News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: noobie questions on AoS  (Read 1697 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
noobie questions on AoS
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:52:39 PM »
so I'm taking a peak under the covers for AoS and it looks like there is no army makes criteria and no real restriction on what you can take and no point costs? If that's correct, how do you have a somewhat balanced game?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: noobie questions on AoS
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:15:42 AM »
There is points, army composition and restrictions. It's all in the generals handbook.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:23:03 AM »
There is points, army composition and restrictions. It's all in the generals handbook.
All of which can be seen here:
http://scrollbuilder.com/

The book contains some scenarios, artifacts, army wide bonuses etc., but IMO you can go by without them and just make them up on the go.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
thanks guys.

So there seems to be a collection of "battalions", Sylvaneth call them Wargroves. They all have a single Battlalion as a pre-requisit. For example the Gnarlroot wargrove has to have 1 household battalion.

Does the points for the wargrove include the points for the first battalion or are they all cumulative?

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Every battalion is cumulative. Also, I would not base all your information off of scrollbuilder.com. It doesn't make clear what the restrictions on game sizes are, or what units are general battle line and which are specific for allegiance.

All points for all units are in the Generals Handbook, and the matched play missions are very well balanced. The book is fairly cheap. If you're going to play Age of Sigmar, I highly encourage buying the book.

All the unit warscrolls are available for free on the GW website, or in the Age of Sigmar App.

You'll need the battletomes for the specific rules for battalions. The battletomes are not too expensive either. The Sylveneth book, and all books released afterwards are full of all the good allegence abilities and spells and such, which are unique to that faction.

Wargroves are a special king of battalion, which require you to take specific warscroll battalions as compulsory and axillary to field them. You pay points for each Battalion yo take, but every battalion you take, gives you some fun rules and an extra artifact for free.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
yeah just trying to get my head around the game before I commit $$ to it, the new models prices almost make 40k look cheap lol :)

It looks like a wargrove+the mandatory battalion = a basic squad worth of points, so I guess these are only worth while in larger matches? say over 1000 points?

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »
For 1000pts, you're not going to have enough points for a lot of options. The battalion bonuses can be good. I'm not sure what the sylveneth bonuses are however.

If you get the getting started box, and the box they released at Christmas, you're probably close to 2000pts with those alone. Good deals in those boxes as well.

I plan my army on the missions in the generals handbook, which are pretty varried and require some forthought when constructing your force.

I play khorne Bloodbound and khorne Daemons and I don't have the points for any battalions in 1000pts for much more then my battleline troops, a couple of heroes and a supporting unit or two.

You'll find that points add up really quick in Age of Sigmar, and you don't need to buy a whole lot to get to a 1000 or 2000pt army. Especially with sylvaneth, where your models are very expensive (but powerful).
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
cheers, I took a peak at those packages, but the battleforces have all been sold out except for Khorne and the basic starter bundles.

I was looking at the wargroves as a rough guide on what to guild up to.

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:08:32 PM »
I'm not sure what's in the Wargrove, so I cannot really help you there. You'll need to get a copy of the Battalion rules. Either from the Age of Sigmar app, or the Battletome. The Getting Started box would be your best bet to start. You basically get the Dryad unit for free. For sure you'll need a treeman, hero and Dryads no matter what you do.

Some missions require you to have 5 or more models to hold objectives, so units like Dryads are invaluable. They can take some causalities, and still hold down the fort, while your bigger stuff tries to Jam up your opponents objective(s).

Sylvaneth have a lot of tricks up their sleeves, when you play a pure sylveneth army. They can be crazy mobile by teleporting between forests.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:39 AM »
Every battalion is cumulative. Also, I would not base all your information off of scrollbuilder.com. It doesn't make clear what the restrictions on game sizes are, or what units are general battle line and which are specific for allegiance.
It does - they are listed right below the "Select an Army" tab.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »
so I managed to get a peak at the Sylvaneth book, seem they have a list of spells not listed on their warscrolls that their wizards can take. Is there Another list of spells like this for other armies like High Elves?

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »
so I managed to get a peak at the Sylvaneth book, seem they have a list of spells not listed on their warscrolls that their wizards can take. Is there Another list of spells like this for other armies like High Elves?

Just for Sylveneth, and battletomes which came out after the Generals Handbook. Bonesplittas, Beastclaw Raiders, and now Disciples of Tzeentch. Other factions will get the same treatment when it gets around to them.

The thing with the spells and such, is that they force you to play an army with that factions 'allegenence', which prevents you from taking any warscrolls without that keyword. So, you get some fancy artifacts and such, but a more limited selection of models.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria