News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 6th edition  (Read 33582 times)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
6th edition
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:15 AM »
The confirmation of what we've all known for the last month is up. 6th edition is inbound. Based on what can be seen from the teaser video, some changes will be as follows.

Flyers are part of the main rules, and seem to function alot like faster skimmers with limited maneuverability.

Vehicles now have 'wounds' designated Hull Points.

There are definately some rules regarding allies, which seems to be similar to the Allied Armies of Warhammer Fantasy.

We also have Psychic Mastery levels, rangning from 1-4, similar to the Magic levels of Fantasy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:27:09 AM by Lachdonin »
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Re: 6th edition
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:17:16 AM »
And a set of standard psychic powers, I presume, as they've released cards (like FB spell cards) on advance order.

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
Yes, its all on advance order.

Ooo, only $75 for the new rulebook!
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
[gmod]As a reminder, while we may get overly excited over the changes and new material, our rules on copyright remain. Discussing the material is fine but spilling all the beans certainly is not. It's not rumours anymore so overly detailed posts will be exterminated on sight without warning.[/gmod]

A quick $150 later and I think I'm covered for at the least the initial kick off. The collectors edition looked quite nice but there's no way it'd survive intact in my household for long.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
I really want the gamers edition, but I'm not sure that I should do it. The bag and dice box are just tat really and my so called limited edition book would be well and truly thumbed back and forth within a week or so.

But its pretty!  ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
Personally, I was really expecting to see a digital edition, which would have been a great alternative to lugging the heavy book around. Except that I don't have an iPad...

Back in the real world, I have advance-ordered myself a copy of the cheapest one. As nice as the other editions are, hobby money is limited, and I want more minis!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
The owner of my LGS was taking preorders a couple weeks ago and was offering 15% off for anyone that placed an order.  $86 after tax is much better than $101.

The gamer edition is kind of cool, the satchel wouldn't be bad for lugging around such a massive book, but yeah... just can't afford that stuff.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
 The guy from my local Nerd shop was selling the standard 6th book for $60USD (normally $75 USD) if we preorder before sunday. It appears a lot of smaller shops are following suit to try and make a lot of sales really fast.
This is another instance of good business to take advantage of the drop of 6th as most people grab it on impulse as they want the newest edition as fast as possible without thinking it over first.
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline Space Merlyn

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Pleidiol wyf
  • Armies: Eldar, Salamanders, 'Nids
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
Agree that the gamer's edition looks cool, but also equally agree that it's difficult to justify the extra outlay..

Just placed a pre-order for the rulebook and psychic cards with a UK site currently offering 16% discount. I choose the free delivery option - which was second class mail, so I'll probably be waiting a few extra days whilst the rest of you start digesting the changes   :(

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »
I think they beslubbered Up again. GW should have sold a Standard Copy (the basic huge one they have), a Plus Copy (their so called gamers edition), a Collectors Copy (what the have) and a Gamers Copy (paperback, black and white, just the rules - 100-ish pages, $25 CAN). Why? I consider myself a gamer more than a painter, modeler, collector, or fluff bunny, so I have absolutely no interest in the other 700(? 800?) pages of crap. I'll be waiting on the starter box, then ebaying a book out of that. Why do I want to haul around 10 ponds of book that is total useless outside the armchair?
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
Yes, I can't see why any sane person would want to lug that around. I was torn between the collectors and waiting for the box set- I could see no reason to get the normal slab sized one. In the end I went for the collectors- it is quite nice (I like nice books) and I had some spare cash left over from something else. I will pick on a small copy for gaming when it comes out.

Dice, templates, markers etc... don't think so, but the psychic cards look useful. However there is no rush to get them.

Offline THE Dwarf

• The one and true Ginger Dwarf
  • Armies: Space Marines; Salamanders  &   Eldar;
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
I think they beslubbered Up again. GW should have sold a Standard Copy (the basic huge one they have), a Plus Copy (their so called gamers edition), a Collectors Copy (what the have) and a Gamers Copy (paperback, black and white, just the rules - 100-ish pages, $25 CAN). Why? I consider myself a gamer more than a painter, modeler, collector, or fluff bunny, so I have absolutely no interest in the other 700(? 800?) pages of crap. I'll be waiting on the starter box, then ebaying a book out of that. Why do I want to haul around 10 ponds of book that is total useless outside the armchair?

