News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: !,850 pts. of fluffy Vostroyans for CoD...  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
!,850 pts. of fluffy Vostroyans for CoD...
« on: July 15, 2006, 03:22:42 AM »
... now I need your help making it effective while keeping the list fluffy as well.  Anyway, here's the initial list:

VOSTROYAN FIRSTBORN VII
1,850 Pts - Imperial Guard Roster

++DOCTRINES++

Special Equipment: Carapace Armor
Skills and Drills: Die-Hards
Skills and Drills: Iron Discipline
Skills and Drills: Sharpshooters
Skills and Drills: Veterans

++HQ++

Command Platoon @ 481 Pts

Heroic Senior Officer @ 135 Pts
Laspistol; Power Weapon; Die-Hards; Iron Discipline
     Bionics
     Macharian Cross
     Master Crafted Weapon
     Medallion Crimson

4 Guardsmen @ 51 Pts
     Lasgun (x2); Plasmagun (x2); Regimental Standard

Sentinel Squadron @ 50 Pts
     Multilaser
     Rough Terrain Modification

Fire Support Squad @ 110 Pts
     Lasgun (x3); Heavy Bolter (x3); Sharpshooters

++ELITES++

Hardened Veterans @ 158 Pts
     Lasgun (x6); Flamer (x3); Frag Grenades; Die-Hards

Veteran Sergeant @ 34 Pts
     Laspistol; Power Fist; Frag Grenades; Die-Hards

Veteran Sergeant @ 34 Pts
     Laspistol; Power Fist; Frag Grenades; Die-Hards

++TROOPS++

Infantry Platoon @ 295 Pts

Command Squad @ 65 Pts
     Junior Officer @ 45 Pts
     Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Iron Discipline
      4 Guardsmen
     Lasgun (x4)

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Lasgun (x7); Plasmagun; Lascannon
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

Infantry Platoon @ 295 Pts

Command Squad @ 65 Pts
     Junior Officer @ 45 Pts
      4 Guardsmen
     Lasgun (x4)

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

++FAST ATTACK++

Hellhound @ 132 Pts
     Inferno Cannon; Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter
     Pintle Heavy Stubber

Multilaser

Multilaser

++HEAVY SUPPORT++

Leman Russ Demolisher @ 170 Pts
     Demolisher Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter; Sponson Heavy Bolter

Total Roster Cost: 1,789 points

It's late, so I'll answer any questions tomorrow after you've had a chance to look at the list.  As always, comments are appreciated.
"A commander must have the courage to see his plan through,
for good or ill. Wars are won or lost when the battle-lines are
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline Skankin_Catachan

• Colonel
  • why?!why?!why was i programed to feel pain!?
Re: !,850 pts. of fluffy Vostroyans for CoD...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
honestly this list looks pretty sweet. if i were you id drop some wargear from your hso and take the lascannons in your platoons and instead mount them on sentinels. movement is key in cityfight and LoS is hard to track. i think its best to hasve your lascannons on a mobile vehicle that can move and shoot. then again they are very fragile, but its worth the trade. if you wanna, give the platoons hvy. bolters if you need a heavy weapon. they are alot cheaper and makes the squad for tactically flexible.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 06:02:01 PM »
Hm, some serious problems here I'll just run over the important ones.

Heroic Senior Officer, yeah check him out tooled to the nines and still not that good. IG aren't that good in combat no matter what you do to them, its a common trap for new players to spend lots of points upgrading an HQ from 'pathetic' in combat all the way up to being 'poor.' You spend a lot and don't get much bang for your buck.

I'd cut way back on this, the best thing to do with officers it to lead from the rear, this keeps the standard near the other infantry units which keeps them fighting. By all means by his unit a heavy weapon of some not too expensive kind but loose anything else, unless you want a powersword for the "I'm-a-hero" factor.
I generally make do with a JO leading the army, fluffwise the generals are back at the command drinking gin and moving little counters around on the map table. Plus it means more points for guys with guns, numbers is the advantage of the guard so it pays to use it.

