News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 750 pt list Hybrid Mech  (Read 4251 times)

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
750 pt list Hybrid Mech
« on: September 1, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »
I might be trying to play a tournament this weekend at 750 points

Here is the list I am looking at playing

Cadre Fireblade (60)
XV8 Team (114)
  Shas'ui - Fusion x2, Flamer
Stealth Team (120)
  4x Shas'ui
Firewarrior Team 1 (177)
  8 Shas'la
  Devilfish - Gun drones, D Pod, Point Defense Targeting Relay
Firewarrior Team 2 (135)
  10 Shas'la
  Shas'ui - marker light and target lock
Kroot Squad (70)
  10 Kroot - sniper rounds
Pathfinder Team (74)
  4 Shas'la - 2x rail rifle

Total (750)

--------

The thoughts I'm having is the Kroot infiltrate into cover to provide sniper fire.  The firewarriors with Fish provide mobile base of fire.  Unmounted firewarriors are joined by the fireblade to establish main firebase as well as marker support from the fireblade and shas'ui.  The Crisis team deep strikes if needed for anti tank and anti MC.  The stealths provide a mobile harrasing unit.  The pathfinders provide some anti heavy infanry as well as some additional marker support.

My main concerns with this list is only having a single vehicle and the survivability of the pathfinders.  Looking for thoughts or advice on this list.  Thanks!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 750 pt list Hybrid Mech
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
Hello!

So, for a 750 point list you need to think in 750 point terms. The opponents you face will be limited by the 750 point level, too, which limits the kinds of things you'll have to deal with somewhat. Furthermore, if the Tau have an advantage, it is that they have a extremely cost efficient access to good guns. So, to your list:

Cadre Fireblade (60)

Good, solid, cost-effective HQ. I, personally, prefer the Ethereal in a Devilfish with FWs, but I play an uncharacteristicall y aggressive style of Tau (which works very well, by the way, but anyway...)

XV8 Team (114)

I like this team, in general. I'd say that, against the majority of vehicles you're likely to face at 750 (you will very likely see AV12 or less, but relatively few AV13+ stuff save from Necrons), taking a pair of Missile Pods instead of the Fusion would serve you well. This way you can also have them float close to your gunline and contribute their flamers to any overwatch that is needed. That said, dropping them isn't a bad idea, either. My only concern is that they have to come in from reserves and not scatter off target in order to do that. It creates a level of randomness you might not want to deal with.

Stealth Team (120)
  4x Shas'ui

Yaaay! This guys are golden at low point levels. I'd even throw a couple drones with them, if possible. Adding in the cheap pinning firepower and disposable wounds is very helpful.

Firewarrior Team 1 (177)
  8 Shas'la

You don't need the Point Defense Targeting Relay. It just isn't very helpful--your guys will either already be out of the transport (with the drones disembarked, too) and get plenty of overwatch on their own *or* the Devilfish is about to be assaulted and there's nothing you can do about it with a couple lousy burst cannon shots.

Firewarrior Team 2 (135)
  10 Shas'la

Good team for the fireblade. Add in more FWs, if possible.

Kroot Squad (70)
  10 Kroot - sniper rounds

Again, quite good for the points and for the point level. Infiltrate is much more powerful in low point games--much more room to hide on the board.

Pathfinder Team (74)
  4 Shas'la - 2x rail rifle

Ditch them. With prejudice. There is much better stuff you can buy with these points. This unit, as is, doesn't have a lot to recommend it. It is fragile, it puts out limited firepower, it has too few Markerlights at too low a BS to make much difference, and it's a First Blood point waiting to happen.

At this point level, you can honestly get away with taking almost no markerlights. Most of those scary, crazy-cover-save monster units that everybody throws around can't really fit into a 750 point list unless they play Unbound. Furthermore, every markerlight you take is firepower you aren't using, and at 750 you don't have enough redundant firepower to make it worth it.

My recommendations for the spare points are as follows:
-Another Crisis Suit, rigged with plasma.
-Another bunch of Firewarriors to either fill out your existing units or buy a whole new one.
-Another pair of Stealths + some toys to make the Stealths extra mean.
-Another whole unit of Kroot (not exactly recommended, but they could be fun)
-A Broadside (which I *think* you can swing--haven't looked at the codex in a while, so I forget their exact cost).

As for the lone vehicle, I wouldn't worry too much. With Jink + the DPod, the Devilfish is a tough kill and it should deliver the FWs where you want them before it blows up. Just know that is *will* blow up eventually. As soon as the FWs are out of it and the Drones are disembarked (always, ALWAYS disembark the drones!), the enemy will probably ignore it in favor of more dangerous prey. Then you can use it to block LOS, tank shock, and harass.   

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice Wyddr.

Unfortunately I am limited by what I own and have built (or can assemble in the next couple days).

Off the top of my head I have
24 firewarriors
10 kroot (30 more unassembled)
2 crisis suits armed as my OP (5 more unassembled)
6 stealth suits, 5 pathfinders (5 more to build)
1 fish (1 unbuilt)
2 hammerheads (1 with railgun glued to the turret the other without weapon glued on)

I need to assemble the fireblade
No drones assmebled right now but would be easy to put some together if I go that route.

