News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57440 times)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar)
« Reply #40 on: April 7, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
yes, he should've started a lot more on the table - at least the zoanthropes (which can shoot their psychic powers and still run after, making them faster than they seem) and the gargoyles, who can then put early pressure on. Tervigons are a lot more expensive than they used to be, and generally not considered a top-tier buy anymore, especially if you don't get them into a troop slot and don't use a formation with objective secured.
But yes, eldar firepower is scary, and he should be mindful of that.
other than that... yes, the tyranids aren't very powerful at the moment apart from some standard must-buys (flyrants with double devourers, anyone?), so he might be facing an uphill battle now compared to 5th.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #41 on: April 7, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
He was most certainly getting more discouraged as the game went on. Last time we played his nids against my eldar was just when 6th edition dropped and I was using the previous editions codex still, so he was used to taking me to school back then. He insisted on playing my eldar, even though I warned him that they were a top tier force now. Even with that list he could have done a lot better, as you suggested. Start everything on the board and focus on what would hurt you the most. Focusing on my banshees and avatar really didn't help him, as well as over prioritizing the reapers. I hope it wasn't to upsetting, as I'd love to have a rematch using my orks or chaos.

I've got a Slannesh versus my Nurgle game lined up for Saturday night. I'll post a recap as soon as I can.

Also working on a ton of scenery and after the Dire Avengers performance last game, I'm finally finishing up the last squad. Photos coming soon.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
So I had our second chaos versus chaos game last night and had a lot of fun. This was my opponent's second 40k game since the 90's, so it was slower paced with lots of instruction and questions, but we had a great time. A few full flubs, but thats always to be expected. We took our 1000 point lists from the first game and went up to 1200 points for this round. Next month will be 1500 points.

My list
Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Power Weapon

Helbrute Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, powerfist

Plague Marines x 8 w/ x 2 plasma + champion w/ power weapon
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Plague Marines x 9 w/ x 2 plasma + champion w/ combi-flamer, power weapon
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 1

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x 1

His list

Noise lord with doom siren, power weapon

Noise Marines, sonic blasters x 8, blastmaster, champion plasma pistol and power weapon
Noise Marines, sonic blasters x 8, blastmaster, champion power fist

Possessed x10

bikes x3 with x2 melta

Obliterator x1
Obliterator x1
Obliterator x1

We played table halves to keep it simple and went for kill points.

Slannesh setup noise marines mid table and in the ruins on the right. The obliterators deployed on the second level of the ruins. The bikers hid behind LOS terrain in the center of the board and the possessed hid behind a hill on the left of the DZ.

I setup my rhinos on either side of a LOS wall with the helbrute behind the terrain. The spawn were in the open field at the edge of the DZ and set to move up the board quickly.

He rolled to go first and unleashed into my spawn. Obliterators and two blastmasters used their assault cannons to decimate two of the spawn, leaving the third untouched. The possessed moved up the field.

My turn saw me advance up the field and fire my havoc launchers, killing a few noise marines, the last spawn moved in closer.

My opponent next used his obliterator's lascannons to explode the rhino that was holding my lord, in which my lord took a wound and I lost a plasma gunner. The possessed attempted a charge, but failed. The noise marines kill the last spawn.

My plague marines moved aside for my helbrute that marched up and melta'd one of the possessed in the face. The unloaded plague marines then fired into the possessed and killed all but 4. Two of my obliterators deepstruck, one mishaps and goes into ongoing reserves. My havoc launchers and the one obliterator unloaded into a squad of noise marines and killed all but 4.

This turn sees his bikers move up next to the possessed with the possessed, who also happen to have his noise lord with him, choose to charge my plague marines. The bikes fire into the helbrute with their melta to no avail. One of the obliterators fires a multimelta into my last rhino and explodes it, sending out my troops. The last two fire a plasma cannons into my plague marines killing 3. The other fires a multi melta. The largest noise marines annihilate the lone obliterator and the small squad fails to damage the plague marines. The possessed and lord charge my plague marines. His lord
challenges and my champion excepts. They trade blows with no damage. My lord and the rest of the marines kill off three possessed and his possessed fail to cause any damage.

The next turn sees my plague marines fire plasma into an obliterator and cause a
wound. At this point I forget about the instant death rule for the double strength, which occurs three more times this game and we only realize this at the end of the game. My other two obliterators come in and use their plasma to pick off three more noise marines. The helbrute fires heavy flamer and multimelta into bikes and kills one. He charges and makes it. He kills them and they fail to damage him with krak grenades. The plague marines overrun his noise lord and possessed.

His noise marines target one of my obliterators and cause a single wound. His obliterators fire lascannons into my helbrute and he rolls three ones for his to hit!