I don't rate fire support units that much, with the ease of killing guardsmen it means there isn't much standing between the enemy and those expensive heavy weapons being taken off the board. Importantly you have made the correct choice keeping sharpshooters only on these units.

Veterans, you're paying extra points for BS4 so you might as well use it, meltas and grenade launchers are both great if you intend assaulting but I'd suggest picking up a heavy weapon and grenade launchers/plasmas, dropping the sarge and infiltataing into cover to shoot the enemy.
Guard in combat: still rubbish. have an assault based unit if you like but con't make it a main tactic.
Try grenade launchers, they're surprisingly good.

Infantry command units make much better special weapon units than HQ command. Mainly for the reason that without a standard they don't do a whole lot of leading. Excelent disposeable units, equiped with four flamers they can make a excelent count attack unit dealing with assaulting enemies that have ripped one of your squads to bits.
You might want to think about squeezing in a chimera with a heavy flamer to carry them about if you do.

Plas/Las infantry squads are great! Deploy in cover with good LOS and don't move. This keeps lascannons safe and firing which they won't be on a sentinel.

From the vehicles considering its a cityfight list, its good but if you play in the open at all you're looking at trouble. One battletank on it's own tends to not do that well as it gets targetted a lot, two is much better although you haven't got the points for that. Stick to being canny with the cover and you should be able to get the use out of them.

Overall I'd rate the list as distinctly average, improvements can be made without loosing fluffyness.

Incidently, "... now I need your help," are you ok Gaz? Normally you're only patrolling the rules forum slapping noobs for being stupid, its a bit of a change seeing you here. :P
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:52:13 PM »
Heroic Senior Officer, yeah check him out tooled to the nines and still not that good. IG aren't that good in combat no matter what you do to them, its a common trap for new players to spend lots of points upgrading an HQ from 'pathetic' in combat all the way up to being 'poor.' You spend a lot and don't get much bang for your buck.

I'd cut way back on this, the best thing to do with officers it to lead from the rear, this keeps the standard near the other infantry units which keeps them fighting. By all means by his unit a heavy weapon of some not too expensive kind but loose anything else, unless you want a powersword for the "I'm-a-hero" factor.
I generally make do with a JO leading the army, fluffwise the generals are back at the command drinking gin and moving little counters around on the map table. Plus it means more points for guys with guns, numbers is the advantage of the guard so it pays to use it.

The HSO isn't really kitted out for CC in this configuration, but I have spent a few points that I can use elsewhere.  If I were to drop anything, it would be the master crafting and the Medallion Crimson.  The bionics and the power weapon are fluffy and not a lot of points, while the Cross has it's uses.  That means I now have 91 points left.

I don't rate fire support units that much, with the ease of killing guardsmen it means there isn't much standing between the enemy and those expensive heavy weapons being taken off the board. Importantly you have made the correct choice keeping sharpshooters only on these units.

Since I'm bulding an army for use with the Cities of Death, the Fire Support should be in cover most of the time.

Veterans, you're paying extra points for BS4 so you might as well use it, meltas and grenade launchers are both great if you intend assaulting but I'd suggest picking up a heavy weapon and grenade launchers/plasmas, dropping the sarge and infiltataing into cover to shoot the enemy.
Guard in combat: still rubbish. have an assault based unit if you like but con't make it a main tactic.
Try grenade launchers, they're surprisingly good.

Again, this army is made to be effective in a Cities of Death enviroment.  That means that I need units to move forward and take objectives.  With the Infiltrate stratagem, that mission falls to the Veterans with cover provided by the Fire Support squads and the platoons.  I also chose to equip the squads with flamers since they ignore the cover saves so prevalent in a city enviroment.

Infantry command units make much better special weapon units than HQ command. Mainly for the reason that without a standard they don't do a whole lot of leading. Excelent disposeable units, equiped with four flamers they can make a excelent count attack unit dealing with assaulting enemies that have ripped one of your squads to bits.
You might want to think about squeezing in a chimera with a heavy flamer to carry them about if you do.

In my Ultramar PDF list I have three platoon Command Squads.  One has four flamers (and a power fist on the JO) while the other two have two grenade launchers.  I was so busy working on the other elements of the army, I forgot to equip them with anything.

