News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Reborn Warhost - 1750  (Read 1168 times)

Offline PopeLeoXIV

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Reborn Warhost - 1750
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:50:39 AM »
Hi all,

Interested in receiving some feedback on an army list I've put together recently.  I feel it should serve quite capably as a take-all-comers list, however any thoughts on opponents/scenarios it might struggle with would be appreciated.  I'm not really in a position to purchase models at the moment, but I have available to me an Avatar of Khaine (incompatible with Ynnari but fine for Craftworld), a few more Jetbikes and Vypers and two Wraithlords if needed.

HQ:  Farseer with Singing Spear (Revenant Discipline, deploying with Fire Dragons)

Troops:  5 Rangers
Troops:  5 Rangers
Troops:  3 Windriders

Fast Attack:  Vyper with Starcannon
Fast Attack:  Vyper with Starcannon
Fast Attack:  Crimson Hunter with Exarch, Starcannons

Heavy Support:  Falcon with Starcannon
Heavy Support:  Fire Prism

Formation - Aspect Host
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch: Wave Serpent with TL Bright Lance
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch: Wave Serpent with TL Bright Lance
9 Fire Dragons, Exarch: Wave Serpent with TL Bright Lance

I should note that the small units sizes for the troops are intentional.  The rangers will deploy nearby one another for morale purposes, and to fish for soulburst.  Much the same, the bikes can either operate together as a hunting pack, or be kept out of harm's way to seize objectives in the late game.  I figure there's enough units otherwise to break open transports and to suitably mangle the contents.  Anyhow, any feedback will be appreciated.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Reborn Warhost - 1750
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:07:41 AM »
Honestly with the high mobility of your force, I really don't see the advantage of taking Ynnari here. By keeping it with the craftworld codex you keep with the mobility by maintaining battle focus. The ability for your avengers, dragons, and rangers to battle focus after shooting is just too vital for a list composition like this than for the opportunity to take another action after a close friendly units demise.

Running your Ynnari as a horde and using the avatar would be much more beneficial than taking all the jet bikes and transports, in my opinion. Your models need to be tight together in some sort of castle formation either as a gun line or marching horde. The jet bikes and transports will just be really too spaced out.

Or use Ynnari to take advantage of army composition by adding harlequins or dark eldar.

Right now, I don't see the advantage of running your list under the Ynnari rules, but my interpretation of the new rules is not extensive, so I'll leave it to the experts for a more in depth analysis.

Other than which rules you're using for the force, I really like the composistion of your army. It's mobile and has some decent AP for both MEC, TEC, and armour. Maybe switch some starcannons for brightlances, but that really depends on your meta.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think that's a nice shooty list, which means fast sturdy CC armies may get you into trouble. Nurgle bikers, Spaceworfs and Deldar may be troublesome for you.
Still it's a good rock, papper, scissors army.

I agree to what dog_of_war said, you don't really have much use for SfD. However you could solve this by taking the Aspect host as an non Ynnari formation.

With some small modifications you could use the falcon cloudstrike.

Wait how about something like this:
ELDAR battlehost: 679
Windrider host: 383
Farseer on bike with stone & spear 135
Warlock on bike 50
3x3 Windriders 153
Vyper, starcannon 45

Aspect host: 296
6 Dire Avengers, Exarch 88
6 Dire Avengers, Exarch 88
5 Fire Dragons, Exarch 120

Reborn Warhost: 820
Farseer, spear (Warlord) 105
2x5 Rangers 120
Crimson hunter, Exarch, Starcannons 160
Vyper, Starcannon 45
3x Falcon, BL 390

1749p
You could of course swap the aspect host and the crimson hunter if you'd like.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
Things with long range, and want to stay at long range (like Rangers) should really not be counted on for soulburst. You also have a lot of vehicles that will not benefit.

Any suggestions I would make would be a completely different list I'm affraid.

Offline PopeLeoXIV

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
Hi guys, thank you very much for the feedback, those are some really good points for consideration.

I'd not really thought of taking a Windrider Host, however I must admit I'm intrigued by the idea.  My concern would be what to do with the Warlock - give him a singing spear and turbo boost him around the board to hunt isolated tanks?.  He feels a bit of a tax, and I'd rather not expand the Conclave upward to justify the investment.  If he is viable as a solo mischief maker then I could see it working.  Regarding the Cloudstrike formation, I can see how it would offer a solid firebase alongside the deep strike capacity, but I'm probably going to steer clear just from a modelling standpoint.

Regarding the armies it may struggle against, I gather this is because of their capacity to field high toughness/mobility units that can close distance and engage in assault, thereby getting to the Achilles heel of the list - no real assault capability.  My plan would be to maintain distance and pick away with Starcannons, however I can appreciate this is easier said than done, particularly with cover/shrouding and whatnot.  Again, something for me to think about.

So the last big question is Ynnari vs Craftworld.  My hope was that by keeping the Aspect Host fairly close together and using the Warhost of Ynnead rule, that they could inflict a lot of punishment - Dire Avengers/Fire Dragons shooting twice and whatnot.  The mobility of Battle Focus is certainly more universal, however I like the idea of being able to play more aggressively, albeit with careful consideration.  Perhaps the best idea would be to run it a few times under each configuration and see how it went, then report back.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »
I'd not really thought of taking a Windrider Host, however I must admit I'm intrigued by the idea.  My concern would be what to do with the Warlock - give him a singing spear and turbo boost him around the board to hunt isolated tanks?.  He feels a bit of a tax, and I'd rather not expand the Conclave upward to justify the investment.  If he is viable as a solo mischief maker then I could see it working.

Yes, the warlock is a tax, but you can use him for a one hit wonder, preferably near some units with SfD, for example have him use sanctic powers and throw a couple of dice to have him pop his own head by perils of the warp and presto: Soulburst. ;)

Regarding the Cloudstrike formation, I can see how it would offer a solid firebase alongside the deep strike capacity, but I'm probably going to steer clear just from a modelling standpoint.

I have magnetised the pulselasers and some other weapons on 2 falcons so I can use them as either falcons or wave serpents. Yes, the turret looks a bit odd, but as long as the weapons are WYSIWYG no one has complained. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, the serpents are by no means bad especially with effectively BS10 (twinlinked BS5).

Regarding the armies it may struggle against, I gather this is because of their capacity to field high toughness/mobility units that can close distance and engage in assault, thereby getting to the Achilles heel of the list - no real assault capability.  My plan would be to maintain distance and pick away with Starcannons, however I can appreciate this is easier said than done, particularly with cover/shrouding and whatnot.  Again, something for me to think about.

Yes, no assault ability will force you to play very defensively, along with no ability to soak hits, once a fast CC unit gets into your lines you are going to lose a unit each turn. The avatar of Khaine could of course soak up some hits and deny a flank, but he really is more suited for a CC oriented army on foot. The Yncarne would probably suit you better, but with the triumvirate to get to his full potential is a hefty tax, and you would basically have to rebuild your list.

Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.