News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How do you plan to deal with new TAU?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Lord Laharl

• "Why? you ask... Why not?"
How do you plan to deal with new TAU?
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:37:56 AM »
Hey guys,

Having read the new TAU codex I can see that we're having some serious issues to deal with them, so I wanted to know as the title says: how do you plan to deal with them?

Best  point I see on the new tau codex for us is that there will be no auto pen for broadsides anymore, but still, most of it's weaponry is 30" or more, so our nightshield(wih got nerfed to begin with on 6th) are less that useless.

Assaulting would always be the way to go against TAU, but high S weaponry and support fire seems to make it even more difficult than before.

Hope to have a lot of feedback so we all together can harvest some more pain from this blue guys.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: How do you plan to deal with new TAU?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »
I plan to fight them just like I fight the imperial guard.  I plan to roll a flank using an assault element of two wyche squads and an archon with grotesques.  ( I play 1850 and 2000 most of the times) My ravagers and razorwing will be used to take down riptides and hammerheads (the ionhead is going to be a huge pain). If you assault an element from the side away from anyone that can support them you should be able to reduce their ability to rapid fire during their supporting overwatch. You'll just need to measure before you roll your assault dice.

Wyches -----> fire Warriors xxxxx Fire warriors

I may have to start running larger wyche squads going for 8 or 9 instead of 6 or 7. I'm more concerned with their defensive grenades than I am with their overwatch.  Tau will still die extremely quickly and are not the most mobile army but they can scoot.  Take out their overpriced troop carriers and and watch them struggle to hold objectives. 
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:37:24 AM »
its going to be hard playing against them, thats for sure. i dont think outshooting them is going to win the game lol. im thinking whyches in raiders, sails and haemi's for pain tokens. keep them cheap you will not need much to beat them in combat. spam that hopefully make it there lol.

dark lances will own their crisis suits, if they are stupid enough to be in the open. broadsides will eat anything at range so night shileds wont save you haha. and that ridtide screams huskblade!!! funny thing is, its not fearless lol so can be run down :P.

reavers will do well i think, especially with blasters and aiming for the broadsides to insta kill. i would even assault them to hold them up in combat.

so basically its like facing any gunline army, get there fast! have multiple targets and hope for the best with your jink saves!!!
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
My biggest concern with the new Tau is the fact that markerlights can remove cover saves.  Because our saves are so poor and our skimmers are made of paper, using cover and moving skimmers are our key survival tactics.  I can see this being a real problem for Reavers.

Nevertheless, I think my tactics will be pretty much the same as ever - use my manouvrability to get in close and overwhelm isolated parts of their line.  Once you're in among them their own units will start to obscure line of sight, and by carefully picking on exposed units you should be able to limit the advantage they get from supporting overwatch.  Best way to deal with a Riptide has got to be locking it in close combat.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
This thread may help a little in regards to markerlights and vehicles. Not the marker hit itself but what may be done with it.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »
This thread may help a little in regards to markerlights and vehicles. Not the marker hit itself but what may be done with it.
Not sure whether that helps or just muddies the waters  ;)
I think the majority conclusion of the thread is that vehicles are immune to the effects of the "Ignores Cover" Universal Special Rule, which various Tau units/weapons can access by various means.  Our troops and jetbikes are still going to feel the pain though  :-\

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
It's a start though. In case someone tries to play silly buggers against a Raider.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.