As for the Chimera, I prefer not to use transports unless I'm going Mechanized.  A lone transport has the same problems as a lone tank.  It has a big bullseye painted on it's hull.

Plas/Las infantry squads are great! Deploy in cover with good LOS and don't move. This keeps lascannons safe and firing which they won't be on a sentinel.

The Las/Plas squads are a favorite of the IG Commanders on Dakka Dakka as well.  Good thing they make them in metal for the Vostroyans as I don't really want to do much in the way of conversions.  One though I did have that wouldn't be too hard would be to substitute autocannons for the lascannons.  I would lose some anti-tank power in favor of increased anti-personnel fire.

From the vehicles considering its a cityfight list, its good but if you play in the open at all you're looking at trouble. One battletank on it's own tends to not do that well as it gets targetted a lot, two is much better although you haven't got the points for that. Stick to being canny with the cover and you should be able to get the use out of them.

Trust me, I tried every which way that I could to fit in another Demolisher.  I just couldn't come up with any compromises that I was happy with.

Incidently, "... now I need your help," are you ok Gaz? Normally you're only patrolling the rules forum slapping noobs for being stupid, its a bit of a change seeing you here. :P

I'm more than willing to admit that when it comes to tactics, I'm no Alexander the Great or Robert E. Lee.  I know the rules and am a pretty good painter as well.  Two out of three aspects of the game isn't that bad.
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:17:25 PM »
I see, perhaps used the saved points from the HSO to buy flamers for the platoon command section. Fair enough on keeping the cross if you rate it, its a matter of personal taste as fair as that goes.
In an infantry heavy list like you have I'd almost be tempted with a powerfist wielding commissar, trouble is every time I write one into a list I can't but help considering I'd prefer another unit of guys for the points.
I won't contest on the transport option, in close terrain the extra movment is limited so much of the advantage isn't used. Besides if you've done it in other armies theres no point repeating; it might just be me but I don't change armies just to play the same way.

If you've no intention of playing outside of cityfight or terrain light cityfight boards then you're right to stay with the flamers on the vets. I still feel its a bit of a waste of that wonderful BS4 not to have a shooting gun. With three special weapons choices you can afford to spread the bets a bit, one melta or grenade launcher here and there could go a long way when the chips are down.

I'd also reflect the guys on dakka saying that if you're running for an assualt its really worthwhlie trying to get hold of shotguns or laspistol & combatweapon. Not sure on the actual mechanics but it might not be that hard a conversion job from the big wooden lasguns.

Lascannons for Autocannons? Wouldn't do it if I where you, not least that  lascannons instant kill things like oblitorators which are really annoying to deal with otherwise. I'd almost be tempted to shift the other way and swap a heavy bolter squad to autocannons. Maybe thats one to leave until you see how the current configuration does.

Trust me, I tried every which way that I could to fit in another Demolisher.

Yep, its an old problem that confronts all IG commanders at one time or another, but it will never be truly solved.

Two out of three aspects of the game isn't that bad.

Well I'm not going to make an issue out of that; I can hardly paint. I'd still try and claim two out of three on a good day though...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Centurion69

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:17:43 PM »
From the games of COD that I have played so far, I have come to a few conclusions that might help you when drawing up your list. First of all the flamers on the vets is fine, though I wouldn't configure them that way in a normal game, in COD where cover saves are abundant the flamer is the best special the guard have against any opponent. This also applies to vehicles...in my COD game saturday I had one hellhound and two Demolishers against an infantry heavy eldar list (Win for me, unfortunately he wasn't Medusa V registered). Without any doubt the hellhound was the star of the show. If I had another HH, I would replace a Demolisher in my list with it. COD really brings out their potential. Another suggestion for your vets is to replace any lasguns with shotguns. Although it limits your range to 12", with your flamers you want to get in close anyway, and having shotguns allows you to charge your opponent with full attacks after unloading buckshot and hellfire, keeping them from charging you.

