News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Iyanden  (Read 3120 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
My Iyanden
« on: July 6, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »
its upsetting to have worked hours on my iyanden force for so long yet having very little to show for it model wise, and more upsetting that until now the only people that commented on their painting were my parents well i want to change all that so i am showing you all what ive done. 

its a small force yeh but i only began collecting iyanden this time last year and have been debating whether to buy certain models or not, the ones i love i brought while the ones that im not so sure about will wait till the re release of the beloved eldar.

right heres everything ive got finished, and no its not a legal iyanden army, as much as i like the wraithguard models i want to wait to see for sure if theyre done or not before i splash out a load of cash for 2 squads.

Farseer Kaelem

my small squad of guardian defenders

my banshees and exarch

ive got more (2 wraith lords, and a falcon) finished but i wont stick them all in one post i will do it over a few posts so that i dont cram in too many pics, plus it gives me time to complete some more lol

C&C is appreciated im not gunn learn without it eh?

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
Re: My Iyanden
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
They have a gallery here on the boards that might be a better place to display your miniatures. There is also a forum on painting. (Which I'll move this too)

Lazarus.  :)

(nice work btw)
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2006, 03:19:53 AM »
cheers lazarus i wasnt sure as to where to put this thread whether in painting or in eldar as its both realy.  do people really check the galleries that often, besides theres a ridiculus amount of eldar in the galleries mine would possibly go un-noticed

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
Your army has a nice look to it, and the models are progressing well. Keep up the good work as it does inspire others to keep at it....

Cheers and happy gaming.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Myung

« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2006, 02:57:20 PM »
gj on the yellow. Yellow is a hard color to really give depth too and not mkae it look crappy at the sametime!

nice and bold kudos to you. i go nuts just doing Yellow on my Helms of my Alaitoc stuff. Cannot imagine doing the bodies!
9,000 pts Eldar - Alaitoc - 6,500 pts Blood Angels
8,000 pts Imperial Guard - 3,000 pts Tryanids
3,000 pts Sisters of Battle - 4,000 pts Orks
2,000 pts Chaos - 1 Massive Crack Addiction

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2006, 03:07:02 PM »
gj on the yellow. Yellow is a hard color to really give depth too and not mkae it look crappy at the sametime!

thanks, the only reason i can do it tho is that i found a great method by getting in contact with eavy metal and ive been doing it the same way ever since, and its a great way to paint it if a bit time consuming

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »
here is my falcon, its a model that im very proud of despite it being a basic model i am pleased with how it looks.  but id like to know what others make of it

Offline Big Boss

• Thou shalt not suffer the fool to live.
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »
It looks awesome, only thing I don't like about it would be the massive amount of yellow.  Personally, I'd do a few more areas in blue but that's just me.
Space Marines: 2000 pts.
Eldar: 1000 pts.

Wood Elves: 3000 pts.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »
yeh i know what you mean there is an over abundance of yellow but i thought if i put too much blue into it it would be too much like alaitoc... my next tank will have more blue areas though 

cheers

Offline Rookyboy

« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »
First off they look very good yellow is infact a hard colour to paint

Secondly i think the weopens would look better black to counter act the extreme amounts of bright colours

Rookyboy

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #10 on: July 8, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »
thanks, yeh certain models in my army have their weapons painted black I.e the few wraith guard i have and the underside of the falcon.  personally i prefer the weapons painted bone colour as the way i paint black made the weapons look unpainted or unfinished.  when i have all my wraithguard painted i will have a fair amount of black weapons which will contrast against the overall look of the army with their lighter weapons and the underside of all my tanks and vehicles will be black and hold black weapons

Offline Cojaxiel

« Reply #11 on: July 8, 2006, 05:27:28 PM »
Yes very nice job so far. Very clean. Like the others were saying I would maybe add more blue to counter the yellow. Also on the grav tank, watch out for those white barbwire designs, they tend to hide the models detial, much like overdone camo can do.  Overall very nice, i like it  :D

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 05:48:52 AM »
right here is my converted Wraithlord, i figured that who better to stick on a base than an imperial guard considering that is who my army is geared to tear through remorselessly lol....

the torso was cut at the hip and rotated 50 degrees so that the legs could face one way and i could have the upper body look like it was turning independantly.  the bent leg was altered by cutting away the underneath of the knee joint and then bent and resculpted with greenstuff his left arm was also straightened to look like he was shooting just the ojne gun

and a close up of the guard.... Ewwwww i trod in something

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 08:05:21 AM »
The models all look good; but could do with a few add ons to take them to the next level.