I thought about including the railhead but I need to free up 145 points for it with DPod and submunitions.  Dropping the pathfinders and point defense from the Fish only gives me 84.  All I can come up with is dropping one of the crisis suits and dropping the shas'ui in the second FW team back to a shas'la.  This frees up another 82 points.  So a total of 166 points which liets me buy the HH and bring the fish FW team up to 9 models and the foot team to a full 12.  The final list would look like:

Fireblade (60)
1x Crisis - 2x Fusion, Flamer (57)
Stealth Team (120)
  4x Shas'ui
FW Team 1 (176)
  9x Shas'la
  Fish - Dpod
FW Team 2 (120)
  12x Shas'la
Kroot Squad (70)
  10x Kroot - sniper rounds
Hammerhead (145)
  Railgun, Submunition, Dpod

For this I lose 1 fusion suit, 1 marker light, and the pathfinders.  In addition to the hammerhead I am gaining 2 more pulse rifles.

The other list I just came up with is:

Cadre Fireblade (60)
XV8 Team (114)
Stealth Team (192)
  Shas'vre - Drone controller, 2 gun drones
  4x Shas'ui
Firewarrior Team 1 (167)
  8 Shas'la
Firewarrior Team 2 (145)
  11 Shas'la
Kroot Squad (70)
  10 Kroot - sniper rounds

With this list I am gaining a Steath shas'vre with 2 drones and 1 more FW.

Post Merge: September  2, 2015, 11:54:20 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

The other option with the drones is marker drones instead of gun drones.  This would give me two mobile marker lights at the Shas'vre's BS.

[Edit 2]
I copied and edited the second list from my OP and forgot to remove the point defense.  The point totals already reflect the point defense being removed and using those points for another FW.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2015, 12:42:59 PM by kaldolaf »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
The Hammerhead list looks pretty strong for 750. As stated, AV13 can be hard to handle in a low-point environment, since high-end antitank is often lacking in numbers. I would argue that the Hammerhead doesn't really *need* the DPod, but your call there.

In the second list, I don't remember how much point defense costs, but I think it's enough to buy an additional firewarrior instead. Do that.

Two markerdrones with the Stealths is fun, but you run into a targeting problem. They all have to shoot at the same thing and the Stealths can't use the markerlight hits from the drones, so you wind up killing the thing you're marking before anybody can help. Unless mixed liberally with target locks, this doesn't work too well. Gun drones compliment the team's role better.

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »
Thank Wyddr, I edited my previous post regarding the point defense.  I also realized all my point totals are including bonding knife ritual on FW team 2.  Is the bonding ritual worth the points?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2015, 01:15:25 PM »
Is the bonding ritual worth the points?

No! No no no!  ;)

It has never come up for me, ever ever, not in years and years of playing Tau. Not in any edition or iteration of the game. Hell, not even in 4th, when it was theoretically useful.

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 2, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
OK, so here we go, these are the final two lists I am considering.  I have dropped the bonding knife and Shas'ui.  The Shas'ui was really a waste of 34 points to only get at FW BS.

List 1 - "Hammerhead" List
Fireblade (60)
Crisis Team (57)
  1x Shas'ui - 2x Fusion, Flamer
Stealth Team (120)
  4x Shas'ui
FW Team 1 (203)
  12x Shas'la
  Devilfish - Gun Drones, Dpod
FW Team 2 (108)
  12x Shas'la
Kroot Squad (70)
  10x Kroot - Sniper rounds
Hammerhead (130)
  Railgun, Submunition rounds

Total (748)

List 2 - "Elite" List
Fireblade (60)
Crisis Team (114)
  2x Shas'ui - 2x Fusion, Flamer
Stealth Team (222)
  Shas'vre - Drone Controller, 2x Gun Drones
  5x Shas'ui
FW Team 1 (176)
  9x Shas'la
  Devilfish - Gun Drones, Dpod
FW Team 2 (108)
  12x Shas'la
Kroot Squad (70)
  10x Kroot - Sniper rounds

Total (750)

I think I am leaning towards the Hammerhead list.  I give up 2 fusion shots per turn, 6 pulse shots per turn, and lose one flamer for overwatch use to gain a second tank (with AV 13) and decent AV (making up for the fusion somewhat) and good AI (making up for the pulse shots).  Just have to build my fireblade tonight.  And get a few more models painted (currently a lot of black models).  The wife and I are really slow getting models painted but it's great having a wife that enjoys building and painting.  She even has her own Eldar army we are slowly working on.  ;D

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 2, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »
I think either of those lists will acquit themselves well in a 750 game.

I do tend to shell out for the shas'ui, but mostly because I tend to fail Ld checks all the time. They aren't exactly crucial, though.

The wife and I are really slow getting models painted but it's great having a wife that enjoys building and painting.  She even has her own Eldar army we are slowly working on.  ;D

You, sir, are a lucky, lucky man. My wife can't even tolerate being in the same room as a warhammer game, let alone building and painting models.