I prefer to have Autocannons over Heavy Bolters in my Fire Support squads, but that is mostly a personal opinion and how my army operates. Heavy Weapon squads also shine in COD, and having Carapace will guarantee you a save against most weapons, as most weapons that ignore cover (flamers, airbursting frag projectors, etc) don't have the ap to ignore armor value 4. Put your Fire Support in buildings spread out over different levels and they should last well into the game.

Again, my personal preference rises. Lascannons in infantry squads is fine in regualr 40k games. In COD you MUST move forward. This means your infantry. Putting your Lascannons into Anti-tank squads (with sharpshooters) would be my choice here instead of in the grunt platoons. Grunt Platoons (no offence to any grunts, I've been one), will in most of the COD missions be needed to move forward and help grab key buildings. You don't want to waste any turns firing with your heavy hitters, so I put the Lascannons in their own AT squads and give the grunts the reins to do what the need to do (unfortunately that often includes dying horribly).

Demolishers are excellent vehicles if you are planning on taking the preliminary bombardment and siege shells strategems as they give you great opportunities to bring huge amounts of masonry down on the heads of your opponents squads. However, the demolisher cannon does not ignore cover saves, meaning that at least half of what you hit with them in COD (as buildings, rubble and barricades are so predominate) will survive. As I said earlier, I would replace one of my Demolishers with a Hellhound if I had the model.

Anyway, your list is solid, and the doctrines are good  I wish you much luck and success with your Vostroyans, and I hope this rambling diatribe has given you some ideas.
"It is well that war is so terrible, we should become too fond of it" - R.E. Lee

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:54:42 PM »
I see, perhaps used the saved points from the HSO to buy flamers for the platoon command section. Fair enough on keeping the cross if you rate it, its a matter of personal taste as fair as that goes.

The flamers are a simple enough addition.  Done.  As for the Cross, I'll have to give it a try and see if it works for me.  In most discussions about IG wargear, the Cross get's a 'neutral' rating as it really depends on the player's tactical ability to use the Cross that determines if it's worth it's points or not.

In an infantry heavy list like you have I'd almost be tempted with a powerfist wielding commissar, trouble is every time I write one into a list I can't but help considering I'd prefer another unit of guys for the points.

Unfortunately the only way I could get a Commissar into a useful unit (the Hardened Veterans) would be to spend a doctrine point for the Independent Commissars doctrine.  I do not have a free doctrine point.

If you've no intention of playing outside of cityfight or terrain light cityfight boards then you're right to stay with the flamers on the vets. I still feel its a bit of a waste of that wonderful BS4 not to have a shooting gun. With three special weapons choices you can afford to spread the bets a bit, one melta or grenade launcher here and there could go a long way when the chips are down.

Initially I'm going for strictly a Cities of Death list, but I may change it around some.

I'd also reflect the guys on dakka saying that if you're running for an assualt its really worthwhlie trying to get hold of shotguns or laspistol & combatweapon. Not sure on the actual mechanics but it might not be that hard a conversion job from the big wooden lasguns.

Maybe some day they'll expand the Vostroyan range, but as it is right now I'm limiting myself almost exclusively to existing models.  I don't have the time, patience or skill to do conversions at this point.

Lascannons for Autocannons? Wouldn't do it if I where you, not least that  lascannons instant kill things like oblitorators which are really annoying to deal with otherwise. I'd almost be tempted to shift the other way and swap a heavy bolter squad to autocannons. Maybe thats one to leave until you see how the current configuration does.

Yes.  It wasn't really a serious thought on my part.  Just something I'd though I'd throw out for consideration.

I prefer to have Autocannons over Heavy Bolters in my Fire Support squads, but that is mostly a personal opinion and how my army operates. Heavy Weapon squads also shine in COD, and having Carapace will guarantee you a save against most weapons, as most weapons that ignore cover (flamers, airbursting frag projectors, etc) don't have the ap to ignore armor value 4. Put your Fire Support in buildings spread out over different levels and they should last well into the game.

By buying the squad boxes, I'll have the heavy bolter squads.  To use autocannons, I would have to purchase the lascannon teams for the proper models.  Therefore in order to keep the initial cost down, I'll stick to the heavy bolters for now.

