News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Extra Armour for Rhino  (Read 5852 times)

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
Re: Extra Armour for Rhino
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
Another reason this armour is used is that it is much lighter than tranditional spaced armour, so you can use it on fast reconnaissance vehicles and vehicles which are to be airdropped. Back on topic...

As for how to replicate it, can I suggest taking a paperclip and doing the following:
-The paperclip consists of 3 "U" shaped bends of wire. Cut it up so that you get 2 "U"s with even length ends- one larger than the other.
-Collect a number of the large ones and interleave them with the curved part facing opposite direction. This will give you a range of parallel metal bars with curved edges at the edge of the armour.
-Make verticals with thin strips of plasticard at either end of the plate.
-Use the smaller "U"s for smaller plates.

The nice thing about this is that it does not involve bending the wire.  I will try and do a sketch to show you what I mean.

EDIT: grrr this does not work due to the black background, but if you click on this it will take you to the picture that does work. Can a mod fix this?
EDIT2: saving to BMP then resaving to JPEG fixed it, although I am not sure that that should be needed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:23:43 AM by small_furry_spider »

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »
That's really clever, Spider.

May not work due to scale issues (the clip may not be long enough to do the space he wants covered), but still very clever.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline ravenklath

• Wych
  • For The Life Of Me I Cannot Forgive Thee
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »
Actually DR. It would work really well you just have to use more paper clips for the particular area. Also depends on what version of Rhino he uses. I personally only use MK I Rhinos so it would work perfect for me . I plan on trying this when i get back home to give my Rhinos a fresh look. Perhaps even rig it to where it is removable

Quote from: RabidNurgling
  Besides, every time they come out with a new metal model, I punch a kitten.
quote author=Eidolon  Your music sucks, youre obnoxious, this coming from a guy with gaga as his avatar.

Dark Eldar 5th ED Record 4-1-1

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »
That's really clever, Spider.

May not work due to scale issues (the clip may not be long enough to do the space he wants covered), but still very clever.

Thanks for the ego massage  :D

I have not tried it myself, so if anyone does give it a go, please post a picture so I can see how well it works.