News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Raptors List, having difficulty.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Malfush

• FLAMER: Forum Instigator, Banned
Raptors List, having difficulty.
« on: August 3, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
Lately, I've been having difficulty writing Vanilla Marine lists, mostly because of my personal belief that the Space Wolf codex is the best Power Armored codex (my personal opinion has Grey Hunters being the best Troops choice in the game).

I'm starting up a new Marine force for a Badab War campaign going on soon at my LGS. I've decided to go Raptors, as I like their fluff a lot.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raptors_(Chapter)

Anyway, I'm trying to write a 2,000 point list, and this is what I have right now.

Lias Issodon: 140

Honour Guard: 360
   -5x, champion thunder hammer, chapter banner, 4 relic blades
   -Razorback: twin-linked assault cannon

Tactical Squad: 245
   -10x, plasma gun, heavy bolter, sarge power fist
   -Razorback: twin-linked heavy bolter

Tactical Squad: 240
   -10x, meltagun, missile launcher, sarge power fist

Scout Squad: 110
   -5x, bolters, heavy bolter, sarge power fist

Scout Squad: 90
   -5x, sniper rifles, camo-cloaks

Assault Squad: 235
   -10x, 2 flamers, sarge power fist

Devastator Squad: 230
   -5x, 2 lascannons, 2 missile launchers

Whirlwind: 85

Some people will not like my Devastator squad, because it's too expensive for what it does. Like I mentioned in another post in another thread, I sometimes have good luck with lascannons, so they're staying.
Aside from Scouts and a LSS, I'm not really sure what else to add. I'd like to avoid drop pods, as I HATE assembling them. I was thinking of a MotF, to combine with Issodon's Chapter Tactics. Gotta love boosted cover.

EDIT: Updated list
EDIT2: Oops, realized that Issodon is cheaper than I thought. Total points updated.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 02:00:19 PM by Malfush »

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Raptors List, having difficulty.
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
I would keep your lascannons infantry mounted lascannons are effective no argument here.

However first thing I would lose is the Heavy Bolter in the Tac squad. Not really effective. Spent my last game with and immobilized land raider shooting a TL heavy bolter at a squad of CSM and managed to kill 2. Especially in a Badab campaign your talking marines so with the armor saves it just isn't going to be that effective.

I would throw the Lascannons in your tac squads cause they are cheaper there only costing you 10pts each. I would then throw the Missile launchers in your devastator squad. All in all you get the same firepower keep your lascannons and you have saved yourself some points.

I would also lose one of the razorbacks in the tac squads for a Rhino especially the one with the Melta gun. It will give you the option of projecting some power in some games if you need to by moving a full Tac squad forward. Also it gives you a good bunker busting mobile bunker with the Rhino's fire points and the Melta guns designation as assault weapon also your effectively adding 6" to your melta gun's range.

If you can scratch up a few more points I would see about swapping the Heavy bolter on the Devastators Razor for a TW Lascannon. Assuming you are holding your Devastators back for covering fire doing this will give them a little extra punch from the back line of your army.

The only other thing is I am not sold on scouts in shooty lists. I have tried and tried and first off less than 10 and your odds of really doing damage sucks. With the points you saved from above you could field a scout biker squad which would be slightly more effective against marines or you could go with a few Attack bikes with MM (50pts each) for some fast moving anti-tank.

I like your Assault squad straight forward simple and effective. The HQ with the Honor guard is an interesting choice. Allowing them to effectively double as sternguard but with allot more cc punch.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2011, 10:51:27 AM by Azash76 »

Offline Malfush

« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
Well, I'm keeping the razorbacks as razorbacks for 3 main reasons:
1. I glued in the razorback hatch, as I'd always planned on using them as razorbacks which leads into part 2.
2. Fire support. I LOVE razorbacks, even the basic twin heavy bolter I find to be awesome. Only downside is crappy armor.
3. With Issodon's Chapter Tactics (grants Stealth), I'm hoping to be able to set up the heavy weapon combat squads into some halfway decent cover, and if I decide to include a MotF, Ruins will become the ultimate cover.

If I give my Tac squads the lascannons, yes, I'll save some points. 20 to be exact. Since you have to figure that missiles are free for tac squads but cost a fair amount for Devies. I probably will anyway, just so I can saturate more of the board with lasfire.

The Scouts will get a LSS, I completely forgot about it in this list. That should be able to get them where they need to go, and might just work out as a mobile objective grabber if I need it to be.

I'd like to avoid scout bikes, and bikes in general, as I already have a Khan biker list, and they get old pretty quickly. Granted, that army is nearly ENTIRELY bikes, but meh.

The Honour Guard is in there for the hell of it. Besides, 4 relic blades and a thunder hammer makes it a powerful "vanguard" squad.

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
If your adding a Land Speeder storm you may thinking of changing the scouts from snipers to assault scouts.

Assault scouts against marines? Statistically I think its a little better if you give them shotguns and then have them assault giving you 10 shots before you rush in. You can also hook the sergeant up with nifty things like comb-melta's, melta bombs, powerfsts and then throw a MM on the storm and it becomes  great armor or HQ killer.  Take advantage of that -1 to leadership that the LSS provides when you win an assault.

It's a great unit to go after lone HQ's, Devastator squads, high value armor, and if none of that presents itself it can hang back and be used as an objective grabber.

Also with your remaining points and some of the point savings you could use one of your existing razorbacks and add in a squad of sternguard. Great for marine killing throw a couple of combi melta's on them and they can keep armor off of them and there razorback. Then add in that rhino I mentioned for your your tactical squad.

That would get you to 2k and give you a good unit for killing marines also by adding combi-plasma's in rapid fire range they are a great unit for eliminating terminators or popping light armor.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2011, 06:43:27 PM by Azash76 »

Offline ak-73

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
2. Fire support. I LOVE razorbacks, even the basic twin heavy bolter I find to be awesome. Only downside is crappy armor.

And its lack of firepoints. You can't take a 5 man Sternguard/Dev Squad with 2 heavy weapons, stick it in there and fire out.

3. With Issodon's Chapter Tactics (grants Stealth), I'm hoping to be able to set up the heavy weapon combat squads into some halfway decent cover, and if I decide to include a MotF, Ruins will become the ultimate cover.

Or a Thunderfire Cannon if you end up short on HQ, as its Techmarine does not lose Bolstered Defences rule. Is there actually a rule preventing a TFC to set-up shop on the second floor of a building (yeah cheesy - I agree)?

If you use the scout squad, try to give it a ML.

Alex

Offline Malfush

« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »

And its lack of firepoints. You can't take a 5 man Sternguard/Dev Squad with 2 heavy weapons, stick it in there and fire out.

Read plz. Thx.

But yeah, no firepoints IS a downside, but I've played Razorback-spam before, and I'd much rather trade firepoints for the weapon mounts of the tank.

I'm on the fence about the Thunderfire cannon. I've personally never seen one do much damage, but I suppose I can try one out to bolster yet another ruin, in addition to my Master.

I'm thinking of running my Master of the Forge with a conversion beamer on a bike, and using the attack bike side-car to mount the conversion beamer. Now, all I have to do is decide how to model the beamer...