News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Instant Death Question ?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline PhelanBrachus

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Instant Death Question ?
« on: March 5, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »
This may sound like a stupid question but,

If you are hit with a weapon that is double your toughness you are supposedly instantly killed. I say supposedly because in the rule book there is a little confusion.

In the section on pg 27 (iirc)dealing with instant death it says that if you are hit with said weapon and you fail your save you are dead, in the next paragraph which is the "example" it says that if your Space Marine Commander is hit by a Krak missile (Str 8) he is auto killed because "he just isn't that tough." and has no mention of a save.

So the major question is "If the weapon is twice your toughness do you get a save or not?"
As AP is not mentioned at all only the matter of Str vs T.

The specific that brought the question up is the Ork Wyrdboys pyschic power Hand of Gork which has a Str 8 and an AP- Blast 1 which becomes pretty usless if apart from wounding easily every one still get their saving throw.

Phelan Brachus

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Re: Instant Death Question ?
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2005, 09:42:21 PM »
Krak Missiles don't allow Smurfs their saves.

Unless the Ap is the same or lower (I know, confusing aint it...) you get your save.

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2005, 09:54:03 PM »
All that happens is if you take a wound from double toughness weapons, you lose all your wounds instead of just one.  Everything in the process of taking that wound (rolling to hit, rolling to wound, and saving roll) remain unchanged.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
Look at it this way.  A warp spider shoots a skarab.  the deathspinner is double its toughness, but doesnt have an ap...so the skarab would gets its save and if it failed the entire base is removed.

or look at the example of archon peing hit by a psycannon.  the psycannon is double the strength of his toughness, and its AP is suffecient to punch through his armour, and since it ignores invulnerable saves as well the archon is killed without being allowed to roll a save.

so instant death has nothing to do with armour, the rules for the weapons and the AP of the weapon does how ever, matter.

oh, and this is added to FPT.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2005, 12:31:22 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2005, 12:26:56 PM »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2005, 12:32:48 PM »
FPT = Frequently Posted Threads.

basically, at the top of this forum, there is a sticky that has an index of the most frequent threads that we see and it answer a lot of questions without wasting time.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php/topic,61411.0.html
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline ASUSunDevil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »

or look at the example of archon peing hit by a psycannon.  the psycannon is double the strength of his toughness, and its AP is suffecient to punch through his armour, and since it ignores invulnerable saves as well the archon is killed without being allowed to roll a save.

Except cover save right? if he is in cover?

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Again, a model gets whatever saves it is allowed to take, the hit just kills the model regardless of how many wounds it has if the fail is saved. 

So, if the model gets a cover save, it gets a cover save.  If the model gets an armour save, it gets an armour save.  If the model gets an invulnerable save, it gets an invulnerable save.  If it gets more than one of the above, it chooses which it takes - as normal.

Then, if the model fails whatever save it took, it then dies (barring other special rules, such as eternal warrior), regarless of how many wounds it has left.

Inquisitor Moderatis Ruminahui
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:37:09 PM by Dr_Ruminahui »
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
and the last time this was posted in was 2005.  Even though it is in the FPT, please don't respond to the thread if it has been dead for as long as this one.
I knew I had fans!!!