News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Storm Raven kit  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Storm Raven kit
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:32:51 AM »
I'm not sure if others have seen this yet... but if not then you will likely be very interested.

Follow >>this link<<, and then scroll down part way until you see the picture of the vastly improved Storm Raven. Then count the days until the kit goes on sale!

I'll happily say that I'm a huge hater of the current storm raven kit, and it has been the only thing stopping me from starting a lamenters army. (lamenters being known for their storm raven assaults according to the badab war books!) So, the good news is that this conversion kit looks like it will make the raven look much better (though we will of course want to see more pics). The bad news is it looks like I'm going to be starting yet another army...

Edit:

Just got a reply back from them, it is currently in production and should be ready for sale in a weeks time!!!

My hands are a-rubbing, and my wallet is a-screaming!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:57:11 AM by O:nk »

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: Storm Raven kit
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
Looks great! Go for it!

Offline adz594

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:51:34 PM »
i've got to say, and i may be the only one on here to think it but i like the stromraven as it is, and the kit to build is very easy (just lots of), the only thing is that you must pay attention to the instructions because just going at it would be a nightmare.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
i've got to say, and i may be the only one on here to think it but i like the stromraven as it is,

I agree- really like the kit. Love how robust it looks. Don't think much of the extension- very large and bulky.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »
This is one of the reasons I love what we do... because everyone will have their own ideas and opinions on the model. My main issue with the kit is that it just looks too stubby... and not at all like the laws of physics apply in any way shape or form in the 41st millenium!

The large bulky nature of the extension is exactly the reason why I DO like it! Because of this conversion kit, I am more than likely to buy myself a few storm ravens where previously I was steering clear.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
Although there they've blanked off the top turret, I'm not convinced it will look as good with the turret in place.

With my stormraven I constructed it without the tall cowling/air intake which was covered with a blanking plate and converted the turret to be a much lower remote turret style similar in profile to the razorback. Thats helped to make it look a lot sleekier in my book. Plus you can build it with undercarriage raised (again as they've done in the picture) which help as well.

Basically triming top and bottom to emphasis the length as opposed to height.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »
Yea, though with the above kit I would make an underslung turret to form a sort of belly gun (B17 style). For me that has the image of being able to clear a drop zone as the Raven comes in. The current kit doesn't have scope because its so stubby there is no space thanks to the flying stand... the conversion set should allow this (though I await further images of more angles)

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
Yea, though with the above kit I would make an underslung turret to form a sort of belly gun (B17 style). For me that has the image of being able to clear a drop zone as the Raven comes in. The current kit doesn't have scope because its so stubby there is no space thanks to the flying stand... the conversion set should allow this (though I await further images of more angles)

I've not studied planes from the past but would it still be feasible to have a gun on the underside like that and a front and side door for disembarking?
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
I'm not exactly certain of what you are trying to say, but if I have understood right, yea, I don't see any issue with a belly turret interfering with front or side doors... particularly becaue the conversion kit should allow the turret to be positioned further back as may be necessary to avoid any conflict.

Like I said though, this would be subject to seeing more pictures of the conversion kit. It is odd that the turret isn't shown at all - perhaps the conversion kit addresses this in a way that hadn't been shown in those images (which look to be of a pre-production set).

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 09:49:49 AM »
I was just thinking for some sense of realism which I am assuming you want the conversion kit for. I know that it's the 41st Millennium and we are talking about space marines so it doesn't have to make sense. But I was thinking with the conversion kit giving it a +1 to realism, would the belly gun also be realistic based on design plans of an actual flying troops transport. 

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
Depends a lot on how you look at the role of the Storm Raven, transport with guns or gunship with transport?

No reason why a flying troop transport can't have a belly/chin turret as the Hind-E proves, a lower mounting would put the weapons to ground attack role while the current dorsal mount suggests they are intended for defence against other aircraft.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
Oh, I see what you mean... well, my thinking would be that the raven itself would appear more like a bomber... But I've often wondered how the devil they get that assault cannon to actually clear landing zones when it is sitting so high up...

Weapons would be mounted on top of stuff to help counter enemy air threats... though with the way the space marines are "supposed" to work (from orbit down) I would have thought that they would be better served covering their descent!

As mentioned, I imagine a belly gun would clear a landing zone before the troops transported within would get out.

i dunno, just some ideas that I'm spouting out...

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »
Oh, I see what you mean... well, my thinking would be that the raven itself would appear more like a bomber... But I've often wondered how the devil they get that assault cannon to actually clear landing zones when it is sitting so high up...

Good point, I am interested in seeing your design now. But now it makes me wonder if GW think of these kinds of things when designing  their models. Do they think of functionality? My guess is not really as long as things don't end up in odd places and they are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »

Good point, I am interested in seeing your design now. But now it makes me wonder if GW think of these kinds of things when designing  their models. Do they think of functionality? My guess is not really as long as things don't end up in odd places and they are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Rule of cool, rule of cool...