Again, my personal preference rises. Lascannons in infantry squads is fine in regualr 40k games. In COD you MUST move forward. This means your infantry. Putting your Lascannons into Anti-tank squads (with sharpshooters) would be my choice here instead of in the grunt platoons. Grunt Platoons (no offence to any grunts, I've been one), will in most of the COD missions be needed to move forward and help grab key buildings. You don't want to waste any turns firing with your heavy hitters, so I put the Lascannons in their own AT squads and give the grunts the reins to do what the need to do (unfortunately that often includes dying horribly).

Again, that is what the Hardened Veterans are for.  With them and the Platoon Command Squads I have four units that can move forward (although two of them only consist of five models).  The platoons are to provide covering fire.

Demolishers are excellent vehicles if you are planning on taking the preliminary bombardment and siege shells strategems as they give you great opportunities to bring huge amounts of masonry down on the heads of your opponents squads. However, the demolisher cannon does not ignore cover saves, meaning that at least half of what you hit with them in COD (as buildings, rubble and barricades are so predominate) will survive. As I said earlier, I would replace one of my Demolishers with a Hellhound if I had the model.

As of right now, I have both a Hellhound and Demolisher.  I'll have to see if one is more effective than the other before I make another purchase.

So, by dropping the extraneous wargear on the HSO and adding two flamers in each Platoon Command Squad I still have 67 points remaining.  Any suggestions on what to spend it on?  I had considered adding an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor as being fluffy, but I'm open to any suggestions.
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 02:03:56 AM »
Regarding the background side of things: Are you sure you want to keep the regimental standard? It doesn't make much sense in a company level force. Unless your HSO represents the colonel himself who's come to the frontline to show his officers how it's done. The HSO could instead be an extraordinary company captain. In which case a company standard would make more sense.

Nearly as importantly, regimental standards aren't so great because the difference in scores between Imperial Guard and its assault opponents tends to be greater than one.

So, by dropping the extraneous wargear on the HSO and adding two flamers in each Platoon Command Squad I still have 67 points remaining.  Any suggestions on what to spend it on?  I had considered adding an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor as being fluffy, but I'm open to any suggestions.

You may want to consider a minimum-sized squad of Inquisitorial storm troopers with shotguns and flamers/meltas to act in support of your veterans. And since Troops deploy first in Cities of Death, you have the added benefit of being able to postpone the point where you have to commit your platoons.

Speaking of the veterans, they'll be taking so many casualties and morale checks that TM items for the veteran sergeants would be invaluable. Even an unmodified leadership of 8 leaves things to be desired without a re-roll.

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 01:35:52 AM »
After some thought, I've gone and done what everybody does when they can't fit everything they want into their roster -- I added an extra 150 points ::)  I still didn't get that extra Demolisher though.  Anyway, here's the updated list:

VOSTROYAN FIRSTBORN IX
2,000 Pts - Imperial Guard Roster

++DOCTRINES++

Special Equipment: Carapace Armor
Skills and Drills: Die-Hards
Skills and Drills: Iron Discipline
Skills and Drills: Sharpshooters
Skills and Drills: Veterans

++HQ++

Command Platoon @ 404 Pts

Heroic Senior Officer @ 87 Pts
     Laspistol; Power Weapon; Die-Hards; Iron Discipline
     Bionics; Surveyor

4 Guardsmen @ 38 Pts
     Lasgun (x2); Grenade Launcher (x2); Standard Bearer

Sentinel Squadron @ 45 Pts
     Multilaser

Inquisitor Lord @ 145 Pts
     Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon
     Hexagrammic Wards; Liber Heresius; Psychic Hood; Surveyor
     Psychic Powers: Purgatus; Word of the Emperor

Inquisitor's Retinue
     Sage
     Familiar (x2)

++ELITES++

3 Death Cult Assassins @ 120 Pts

Veteran Sergeant @ 37 Pts
     Laspistol; Power Fist; Frag Grenades; Surveyor; Die-Hards

Veteran Sergeant @ 37 Pts
     Laspistol; Power Fist; Frag Grenades; Surveyor; Die-Hards

