News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pt fast attack army  (Read 1118 times)

Offline confirehalo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1000pt fast attack army
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »
Hi guys, I was wondering what you would suggest for an air based army against tau.  I am thinking mainly vendettas with embarked veterans.  The veterans would have two melta-guns and and a heavy flamer so that they could deal with both battle suits and infantry. I am open to an suggestions you may have.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 1000pt fast attack army
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »
Just so you realize, you'll likley only have 3, maybe 4 airbourne units in your force, up against an enemy that will blow you out of the sky with any number of high strength shootyness. Plus you won't have anything to take or hold an objective.

This isn't directed at just yourself, but I have a hard time understanding any attempt at an "Air Cav" army at low points. You'll be playing a guard army with 3 mid armour vehicles and 35 or 40 easily slain guardsmen, up against perhaps the shootiest of all opponents.

At least with Chimeras you could afford 5 or 6 "Vets in Transports" units, with some points left over. And smoke launchers to get you there. And Heavy Flamers on the hulls. And then mobile walls to block LOS...

Offline confirehalo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
What about using the 1 or 2 vendettas to take out his broadsides or hammerheads and the rest of my troops embarked in chimeras.  I am mainly wanting a unit that can easily take out his broadside teams.

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:26:49 PM »
A unit that can easily take out broadsides.....marb o.

Sigh has much as i hate saying a SC marbo can do the job cheaply and effectively. Other then that i would say keep the vends in back for range AT, and use valks with melta vets.

Other options are the vanquisher leman russ but its expensive and iffy.

A lascannon HWS which is still an iffy choice in a mech list.

A deep  striking stormtrooper squad with 2 meltas can do it too.

It all depends on how long you want the unit to live for.
There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present".