The following turn I assault the noise marine squads one each with an obliterator. The
one makes it, but the wounded one is removed from an overwatch shot from a plasma pistol from his champion. My plague marines fire plasma into the obliterator, removing a wound and my helbrute uses his multimelta to injure another one. At this point they should all be dead, but I'll have to remember instant death next time.

The noise marines last another two rounds in close combat with my last obliterator before being killed and my two plague marines charge the noise marines only to be killed before even causing a hit. His obliterators use multimeltas and explode my helbrute. This leaves his 4 noise marines and three wounded obliterators against my relatively
unharmed plague marine squad, plague lord and a wounded obliterator. We call the game at this point and technically he won as he got first blood and 7 kill points, but if we called the obliterators as dead it would have been 7 kill points for me and
warlord, so we called it a tie.

It was a really fun game, with nothing over-powered that fully dominated the board. Our next game escalates to 1500 points and we are going to add psykers to both lists. I'm either taking nurgle bikers and a biker sorcerer or nurgle terminators and a terminator sorcerer. He's planning on adding some Thousand Sons to the list to hopefully decimate me with sonic blasts and inferno bolts. Should be a good time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:37:21 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2016, 04:57:15 AM »
Thanks for the report :).  It was definitely a very close game and it looked like a lot of fun to be involved in.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Thousand Sons combined with the forces of Slaanesh, as Slaanesh and Tzeentch is an enjoyable combination to field, in my opinion.  It will also be interesting to see whether you opt for the bikes or Terminators.  Neither unit ever used to work that well for me, but I'd say that the bikes would combine well with the more mobile element of your force, so opting for those might be best.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 09:54:59 PM »
Thanks Irisado, I can't wait to see some Thousand Sons as well. I hope he starts painting up his army from what I've seen of his other miniatures, he's an awesome painter. Very old school with his blends and ink use. No washes for this guy.

Sorry for the gap in updates, work always gets in the way and, as usually, I have too many 40k projects on the go. I finally finished my third units of dire avengers, which allows me to have a fully painted avenger shrine. Each squad has ten aspect warriors and an exarch, allowing me to run a full unit of vanilla aspects or swap the exarch in depending on the list. Being my third unit of avengers the quality of the paint job is hands above the other two. The first two were actually the very first eldar units I began painting several years ago. Still holding off on the banners and any final tweaks, as I need a steadier hand after the marathon of painting.

With the avengers out of the way I'm preparing for our next chaos match up. I was planning on swapping the lord with a sorcerer and then switching the plague marines to chaos marines with a mark or nurgle (a suggestion I took from Wyddr's Batreps) and then mounting him on a bike with other bikers or terminator armour with other terminators. With all the sonic weapons and inferno bolts coming my way next game, I've decided to go terminator armour.

It's going to be a few days of stripping and cleaning, as I'm redoing all my old Slannesh terminators and salvaging some awesome eBay finds, but they've been soaking in Simple Green for more than a week now, so I should have some of the models put together with conversions up on the forum soon.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:36:17 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 05:05:48 AM »
Those Dire Avengers are superb.  The bases are a very nice touch as well, as the red makes a great contrast to the blue and white, while also matching the spiritstone on the Exarch.  I look forward to seeing how the banner turns out :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 06:44:21 AM »
Oh hell yeah! Looking good DoW. You've got an entire shrine up and running. Very nice paint jobs and the color choices are nice too. I really prefer the bone shuriken catapults to the black when Avengers are painted in this style. Very nice work.

Just so you know the Avenger Shrine is BEASTLY. You can melt anything with a toughness value with these guys when they let off their triple shot.

Great stuff DoW keep us posted!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
Just a short update today. I've been working on my terminators and got them all cleaned and put together. There's still going to be a whole bunch of green stuff added and battle damage done before we go to prime, but I thought I'd show you some progress. I've also acquired a Typhus that I'm going to run as a vanilla sorcerer in terminator armour for now. All four spawn are base coated, so I should be able to get them done by the end of the week.

The next game we have planned is 1500 points, but I'm stuck at the 1400 point level and unsure what to add. I've toyed with a small unit of plasma bikes or autocannon havocs. I could throw a lascannon predator in there as well or another helbrute. Any thoughts?

Chaos Sorcerer Mastery Level 2, Terminator Armour (110)

Helbrute Plasma Cannon (115)

Mark of Nurgle Terminators x 4 w/ x2 pair of lightning claws, x1 combi-melta + power axe, x1 heavy flamer + power maul + champion w/ power fist, combi-melta

Mark of Nurgle Marines x 9 w/ x2 plasma + champion w/ power weapon Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Mark of Nurgle Marines x 9 w/ x2 plasma + champion w/ power weapon
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher

Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2
Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x2
Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x2

[1400]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:30:42 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 04:43:12 AM »
it kinda depends on what you feel you need. Autocannon havocs are great for light-vehicle hunting, as well as medium infantry (like tau or eldar), while a hellbrute has a role more oriented to heavy infantry (if you keep the plasma cannon). A predator, I feel, is not worth the investment with just one lascannon shot a turn. Ideally, it has lascannon sponsons and an autocannon turret, but I don't know if that fits in your points.