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: September 8, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
well overall the tournament went well considering this was my first time playing 7th.

First game I faced vanilla marines.  I wasn't expecting the match to go well given his list:

Captain
5 man tac squad
5 man scout sqaud with missile launcher
3 centurion devastaors with gravcannons and grav amps
Dreadnaught with 13 front armor, heavy flamer, storm bulter and DCCW and siege fist
Stormtalon

The game was pure kill points plues secondary objectives.  I began by concentrating shooting on the centurions finally whittling them away on turn 4 (getting first blood in the process).  Meanwhile the centurions killed a FW or two per turn.  The hammerhead kept trying to take out the Dreadnaught but either couldn't hit or couldn't manage a glance on the penetrating roll.

His Stormtalon came in on turn two and proceeded to kill more FWs.  Turn 4 also saw his dreadnaught wipe the rest of my foot FWs and Fireblade giving him 3 VP (warlord, FW squad, and fireblade squad).  The next turn the dreadnuaght killed the hammerhead and so my stealths took the oppurtunity to glance it to death from behind.

In the end I had killed his tac squad, his centurions, and his dreadnaught and scored first blood.  He got slay the warlord, killed my koot, my fireblade, the HH, 1 FW squad, and the crisis somewhere in there.

final score, 4 - 6

Second game I faced dark angels:

Chaplain
Dreadnaught
5 man tac squad with missile launcher
5 man tac squad with plasma gun and plasma pistol on sergeant in razorback
5 man tac squad with plasma gun and plasma pistol on sergeant in rhino
5 man scout squad with missile launcher

This game was played with two objectives in table middle.  This game went alot better.  The kroot used sniper rounds to wipe the foot tac squad by turn 2.  The HH got lucky and destroyed the lascannon on the razorback on turn 3 before it had managed any damage.  He had joined the chaplain to the squad in the rhino and they had tried flanking the FW squad the had deployed from the fish on one objective.  Fortunately, he didn't realize the squad couldn't assault after disembarking and my two FW squads and kroot wiped the squad and chaplain the next turn (I think this was turn 3).  Turn 4 saw me turn my attention to the other side of the table to his remaining tac squad, scouts and dreadnaught (the razorback was moving along the backfield to try and get close enough to context the objective I was on).

my crisis and stealths were deepstriking and came in on turns 4 and 2 respectively.  The stealths had killed a couple of the scouts and then the dreadnaught killed two of them and they broke and ran.  When the crisis came on he entered right on target behind the dreadnaught and proceeded to obliterate it with fusion fire.  My firewarriors glanced the rhino and razorback to death and the crisis, fish, HH, and drones finished off the remaining scouts and tac squad.

Game 3 I faced another tau player:

Commander with Fusion and Missile pod
Crisis with TL Fusion
Crisis with TL Fusion
4x 8 man FW squads w/ Shas'ui, Marker and Target lock, and bnding knife
2x 15 man krrot squads, no upgrades

This game we each placed an objective within our deployment zones.  Turn 1 I managed to kill about half of one of his kroot squads.  He then proceeded to kill half of my kroot.  Turn 2 was more of the same killing a few more of his kroot and he then wiped out my kroot - first blood to him.  Turn 3 I disembarked my FW in the middle of the table and rapid fired one of his FW squads that had moved forward and only managed to kill 2 of them (he made some great armor saves).  He then killed the fish, the drones and a few FWs.  Turn 4 my HH killed one crisis with solid shot when he failed his cover save and my mounted FW squad killed the second crisis when they forced a massive amount of saves.  The game was pretty static after that.  We each held one objective and he had first blood.  His commander was stuck in LoS after a bad thrust move roll and then constantly going to ground to try and not give up slay the warlord to allow me a draw.  But we got to time and I had been unable to make any progress.  In hind site I made some mistakes my final two turns.

The HH was lucky killing the 1 crisis earlier.  turns 4 and 5 I should have used submunitions to try and get his kroot off teh objective in his deployment zone.  I also had my FWs shoot one of his FW sqauds on turn 5 even though they had range to his commander after I used the fireblades light to mark the commander.  I should have just had them all shoot the commander using volley fire again and force some more saves especially since he only had 1 wound left.  I might have been able to get the draw or maybe even a win if the submunitions had killed enough kroot.

Final score: 3 - 4

All in all, it was a fun tournament and I think I learned a few things.  The fireblade and volley fire proved exceptionally useful in all three games and the kroot with sniper rounds did great against regular marines but not so great against the centurions though that was partly from not rolling a single 6 to wound.  The HH was very hit or moss (literally).  Finally, the fusion crisis while I can see a use for in larger games was really ineffective for the most part in these small games.  I might have to try magnetizing my crisis weapons to see how that works.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
Sounds like a good time--glad the Kroot worked for you. Mine hardly ever do anything.

How did the Stealth Team fare?

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
The Stealths were so so.  They managed a good bit of damage but they tended to not survive long.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »
The Stealths were so so.  They managed a good bit of damage but they tended to not survive long.

Using them is something of an art form, for sure. I often have a tendency to get too aggressive and then lose them. I find they work wonderfully at low-point levels, though.