News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldrad Ulthran (First model)  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Deschain

• Hai
Eldrad Ulthran (First model)
« on: December 13, 2005, 07:35:26 PM »
Well it's not the first model i've ever painted, im returning to the hobby after about 5 years, used to play when I was 15 or so but when I used to paint, I would rush models and when I look at my old ones now, they look crap, back then I used to be a marine player but now im going for eldar. As for this model, im happy with it as my first model since returning, but I think I need to thin down the paint a bit more, especially for the gems, so I may strip it and repaint. And ill do the base once im happy with the model, will probably base it with the GW gravel then paint it black and drybrush grey on it, something simple.

"Control the things you can control"

Offline No Remorse

• Ancient
Re: Eldrad Ulthran (First model)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:11:59 PM »
Yeah it looks great for a triumphant return to the hobby :) The gems need to have a better transitions but overall he is clean and crisp and not a bad go for 5 years without any practice.

Ja

Offline Branigan's Law

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »
looks great, though it could use some drybrushing/blending on the black parts and some blending on the gems

also if u wanted to be daring you could blend and highlight the cloak with some blue, instead of gray. may make a good effect like these icubi.....

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/darkeldar/catalog/incubi.htm

overall looks good and very neat

Offline Rick

• meh
    • some of my mini's
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:27:45 PM »
wow, very nice.  But it somehow doesn't look finished (too much black).  Perhaps a bit more highlighting on the black, and/or painting the sword a different colour.  Otherwise very cool, nice lines.

/check out the articles on www.coolminiornot.c om for painting gems (you will need to signup to access these articles: http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/200, http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/41)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:32:44 PM by Rick »

Offline The Ego-Man

• BANNED: And good bloody riddance. --- Hypocrite: Preaches what he doesn't practice
  • Recovering Spamaholic
  • I got banned becuase I was useless.
    • The Eldar Templates Crusade
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 09:23:22 AM »
i did the same thing: once upon a time i used to play a lot and my models sucked...
right now eldrad looks good, but if you want to re-start painting i'd suggest you to start with something basic, like guardians for example...
I fought the law, and the law won!

Offline Deschain

• Hai
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:53:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, those articles will help a lot! And good idea, perhaps ill paint some guardians next :)

Offline The Ego-Man

• BANNED: And good bloody riddance. --- Hypocrite: Preaches what he doesn't practice
  • Recovering Spamaholic
  • I got banned becuase I was useless.
    • The Eldar Templates Crusade
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:14:51 PM »
the trick is to start with guardians, then paint warlocks/aspects and then farseers and exarchs.
as the warriors go on with calsses, you do the same with painting.
I fought the law, and the law won!

Offline Grimnar

• For the Wolves
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 03:44:11 PM »
looks good. your bone looks nice too

Offline valincius

• Bow before the =][=
    • Bolterandchainsword
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:04:35 PM »
Nice wow did you do all teh little balls?

I came, I saw, I concuered
Julius Caesor

Offline Malakai

• Armies: Craftworlders, Dark Angels, Heretic Astartes, Orks
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »
I think it is a good work from a conceptual standpoint. You didn't get lost in all of the detail. Alot of times when new painters begin painting a model as detailed as Eldrad they will use a different colour for nearly every bit of detail. It ends up looking like rainbow brite took a amphetamine parrot on it. Kudos to you for having abit of forethought and sticking with it. Practice will help you blend those gems better, but what makes a good painter seems to already come natural to you. Looking forward to seeing more.

Malakai
-Malakai

Offline Deschain

• Hai
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 04:35:58 PM »
I think it is a good work from a conceptual standpoint. You didn't get lost in all of the detail. Alot of times when new painters begin painting a model as detailed as Eldrad they will use a different colour for nearly every bit of detail. It ends up looking like rainbow brite took a amphetamine parakeet on it. Kudos to you for having abit of forethought and sticking with it. Practice will help you blend those gems better, but what makes a good painter seems to already come natural to you. Looking forward to seeing more.

Malakai

Heh thanks, originally I was going to paint some of the bigger gems red/orange/yellow but then he would have looked like a christmas decoration so kept it to the darker colours ^^
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 04:40:58 PM by Deschain »

Offline AntoniustheGreat

• There is only one choice, be awesome!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 11:45:26 AM »
Dang, dude, I think that painting is awesome!  You did a great job.  I really, really like the way that came out!  The gems really bring out the model, and I love the color scheme.  :)
Beginnings swirl into the forgotten past, like ideas fading into the inconstant oceans of memory.  They swim, free-floating on the cusp of the empyrean, flickering in and out of reality, as though prodding at the consciousness of a submerged mind.--From The Treachery of Vision by Eldrad Ulthran, Ulthwe, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War Ascension