News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Accent colour for harlequins?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Der-Al

• Armies: Dark Eldar & Craftworld Eldar
Accent colour for harlequins?
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:10:27 AM »
I'm just about to start painting up some harlequin troupes which I got cheap from eBay. The colour scheme I'm thinking of is sort of a 70s disco theme and is based around cream, orange and dark brown.

I'm really struggling to think of a suitable accent colour for gems and streamers to go with this earthy colour scheme any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Accent colour for harlequins?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:53:30 AM »
Hey Der-Al... yeah that paint scheme is actually pretty close to a number of other Harlie schemes in the book. I'd recommend turquoise as an accent color. Its nice and vivid and contrasts nicely with the orange.

Just beware... going beyond Jokero Orange is a royal pain for layering paints. Jokero orange is brilliant... one of the best base paints in the range. But beyond that it takes a lot of work.

But yeah turquoise would look great IMO
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:58:10 AM »
Hey Der-Al... yeah that paint scheme is actually pretty close to a number of other Harlie schemes in the book. I'd recommend turquoise as an accent color. Its nice and vivid and contrasts nicely with the orange.

But yeah turquoise would look great IMO

I'd echo this. All of the colours that you have mentioned are warm, earth tones. As such, you need something cool to act as a contrast. Hence Turquoise being a great choice.

As an aside, as a Miami Dolphins fan, I can heartily recommend Orange and Aqua being an excellent combination!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Der-Al

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll give turquoise a try. It's one of the few colours I've never painted so is probably why I didn't think of it. So what paints do I need? I.e what's a good base, layer and wash?

Offline Der-Al

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
Just finished up the squad, I think they look quite good, even if i do say so myself.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:03:32 PM by Der-Al »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »
Just finished up the squad, I think they look quite good, even if i do say so myself.

You absolutely may say so yourself. The colours and the finish are fantastic, I'm so glad that it worked out for you whilst also being so jealous of the cracking diamond work you've done.

Also, the colour breakdown is ideal for me. The browns and orange are so warm that they risk overpowering the model, but your clever use of turquoise and white cools it down wonderfully.

Excellent work!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »
wow great job on the diamonds and masks.

Offline Der-Al

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 02:59:14 AM »
Thanks every one, but most importantly thanks for the turquoise suggestion.

The white was purely organic, I liked the idea of porcelain face masks and once i'd painted them they really worked, but the model became unbalanced. Therefore, I ended up balancing the model by painting white shoulder and knee pads with white casing for the weapons.

Diamonds are actually easier to paint than they look, especially after watching Duncan on warhammer TV do them. Although if you've never done any free hand I really wouldn't suggest trying to paint diamonds. My advise would be to get some free hand practice with vehicle squad markings before trying to do diamonds.               

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
Absolutely nailed it. They look phenomenal... so freaking smooth. The colors and paint job are excellent. Look at the black outlines on the checkers... dear lord does that look nice. Killed it buddy. Make sure to keep us posted as you paint more.... I want moar!!!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/