News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: RTT decisions  (Read 656 times)

Offline Durareh DarkBlade

RTT decisions
« on: March 26, 2003, 06:37:58 PM »
Below I have a list of what i am thinking of fielding. I am not sure of what to bring. I was also thinking of a Wych cult as well. I have three 10 wych squads all made up. Ok here is the Kabal list let me know what you think. i will be facing 2 eldar players,iron warriors, iron hands, a necron player with 3 monoliths and a tau player.. This is what I know of the opposition so far. Thanks for any help. Marc

Kabal of the Dark Blade  RTT 1850 Pts  -   Dark Eldar Army

1 Lirulah, Mistress of Pain  (Archon) @ 407 Pts
     Agoniser (x1)
     Splinter Pistol (x1)
     Combat Drugs [25]
     Shadow Field [25]
     Hell Mask [5]

8 Deathghost (Incubi Retinue) @ [271] Pts
          Torm. Hl. & Punisher (x8)
          Plasma Grenades

1 Warhawk (Raider) @ [55] Pts
               Dark Lance

9 Nighthorn, Wych Squad 1 (Wyches) @ 265 Pts
     Haywire Grenades
     Splinter P. & CCW (x9)
     Plasma Grenades
     Wych Weapons

1 Onaxera Warwind (Succubus) @ [48] Pts
          Agoniser (x1)
          Splinter Pistol (x1)
          Haywire Grenades
          Plasma Grenades
          Wych Weapons
          Gruesome Talisman [2]

1 Battlemark (Raider) @ [55] Pts
          Dark Lance

9 Deathshot, CS (Raider Squad) @ 181 Pts
     Splinter Rifle (x7)
     Splinter Cannon (x1)
     Blaster (x1)

1 Lara Shadewarrior (Sybarite) @ [34] Pts
          Agoniser (x1)
          Splinter Pistol (x1)

1 Startouch (Raider) @ [60] Pts
          Disintegrator

9 Doomseeker, CS (Raider Squad) @ 181 Pts
     Splinter Rifle (x7)
     Splinter Cannon (x1)
     Blaster (x1)

1 Tinna Cindertaker (Sybarite) @ [34] Pts
          Agoniser (x1)
          Splinter Pistol (x1)

1 Farfalcon (Raider) @ [60] Pts
          Disintegrator

10 Deathdrum, CS (Raider Squad) @ 155 Pts
     Splinter Rifle (x8)
     Splinter Cannon (x1)
     Blaster (x1)

1 Farfalcon (Raider) @ [60] Pts
          Disintegrator

10 Scarlance, FS (Raider Squad) @ 145 Pts
     Splinter Rifle (x9)
     Dark Lance (x1)

1 Battlesting (Raider) @ [55] Pts
          Dark Lance

10 Highraven, FS (Raider Squad) @ 145 Pts
     Splinter Rifle (x9)
     Dark Lance (x1)

1 Warfire (Raider) @ [55] Pts
          Dark Lance

10 Moonghost, FS (Raider Squad) @ 145 Pts
     Splinter Rifle (x9)
     Dark Lance (x1)

1 Bloodchant (Raider) @ [55] Pts
          Dark Lance

1 Nitorud, Ravager (Ravager) @ 105 Pts
     Dark Lance (x3)

1 Darkblade (Ravager) @ 120 Pts
     Disintegrator (x3)

Models in Army: 89

Total Army Cost: 1849

Offline Jos

Re: RTT decisions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 06:47:50 PM »
IMHO you have too many incubi... you could exchange some of these for nightshields for your ravagers, which sometimes means the difference between life and death to those. You mention 2 eldar players: If htey manage to connectbanshees with incubi, you will leterally see hundreds of points put in the transporting case, without ever getting a chance to earn themselves back in.
Even though it is a kabal-list, some more wyches would be nice...

