News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Yellan Eldar Craftworld + Empire  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Craftworlds_Voice

• Newest
Yellan Eldar Craftworld + Empire
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:48:19 PM »
Hi everyone ! I'm new to this forum and would like to open a painting blog, where I will throw some pictures of my two armies :

1. Fantasy Empire - Im going to paint this army from the roots.

2. 40k Eldar - In my own colour scheme

My current problem is to find a proper colour for the bases of my empire soldiers. Maybe you can help me out ;) .. any suggestions are welcome (especially with photos).

So thats the first miniature I've painted for my new empire:

And here pics of my storm guardian unit (with warlock and two objective counters):

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

Re: Yellan Eldar Craftworld + Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
Well, about your basing issue, what kind of boards do you usually play on? My Eldar uses sandcovered bases that are painted black and then dry-brushed with codex gray and fortress gray. Gives an impression of a rubble strewn city fight.

On your Eldar, I think you've got a very nice bone/white/cream colour going. However, I'd like to see more contrast, maybe a red or a green in there. The brown/yellow is too similar and it looks a bit plain. I'd like to see more of the red you have on the hair and such on the weapons, perhaps with a little black?

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »
On your Eldar, I think you've got a very nice bone/white/cream colour going. However, I'd like to see more contrast, maybe a red or a green in there. The brown/yellow is too similar and it looks a bit plain. I'd like to see more of the red you have on the hair and such on the weapons, perhaps with a little black?

I disagree with this. At the moment you have a very nice, subtle finish. I think that too often we throw colour at a mini, but in this case the muted palette works very well. Excellent paint job on both WHFB and 40k minis so far, I look forward to seeing more of your work!

As for the Greatsword base, simply doing the rolling fields of the Empire might work nicely, nice greens from static grass would enliven the model quite a bit.

If I'm honest, I actually think what makes the Eldar look drab in the eyes of DarkstormUlthwe might be the base, as it's a lot of brown down there. As this matches the brown on the minis, it does give a very 'brown' theme. Either cityfight type bases, or even lush maiden world type greens would do enough to contrast a bit with your Eldar and give definition and separation from the mini.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline -Lazuli-

• Lazuli Painting
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
Well, about your basing issue, what kind of boards do you usually play on? My Eldar uses sandcovered bases that are painted black and then dry-brushed with codex gray and fortress gray. Gives an impression of a rubble strewn city fight.

I don't agree either. The scheme is great as it is and the red is already there (gems). The bases are well done but the yellow static grass from GW will work.