News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What to do with Assault Centurions?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
What to do with Assault Centurions?
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »
I mean aside from "leave them on the shelf."

I get that they have problems (an assault unit with S&P?), but they *do* hit really hard and at initiative with their super-drills. They get a bunch of free shooting weapons, too.

So, what can you do with them (assuming you plan on doing something with them).

My thoughts go as follows:

1) Mount them in a Land Raider (that way they get where they're going. The cost becomes very high, granted, but LRs are pretty damned reliable transports in this edition, barring masses of Str D coming your way).

2) Drop them in a Pod (though this necessitates them standing around to get shot for a round. They *do* have guns, though, unlike Assault Termies). No getting back in the Pod to ride somewhere else, though, which is problematic.

3) Give them somebody to Tank for them. (Lysander seems the obvious choice, though the price skyrockets then.)

Anybody used these guys or seen them used? Any wild ideas?

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: What to do with Assault Centurions?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
I'm no expert of course but they seem almost purpose built to be deployed from Land Raiders.  But that just leaves the question, can they do a Raider Rush better than anything else to justify the price?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »
I'm no expert of course but they seem almost purpose built to be deployed from Land Raiders.  But that just leaves the question, can they do a Raider Rush better than anything else to justify the price?

That's kinda the big question, isn't it? Their main competition is clearly Assault Terminators (and I guess tooled up Vanguard Vets or Honor Guard as a secondary concern, but let's leave that aside for the moment).

To run the comparison between Termies Vs Assault Cents:

1) Same Armor Save (tie)
2) Neither can Sweep.
3) Termies have an invul and access to storm shields.
4) Centurions have more wounds for fewer points.
5) Termies have more attacks for the points.
6) Centurions have shooting attacks (and fairly potent ones against infantry)
7) Termies can run and deepstrike by themselves.
8) Centurions have a better Toughness.
9) Termies have better Leadership
10) Centurions have higher strength attacks, delivered at initiative.

I think they come out fairly even, frankly. Assault Termies get those storm shields and more attacks for the points, Assault Cents get shooting attacks, stronger attacks at initiative, and are overall cheaper per wound. The *biggest* drawback for the Cents is the lack of invul save, which you can mitigate somewhat with a tough IC to tank for them. I mean, in theory. I'm going to have to try this out. 

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:01:32 PM »
1) Same Armor Save (tie)
2) Neither can Sweep.
3) Termies have an invul and access to storm shields.
4) Centurions have more wounds for fewer points.
5) Termies have more attacks for the points.
6) Centurions have shooting attacks (and fairly potent ones against infantry)
7) Termies can run and deepstrike by themselves.
8) Centurions have a better Toughness.
9) Termies have better Leadership
10) Centurions have higher strength attacks, delivered at initiative.

After reading this it seems as though Terminators are better suited at taking on monstrous creatures, combat walkers and other elite assault troops (basically things that can fight back in cc) on account of the invulnerable saves and higher number of attacks, whilst Centurions seem better suited at shooting and grinding up ordinary infantry or non walking vehicles.  So I guess it depends entirely upon your opponent's forces.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:44:33 PM »
I think if you include a tanking IC in the unit, the Assault Cents get a lot better. If an MC has to spend its attacks bashing on Lysander (for instance), the rest of the Centurions are going to be able to tear him apart.

As for Walkers, it all depends on Initiative. If they have a lower initiative than the Cents, they're scrap metal for sure. Sadly, *most* walkers can equal or beat a Centurion Initiative.

I don't play against them, so I don't know what their I is, but can Cents beat out Imperial Knights in assault?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
I've faced Cent's (in the old codex) with the captain that had the Eternal Warrior storm shield, and he would take my Imperial Knights to town every time with that list.

Honestly, if they make it to combat, there is very little they can not take on if they have a tank character leading the way
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »
I've always enjoyed using a storm raven for getting my assault units around. It helps get those assault centurions to a unit where their attacks are going to do the most good.  Much faster than a land raider but you can't get a turn 2 assault and you are in a flyer which many people have an aversion to.

I have had the same experience facing them as GML.  They had a thunderhammer, artificer armor, and the shield eternal.  It made for a rough fight.

If you don't want them to be the center point death star then a I would put them in a drop pod.  They are a multi-wound model with high toughness.  If they drop into the enemies back field and they have any sort of static element then they have to deal with them or face losing their backfield.  It creates a distraction and messes with their target priority while you close with the rest of your force.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire