News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Made to Order  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Made to Order
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:32:22 AM »
It seems as though GW is going to bring back some of its old models through its online store.  While this rekindles memories of the old mail order system from some years ago, I doubt that it's going to go as far as that.  Indeed, so far, it's just a small range of Imperial Guard models which have been made available.  Hopefully, the idea will take off and be expanded, but I imagine it will be highly dependent on the performance of initial sales.

I'm somewhat surprised that GW is able to do this, as I was under the impression that all the old moulds had been destroyed a number of years back.  This is clearly not the case though, so I'm very curious to see what any future releases may be.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Made to Order
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:41:01 AM »
Hopefully, the idea will take off and be expanded, but I imagine it will be highly dependent on the performance of initial sales.

According to the Blog the made to order is wholly dependent on sales. The models will be made available for a mininum of forty eight hours but this will be extended if the models are ordered in sufficient quantity.

When you look at the webstore now only five of the twenty two models made available for made to order are still available the rest being sold out. I am guessing that this means the sold out items weren't popular and have now been removed from sale.

Giving people a forty eight hour deadline to buy something is just another way of saying that the models are limited. Not sure if this will be popular with the general public.

I'm somewhat surprised that GW is able to do this, as I was under the impression that all the old moulds had been destroyed a number of years back.  This is clearly not the case though, so I'm very curious to see what any future releases may be.

I always thought that it was lack of sales that caused certain models to be removed from sale. So it would be interesting to know what the break point figure for a model is before it becomes economically unviable.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »
I'll only be impressed if they bring back the 2nd ed. Eldar Close-Combat sprue... give me back my power fists! lol

Actually I find this a cool turn of events. Hopefully they bring back some models a little more exotic than 3rd ed. Storm Troopers.

Particularly the 2nd ed. models... there are some killer character models, particularly some of the Inquisitors in various suits of armor. GW has been doing a lot of cool stuff lately. I hope they continue this trend
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
I expect that (depending how popular this turns out to be), that each release of these 'made to order' models, will be themed around a different faction. Astra Millitariam to start with, maybe Chaos or Eldar next. There are a lot of great old Chaos models, it'd be cool to see some of those come back. I wish I was building an older style Gard army, as those heavy weapon teams are hard to find!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
If the ones that are listed as being sold out are marked that way simply because they are not selling, I have a feeling it is because people can not do an army of that type.  For instance, I have always thought that the Mordian Iron Guard were, by far, the coolest Imperial Guard regiment in that they marched to war in their dress uniforms.  But if I wanted to do a Mordian army, I can't because the only Mordian models they are providing are special and heavy weapons.  Where are the basic guardsmen with lasguns?!?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
If the ones that are listed as being sold out are marked that way simply because they are not selling, I have a feeling it is because people can not do an army of that type.  For instance, I have always thought that the Mordian Iron Guard were, by far, the coolest Imperial Guard regiment in that they marched to war in their dress uniforms.  But if I wanted to do a Mordian army, I can't because the only Mordian models they are providing are special and heavy weapons.  Where are the basic guardsmen with lasguns?!?

They've had the basic 10 man squads for all the guard types on their website forever, alongside the vostroyans. They are expensive though, as they are all pewter kits.

They only stopped selling the character's, special weapons and heavy weapons for the most part.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
48 hours riight, so they think we are just sitting on their website every hour in the off chance they might re-release some old models we were after...

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »

They've had the basic 10 man squads for all the guard types on their website forever, alongside the vostroyans. They are expensive though, as they are all pewter kits.

They only stopped selling the character's, special weapons and heavy weapons for the most part.
That's what I get for never going to the Guard section of the GW site...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
48 hours riight, so they think we are just sitting on their website every hour in the off chance they might re-release some old models we were after...

Well, no.

They only put up new releases and pre-orders on Saturdays, so just Saturdays you need to look out for it. It's also at the same time each Saturday (gmt-5). They also email you too that there is new stuff, if you sign up for their newsletter. So, it's easy to stay on top of it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:29:48 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 03:28:45 PM »
Moulds are very rarely (if ever) destroyed- they wear out themselves eventually, but there is little point in destroying a paid for mould.
Things go off of sale because the money coming in from them isn't worth having them constantly produced. "Made to Order" makes things far more cost effective, and if this first time has been successful, we'll see more of it in the future.

To add to Killersquids spot-on comments; store managers will also get the info on what's coming a few days in advance. GW store FB pages were posting lists of what was coming in the week leading up to the order.