Offline CrimsonShadow

• Cheerleader!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lord Captain Cheerleader of DOOM!!!
Re: RTT decisions
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 09:52:13 AM »
I completely agree with Jos.  Never take more than 6 Incubi.  Not only does it paint a big fat target on that squad for enemy fire, it also makes it overeffective.   A Lord and 8 Incubi will eat through most enemy squads on your turn, and while fun to watch, your expensive HQ unit then gets to stand there and get shot at on your opponent's turn.  Also, I think putting your lord with Shadowfield with Incubi is a mistake as well.  Put your Incubi with a Dracon with no nightshield , if you want to field them.  Run your Archon solo on a RJB or skyboard.  (Yes, I just said it again)  

Solo Lord's don't have to worry about taking a Ld test until their shadowfield fails.  Not the case with your Incubi Lord.  While Incubi make a nice meatshield, it is just too easy to end up failing a Ld test when your HQ unit is under 50% starting strength, and your fully healthy Lord and whatever is rest of his retinue, are now falling back off of your tableedge with no chance of regrouping.  It WILL happen to you eventually, and trust me, it isn't pretty.   ;)  Put 5 Incubi with a Dracon, and they make a nice substitute for the Shadowfield.  The other thing this does, is make it impossible for your Archon to be shot at, as long as you keep him within 6 inches of a friendly unit, and make sure he isn't the closest enemy model within 12 inches.  If you play it right, you are almost GUARANTEED of getting a very mobile Lord into hth exactly where he/she is needed most.

That enough for my mobile Lord rant.  Everyone else has heard it more than enough already, I'm sure.  The only other glaring problem that I see with your list, is that you've put darklances in your Raider squads.  BAAAAAD idea.  While the darklance is, at first glance, by far our most superior weapon, it is a Heavy 1 weapon.  That means that if your Raider squads move, the squad counts as having moved, and you cannot fire the darklance in the squad.  Switch those lances out with Blasters.  Same ST and AP as the darklance, and granted, it's range is less, but it's an Assault 1 weapon, and you can move and shoot it.  Your Raider squads should be getting up close and personal anyway, and it isn't that difficult to get your Raiders that can move 36 inches in two turns and still be able to shoot in turn two, within 12 inches of whatever enemy unit you wish to target.  Here's one noone on these boards has heard...speed is your armor.  Use it.  Okay, so that one may have circulated once or twice...   ;D  

Now if you were going to field those units OUT of the Raider, I suppose that's okay, but at 145 points, I think you're better off with 2 sniper squads instead, and spend that 90 points elsewhere in your army.  Heck, add 10 more points and get a 3rd sniper unit, and now you have 6 darklances for the price that you are currently paying for 4.  Yes, the empty Raiders are nice to block Los, and to be used for mobile terrain, but if you ask me, with the number of Raiders you are fielding, you don't really need it.  Use your cheaper Raider squad raiders for this.  Your wyches and your HQ are the ones you need to worry about getting into hth.  Your Raider squads should be support units, not primary attack units.  

I'd drop the disintegrator upgrades on your Raiders, and put them on you 3 lance Ravager.  While not a bad idea in a darklance starved wych cult, I really don't like the 3 DL ravager.  If you take out that enemy armor that you are shooting at with your first DL shot, you've just wasted two darklance shots, as you can't target a separate unit with them.  I ALWAYS add the 3 dissie upgrade to my ravagers.  Field two of them and watch your enemy's units melt away.  After fielding two 3 dissie ravagers in several games, my opponents fear them SO much, they will target them BEFORE my HQ or wyches!  (and with good reason)  A combined volley from two 3 dissie ravagers will devastate just about ANY unit.  

Oh, consider adding horrorfexes to your Raiders.  Not only will they give you a second weapon to shoot if you end up getting a weapon destroyed result on the glancing hits table (who am I kidding, ANY hit is almost invariably a destroyed Raider, I know)   ;D  you will be surprised how nice it is to have an enemy unit pinned and unable to do anything for a turn, while you  are using multiple units to assault the remaining units still able to move.    

I think, while you are on the right track with this list, it need some tweaking.  Instead of so many Raider squads, you might consider a squad or two of jetbikes.  If you field them, do so in squads of at least 5, and add 2 Blasters and a Succubus to each.  While the +1ST is nice, I like to give my Reaver succubus an Agoniser.  With her full attacks and always glancing on a 6, if I take out one enemy vehicle with the 2 Blaster shots, it allows me a pretty decent chance to assault either an enemy unit, or another vehicle with a decent chance of hurting it.  Shoot two of these squads, (one down each flank) straight at your enemy 24 inches in turn one, and watch the results.  If your opponent shoots at them, the 4+ Inv save usually guarantees that a good portion of the unit will survive, and whatever is shooting at your bikes is, of course, not shooting at the rest of your army.  It is also a unit that cannot be ignored, like the slower Talos.  

That should give you enough to mull over for now.  Hope that helps.  

That is all.

CrimsonShadow    

"Some people will tell you that slow is good...and it may be, on some days...but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."
~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

We are not human beings.  We are human doings.