++TROOPS++

Infantry Platoon @ 307 Pts

Command Squad @ 77 Pts
     Junior Officer @ 45 Pts
     4 Guardsmen
     Lasgun (x2); Flamer (x2)

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

Infantry Platoon @ 307 Pts

Command Squad @ 77 Pts
     Junior Officer @ 45 Pts
     4 Guardsmen
     Lasgun (x4)

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

Infantry Squad @ 115 Pts
     Sergeant @ 6 Pts
     Laspistol & CCW

++FAST ATTACK++

Hellhound @ 132 Pts
     Inferno Cannon; Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter
     Pintle Heavy Stubber

Multilaser

Multilaser

++HEAVY SUPPORT++

Leman Russ Demolisher @ 175 Pts
     Demolisher Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter; Sponson Heavy Bolters
     Extra Armour

Total Roster Cost: 2,000 points

It's definitely fluffy, but how does it rank in effectiveness?  I play so rarely that I'm okay with a list that's not optimized, but I do want to be somewhat competitive and not let my opponent's walk all over me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 01:37:01 AM by Ghazhkull Thraka »
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline Aden

• Humanity at it's worst
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 02:15:28 AM »
The HSO is good, the bionics are very expensive for something that only works one in six battles (and that is assuming he dies), but as you said it's for fluff.
Two grenade launchers is good, it keeps your HQ mobile and nice and far away from things while still doing damage. You might want to find points for another one in this squad, you can never have enough grenade launchers.

Sentinels are all good, I rather give them autocannons because of their versatility, but multilasers are good. I see you got rid of the RTM too, that's good, I was all like  ??? when you put an RTM on a walker.

I'm not a fan of allying Guard with things, but whatever. I don't know what it is that guy does, but it sounds nasty.

I don't like your Veteran squads either, I would really suggest you swap them for some Ogryns if you want a good close-up squad. Ogryns are perhaps the unit most suited to city battles in the whole game.
But you have those veterans for fluff reasons I just realized. I advise that you take away the powerfists and give the veterans meltaguns or grenade launchers, veterans are great for close-quarters firefights but they really aren't great for CC.

Infantry are as usual. Only thing is I don't think you need those veterans. If you really want to keep them you might as well invest one point into some boltguns or bolt pistols.

Demolishers are good for either lots of big guns, or an assault vehicle. You are obviously using yours as an assault vehicle. I advise that you give it sponson flamers instead of sponson bolters, you'll probably only get to fire them twice in a battle, but when you do you'll auto-hit about 8 models and ignore cover saves.

Uh, yeah. There you go.

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 02:48:37 PM »
... the bionics are very expensive for something that only works one in six battles...

They're only five points.  Do you have a better suggestion to spend the five points on?

I don't like your Veteran squads either, I would really suggest you swap them for some Ogryns...

Ogryns are slow, expensive, can't infiltrate, don't have flamers for rooting the enemy out of the city ruins and definitely are not fluffy in a Vostroyan army.
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 04:01:10 PM »
They're only five points.  Do you have a better suggestion to spend the five points on?

"Half a TM item" does come to mind, but you could drop points elsewhere if you're sold on the bionics. I really cannot overemphasize the utility of TM items on hardened veteran sergeants. Barring freak events like Vindicare snipers and torrent of fire, that re-roll will benefit your squad until the very last. A morale check on leadership 8 has a 72% chance of succeeding. The same morale check on leadership 8 with a re-roll has a 92% chance of succeeding. The veterans *will* be taking casualties. Lots of them in fact, and the resultant morale checks can really hurt you as your plan hinges on the vets sticking around and fighting to the last.

Having the death cultists and command squads acting in support of the veterans sounds like a good idea to me. The points cost or equipment options of second platoon's command squad seem erroneous however.

What's your plan with the Inquisitor? The psychic hood, small squad size and Purgatus are appropriate upgrades for a small hide 'n seek unit. The power weapon and Word of the Emperor are more befitting of a frontline assault unit. In any case, I'd remove the surveyor. It's of no use to a unit exclusively armed with pistol weapons.