Also: great to see progress!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »
Great stuff DoW. Like the posing on these guys a lot. As for your list I'd go with the Bikes all day. Good shooting, good assault, tough and fast. They can run alongside the Spawn too giving them fire support as they move into their target. Plus with your Termies theoretically deep striking in, you can have a sort of 3 pronged, high speed attack on high priority targets. 

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #50 on: May 3, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
Alrighty, added 3 bikers to the list with 2 plasma guns for an even 100 points. I'm going to try and setup a game in the next two weeks and I'll let you know the results.

First spawn completed. He looks a little muddy in the photo, but I'm pretty pleased with all the colour variations in the skin tones. This was a job of alternating between highlighting and washing over and over again and was really an experiment into what I could accomplish without using any actual flesh tone coloured GW paints. I did use a cheap crafter's flesh tone paint I picked up at the Dollar Store to do a very rough pinkish base coat, but after that it was a mixture of 50% Athonian Camoshade and 50% water applied between highlights of the old rotting flesh. Okay, so I did use a flesh tone from the 90's paint line, but it is really a green and not a pink.  ::) The bug eyes I think turned out well and hopefully portray the compound eyes I was trying for. On to #2!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:29:43 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #51 on: May 4, 2016, 07:18:59 AM »
HELL YEAH! Wow this is AWESOME DoW! Absolutley grotesque... where did you get that head? Wow great paint job too. Excellent excellent stuff.

Good luck in your game BTW let us know how the bikes did! Keep us posted bud, this is truly excellent stuff.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #52 on: May 4, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
Thanks Cav! The head is one of the ones included in the kit, definitely my favourite. Since I got two kits, I was able to double up on the wings. I'm really getting antsy with with my decision to wait and base everything at once. I really want to appreciate the models and they're never really done until based. I'm torn between doing my traditional black with black gravel and dead grass, as seen with the terminators or try something new with ice and snow set on a blue base.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #53 on: May 4, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
I feel you bro. On the bases though I HIGHLY recommend keeping with the same basing scheme. Its one of the keys to keep your forces unified. I've heard from people who've done multiple armies with different basing schemes and most have regretted it.

But man I did a Space Wolf commission the other week and I did snow bases.... damn did they look good. I was trying every which way to justify adding snow to my Eldar bases especially after seeing how cool they looked on a snow mat. In the end though I'm glad I didn't change the look of my bases.

But hey its your army bud thats just my 2cents!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #54 on: May 4, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
I was going to strip the terminator bases before I primed anyways and I am most definitely going the same bases throughout. I am really leaning toward the snow and ice theme as a juxtaposition to my elder lava bases. Did you have a photo of those commissions? I'd love some tips on doing some snow bases to try out.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #55 on: May 5, 2016, 07:08:41 AM »
Hey bud that sounds like a plan. The snow bases are ULTRA easy. The GW snow flock is like 8 bucks for an awesome tub that should flock an entire army. What I did was paint the bases Celestra Grey but keep the rocks black for contrast. If you put a little snow on top of the rocks it looks great.

This is only a tabletop standard comission so its not super fancy, but it still looks nice.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #56 on: May 5, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »
You can always use crushed glass from secret weapon miniatures. It looks great.

Masterclass Scenics: Crushed Glass Bundle - .00 : Secret Weapon Miniatures

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #57 on: May 7, 2016, 10:57:23 PM »
You both have inspired me to run with a snow base and it's about time I actually committed with something, as the army is already half painted. Finished the second spawn, as well and I've ended up basing both. Went a little more green and slightly darker than the last. Each spawn will be along the same colour palette. but I'm definitely going to be playing with the shading to give them a unique appearance. I usually love painting the edge of the base and in this case I did an overall undercoat of Shadow Gray that I left on the base's edge. I'm not totally sold on it and I might go back to just a solid black, but that's an easy change and I'll just have to try and get a feel for how the army looks on the tabletop once complete. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:28:55 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #58 on: May 8, 2016, 07:01:22 AM »
Hey DoW love the new spawn. Such a great kit. The paint jobs are really, really nice and I like the cool basing a lot. As for the grey bases I think I prefer black personally. It'll contrast really nice with the snow if you end up going in that direction. But anyway the models came out really nice. Keep it up man your armies are looking awesome

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
Last two spawn complete. I ended up adding more snow and going simply black on the base edge, as Cav suggested, and I think it does 'pop' the base better. Terminators are all modeled with green stuff and up to be primed, so their on the docket next. I've got a game against my fellow chaos opponent this coming Friday, so I'll let everyone know how Nurgle fairs against this new alliance between Slaanesh and Tzeentch.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:26:37 PM by dog_of_war »