normal paragraph describes what it does.

Down to business then. First off, T4? I'm going to say no. The only things Eldar with T4 are a few select special characters, and someone on a jetbike. Even before the special rule against flamers and some such, its unnessary.

Second, is the S5 from the Warp-Blade, or is the Warp Blades +2S on top of the base S5? If the former, take a page from Relic Blades and just leave the base stat at 3, and have the sword modify at +2S.

Which brings me to the Warp-Sword. Are we to assume that the entire ruleset for it is Reroll to-hit (Wraithsword) and confers +2S?

And the Warp Cloak... In effect, its a 2+ invulnerable against everything Chaos and psychic powers, and also functions as a Psychic Hood, correct?

The paragraphing isn't the most well defined, which i think is causing alot of the confusion. Try to divide things up a little more concisely and it'll go a long way.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
I've given you feed back: You need to clean up the way the thing is written and make it clear. I'm not correcting things to my opinion I'm trying to help you put the rules across, you want the rerolls I've have made a suggestion as to how best to write the rule so it is clear and not some muddled mix of fluff and rules which is what it is currently.

You feel some sort of need to correct every differences between YOUR opinion as to what you think it should say, and what it actually says.

At no point have I said that you should change your rules to fit my opinion, just make it so people can understand the rules you are trying to put across. If anything you need to go back and look at what you have put down word for word, what you think you have and what you actualy have are probably 2 very different things.

I would adivse dividing up the wargear entries into 2 paragraphs. The first, most appropriately in italics, describes the fluff of the item. The second, normal paragraph describes what it does.

QFE.

Anyway as you don't appear to want any kind of feed back I'll just leave you to it, shame because as I said it's an intresting concept.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 07:38:46 PM by khaine »

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »
"If anything you need to go back and look at what you have put down word for word, what you think you have and what you actualy have are probably 2 very different things."

Same to you, good sir.

I was looking for advice...but as it isn't for some form of competition, nor is it actually going to become a unit. I felt it would be fun to do what I did. The commentary from you guys in the way I understand it is, from the first post stating I should change the name since it "does not make sense" Latin? Really? English is the language I speak.

Honestly, I hope this thread gets locked. I am tired of the negativity from many of the boards. I may stop using this site altogether.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
Ok, well, admitedly the name thing was not really important. Word-Crafting doesn't have to be based on another language or some non-english root.

That said, from what i've seen lately, you don't know how to take criticism of any sort, constructive or otherwise. If your looking for a source of the negitivity you apparently feel is being thrown at you from every turn, i suggest you stat looking at yourself.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
I was looking for advice...but as it isn't for some form of competition, nor is it actually going to become a unit. I felt it would be fun to do what I did.

Ironically, much of the feedback was centred around how it was hard to see what exactly it did in the first place.

The commentary from you guys in the way I understand it is, from the first post stating I should change the name since it "does not make sense" Latin? Really? English is the language I speak.

Old English, in fact, the ancestor of the language you speak. ;) I was commenting on what I perceive as a common misunderstanding; Warlock is not a compound word of 'war' and 'lock'. And combining 'warp' and 'lock' does not mean what you think it does.