News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: R/F 1500 Swarm build  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Sharzak

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
R/F 1500 Swarm build
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:21:30 AM »
Right now I'm considering running
2 units of 3 Zoanthropes
Hive Guard brood, all 3
3 units of 20 Hormagaunts w/ toxic sacs
Hive Tyrant, Wings
Termagaunt Brood, Devourers (10, 100 points total)
Tervigon, scything talons and toxic sacs

This brings me to exactly 1500.  Not super familiar with the Tyranid dex yet but I am enchanted by the idea of fielding dozens of models since I generally play more elite armies.  This is an all comers list.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: R/F 1500 Swarm build
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »
Right now I'm considering running
2 units of 3 Zoanthropes
Hive Guard brood, all 3
3 units of 20 Hormagaunts w/ toxic sacs
Hive Tyrant, Wings
Termagaunt Brood, Devourers (10, 100 points total)
Tervigon, scything talons and toxic sacs

This brings me to exactly 1500.  Not super familiar with the Tyranid dex yet but I am enchanted by the idea of fielding dozens of models since I generally play more elite armies.  This is an all comers list.

A common theme these days among newcomers to Tyranids. There's something very enjoyable about generating large numbers of free models.

This mostly looks like a fine list, but it does have one glaring flaw, namely that your Termagants (the ones you've paid for) will die horribly in no time unless you give them a really good screen. Gaunts with devourers are great, but they cost a lot and die easily, so you'll need to find some way to make that less of an issue. If you pay the points for Catalyst on your Tervigon and are careful to hide them as much as possible you should go some way towards keeping them around, but generally I'd say the best thing to do is make the unit larger. After all you can still screen them, and still give them Feel No Pain, but with more models to start with you'll be left with gaunts who can inflict rather more damage after the inevitable pasting from enemy fire.

That aside, not a bad looking list, although you may struggle to get the most out of your hormagaunts
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: R/F 1500 Swarm build
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
Chuckles comments are good as ever. I would like to add another dimension, which is you are vulnerable to fliers, and there are many more of them around. I accept that you might manage to take them down with Zoanthropes, but it is literally hit and miss with these guys against fliers.

Another way to develop the list is to take two sets of twin linked brain leach worms on the hive tyrant. This gives you a much more reliable way of hitting fliers, but you have to pay for them. In your list I would either do that by dropping 4 Hormagaunts, would you really miss 4 in 60, or switching to two squads of Hive Guards and one squad of Zoanthropes rather than the other way round.

Best of Luck.