If they did sell a 'Gamers Copy' of the rulebook as you mentioned in paper back
Not as many people would buy the boxed game - when it is realeased (September time I've heard)
As it would most likely just be the guys wanting the mini's that come in it, what ever race/army they will be
But yes, the big hard back is nice for the fluff but for lugging around and for gaming can be cumbersome
Especially when still getting grips and can't easily flick through the pages

Going back to what people are saying about pack's they have ordered
I treated my self to the Gamers Edition
I like the look of the satchel - I just hope the leather is good quality
THE Dwarf

BATTLES; W/L/D  -  Updated 13/12/2012
Space Marines; Salamanders - 38/14/9
Craftworld Eldar; Saim-Hann - 2/3/4
TOURNAMENTS
40k Doubles, Feb '12; L-L-D-W-W  -> Rank; 84/114
Immortal Warzone, Apr '12; L-L-W  -> Rank; 46/60
INVASION, Aug '12; W-W-L

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »
Personally, I was really expecting to see a digital edition, which would have been a great alternative to lugging the heavy book around.

Better to release a digital version later in the year, like September-October after the initial rush for hardbacks has been completed. That way you get the chance to double dip by capturing people who already have the hardback but now want carrying convenience. With the potential to include any FAQs and extra material releases post hardback release as well.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
I think they beslubbered Up again.

No they've been very clever. In order to get the rules you have to buy the big book, and later to get a small portable version you have to buy a starter set. Think of all the stuff they would not sell to you with your idea.

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
I really want the gamers edition, but I'm not sure that I should do it. The bag and dice box are just tat really and my so called limited edition book would be well and truly thumbed back and forth within a week or so.

But its pretty!  ;D

The book in the gamers edition is just a normal one rather than limited. It's the fancy bag and red dice that make it unique.

The collectors ed. is indeed so pretty. Wish I could justify the cost!

I think they beslubbered Up again. GW should have sold a Standard Copy

You don't get what GW are about- they want to promote the hobby as a whole rather than pigeon holing people- the book has everything because that is what the hobby is about.

Yes, I can't see why any sane person would want to lug that around.

Dice, templates, markers etc... don't think so, but the psychic cards look useful. However there is no rush to get them.

Fantasy 8th was such a pain to carry for the 2 months before IoB was released :S My hardbacks generally stay at home kept nice with the small ones fitting nicely in my cases :D

If the powers are good then the cards will be sweet- the Fantasy magic cards are a god-send!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
The book in the gamers edition is just a normal one rather than limited. It's the fancy bag and red dice that make it unique.

Which is why I went that route. The book has to be used and abused over the next few months and getting the collectors AND a regular rule book would have been asking for a good kicking from the Good Lady Wife.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
The confirmation of what we've all known for the last month is up. 6th edition is inbound. Based on what can be seen from the teaser video, some changes will be as follows.

Flyers are part of the main rules, and seem to function alot like faster skimmers with limited maneuverability.

Hmm actually, according to the teaser vid only Zooming flyers have that problem.
Most likely a lot of them will be zooming.

Anyone noticed the profile of the Icarus Lascannon? :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:29:41 PM by Zilverscale »

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
I'm all assighted, have my basic book paid for. Full price, $101 CA, but I'm entered into a sucker's draw. No one knows what the prize/s will be, not even the manager.

"Congratulations, here's a half-eaten balogna sandwich!"

"Is there mustard, at least?"

"No! Now get out of the store, and I'm keeping the sandwich!"

Offline Spiritwarroir

• Guardian
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
Well I know that waiting for digital copy makes more seance  for me.  I carry a tablet every ware.  So this digital copy makes my life much easier, I don't have to carry multiple books.  Now the idea of having the whole 40,000 data base at my finger tips is a reason to by more than just the books I use.
Now if they just put it out in the first release :-[

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

Hmm actually, according to the teaser vid only Zooming flyers have that problem.
Most likely a lot of them will be zooming.

Based on what i can remember from the view (watched it last night, too lazy to try to load it here) it states Flyer's use the 'Zooming' rules unless they are also capable of 'hovering', whatever that distinction ends up being.

Anyway, i know i've already pre ordered the Gamers edition. My brothers and i all went in on it, so it wasn't that bad an investment. Last time around i got the collectors edition, and frankly, this time i want a rule book i can actually use.

The whole marketing angle of this edition is, really, what we should all expect from GW at this point. If you want a rules-only pack, you're going to have to get the starter box when it comes out, and there are unlikely to be any army rules in the book, asside from an apendix we know will be included. This apendix, at least, will give every vehicle in the game X hull points (says so in the video).

I can't say i agree with the whole decision in terms of marketability, but it fits with GW's decision to focus on milking people who already play, rather than trying to draw in new gamers.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.