News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DO I need any more books besides Codex Imperial Guard  (Read 795 times)

Offline danscan

• I have no personal text.
    • Warlord Titan Pics
DO I need any more books besides Codex Imperial Guard
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:10:41 AM »
I have the rule book.  I have a codex for SM, IG, and Necron(they seemed to have so many special rules and crap). 

So what other codexs or books do I need to get to create a good IG army with as many options as I can. 
Can I ally with another force? 

Does this site have a list of gamers specific to areas (london Area, Philadelphia(USA), etc)?
If not this would be good idea.  I checked the one out on GW but it just lists them by city and state.  And most states are really big. And areas are more accurate then cities.

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: DO I need any more books besides Codex Imperial Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »
For IG High Command Units: UK WD 308
For Deathwatch Kill Teams as allies: A fairly recent White Dwarf. I can't be bothered to look it up.
For Witch Hunter allies: Codex Witch Hunters
For Daemon Hunter allies: Codex Daemonhunters
For Kroot allies: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/kroot%2Dlist/
If you want to field a pure death world veterans army using Codex Catachans: http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/catachan-rules/1/
If you want to field an armoured company: http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/ac%2Darmylist/1/ http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/ac%2Dvehicles/1/
If you're using Tanith doctrines and want extra characters: http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/gaunts%2Dghosts/
If you want more doctrines: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=79674.0

About the last one: It's point 7, but it's a very good idea to read all of the others as well before asking any more questions. :)

Offline Lt. Colonel Nightblade

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 11:36:55 AM »
In addition to the above:

The Imperial Armour books contain rules for various tanks not in your codex (ie the Griffon and the Exterminator), as well as rules for the Elysian Drop Troops and the Tallarn Desert Raiders.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away the hoofèd liar.
Roof and door and block and beam, drive the Trickster from our dreams.

Member of the Board 18 Chain of Command.

Offline Major Krämer

• Major
  • Kill the Xenos, purge the Xenos, burn the Xenos!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 04:51:15 PM »
And every IG guardsman(regardless of the rank) should own his copy of the "Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer"!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 05:19:30 PM by Lieutenant Krämer »
Oberst Krämer, commander-in-chief of the XIIº Regiment
of the DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG, also known as the black shadows

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:16:36 PM »
And every IG general should own his copy of the "Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer"!!!

just to point out but every "GUARDSMAN", regardless of rank must have this!!!

i will try and get anyone with out it, shot at the sabbat crusade day!! (is any commissar going?)

buy (or look at someone else's copy) of IAV1 and IAV3, even if you don't want to use FW stuff, the amount of background info is outstanding.

Jim
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 05:22:37 PM »
What is the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer? It sounds like something I should get....
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »
What is the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer? It sounds like something I should get....

it was avalible from the BL awhile a go, its the handbook for infantry, containing useful info/prayers, its a must for all fluff warriors of the imperial guard, (ie people who like big themes and backgrounds to their forces)

jim
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 06:35:03 PM »
Some people would say that you need the Gaunts Ghosts books as well for background, or 'fun' personally thats rubbish.

I do not own Uplifting Primer, only because I spent the allocated '40k Cash' from my mini-budget on some more armoured support.

Currently I am purchasing several more tanks, but over the following months the either IA 1 or IA 3 will be purchased.

But the rule of thumb is that

~Swipe.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:34 PM »
Where can one find this uplifting primer? I must have it!!! SO this is where all you crazy xenophobic guard players get your crazy prayers eh?
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline kuchervano

• Lieutenant