The Bone needs highlihgts,
The Gems need to be done,
The Vines require some shading to show depth,
The Yellow could do with more shade lining and highlights,
Oh, and there are still some very visable mold lines.

Like I said though, they do look good and are deffinatly table top ready, I'm just being extra critical as I think it would be nice to see a 'eavy Metal level Iyanden army.

Cheers and Happy gaming.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 08:29:04 AM »
ok i will go back and do some more highlighting on the vines and the bone.  the gems will also be painted up to, i previously couldnt be bothered but will do now.  the yellow doesnt need highlighting or shading any more, in person it looks fine but the photo doesnt show the level of highlighting and shade that there is in the model

the only i cant go back and redo are the mould lines as it will take off all the paint in that area, but i will remember to sort them out on future models like when the new wrait lords come out.  i hope to that i can achieve an Eavy metal Iyanden it would be great and of course im always improving and critisicm helps so thanks

Offline Grimnar

• For the Wolves
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 09:05:01 AM »
they look very nice. the yellow looks pretty good, but it needs some highligting. it seems as though you only darkline things, you should also highlight your colors

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
right following suggestions i will go back on my vehicles and add an extreme highlight on the edge, i have however never tried extreme highlighting so am unsure whether to blend the colours in or make them realy stand out.  the bone will be highlighted further and correct the bone is only darklined, the yellow is painted by layering so that only the darkest colours in the recesses show and has a gradual highlight so whether its visible or not is debatable, like i said i will add more highlights but am hoping it will not end up too pale a yellow as it needs to be strong to contrast the blue.  a question on shading the vines, moc065 do you think they should be shaded down with grey or a different colour.

well in this post i might aswell show you the last thing that i have finished which is my first wraithlord, although it is a stock model with nothing done to it except the basing

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 11:50:37 AM »
Highlighting extreme edges is a fine art, to pull it off well you need to ado at least two passes on the model. Always use the base colour and blend with a lighter colour for the first pass (50/50 Yellow/White, or Bone/White, etc) for the first pass; go over all of the model, each panel/section/etc.... making sure to keep the highlighting to the outer most edges only (about 10% of the panels surface area) and on an engel that would naturally be hit by light. For the second pass, add more of the lighter colour (about 3:1 ratio or more) and only highlight the very edges of the first highlight (about 1% or less of the total panels surface area), often White can be used on its own if your going to do any sparkling effects on very predominate or rasied corner edges. Things to remeber are that the paint should be very thin, so that you get a good blend, and that this technique can be used with any colour, as lonag as you are carefull to not change the tone of the original colour with your lighter blends (Example,,, don't use yellow to lightenn Blue, as it will end up Green,,, white is better. And don't use white to lighten Red as it will end up Pink,,, yellow works better.)

For your gems or jewels I would suggest using Reds,,,, not because I'm a Saim-Hann freek (although I am) or because red makes anything go faster (as we all know it does); but because red is actually a good offset colour for Blue, Yellow, and Bone, and I thought I saw some Gold on one of your models and Reds go well with gold as well.

Hope that helps, Cheers and Happy gaming.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
i will work on some of the extreme highlighting on my wraithlords tonight and take more pics of them updated tomorrow  so i get feedback on them soon, before i try it on something bigger like my falcon

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »
right ive finished my first attempts at extreme highlighting and ive done all the gems on the wraithlord aswell... and let me tell you guys it looks soo much bette rnow than it did im more proud of it than i was before thats for sure... thanks for the walkthrough moc065 it was very helpful i dont know if these photos show the highlighting well i hope so