News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1250 AdMech Vs Vostroyan AM - Roving Patrol  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
1250 AdMech Vs Vostroyan AM - Roving Patrol
« on: April 8, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »
1250 AdMech Vs Vostroyan AM, Roving Patrol

"I heard all that," the grizzled veteran says, spitting a wad of stim-chew on the bulkhead floor, "and I'm sayin' you're all wrong."

It was one of those stupid conversations that filled a guardsman's hours between drops, as they lay in their bunks in the depths of some rusty old cruiser, going from one death zone to the other. They always started with a stupid question--what color is Guiliman's underwear, or who wins in a fight: Kharn the Betrayer of Lucius the Eternal. This particular time, the question was "what is the sweetest sound of the battlefield?"

They said the thump of the big guns or the thunder of a heavy bolter covering your advance or the rip-tearing noise of an Astartes drop-pod inbound. Others were subtler--the battle cries of your companions, the bellow of a Commissar (since it meant you weren't dead yet), the whine of a lasgun powering up to full charge. The greenest troops said the stupidest things, of course - hymns to the Emperor, the howling pain of the enemy, the sound of boots marching in unison.

But old Edvard - oldest man in the platoon and senior sergeant - had the last word. He'd lived through four campaigns, gave an arm and an eye and leg in the Emperor's service. He chewed the stim-root just to stay alive, they said. Others said he hoped the smell would convince the Techpriests that he wasn't a good fit for Servitor duty. He didn't talk much, even during these long, twilit hours. But this time, he had something to say.

"Believe me, boys, there's but one sound you ever want to hear on the field of battle - just one. No, it ain't the big guns - them might be the enemy, or might be some idiot shelling your own position. No, it ain't a heavy bolter or the crack of a lasgun or none of that amphetamine parrot - you hear that all the time, and all it means is trouble. It sure as hell ain't the voice of your Commissar." He sat back, chewing, his good eye fixed on some distant point.

"Well," asked a raw recruit. "What is it, then?"

"Sweetest sound I ever did hear, on the battlefield or elsewhere - sweeter than the cries of my own children - is the sound of a Valkyrie inbound. That scream of the retrothrusters, the rush of wind that'll knock you flat..." he put his hands behind his head and closed his good eye. "The sound of deliverance, boys. The sound of deliverance."

This game is the first leg of a new arc in my Orthos IV campaign, which you can read about here. Basically, the Vostroyans have reason to believe some kind of tech-cult separatists are screwing around in their theater of battle and they've received orders to drive them off. This first mission is to locate their primary force and clear it away to enable an attack on their base of operations (in the second battle of the arc). We were playing Roving Patrol, so our forces were split into three equal groups before deployment (more on that later). First, the lists:

Vostroyan Scouting Battalion
Battalion Detachment
HQ
Company Commander (Warlord: Grand Strategist)
Company Commander

Elites
Astropath (Psychic Maelstrom)

Troops
Infantry Squad w/Plasma Gun

Heavy Support
Executioner w/Plasma Sponsons
Lascannon Squad
Mortar Squad

Outrider Detachment
HQ
Company Commander w/Power Fist, Graf Toschenko's Armor

Elites
Vet Squad w/3x Plasma Guns

Troops
5 Scions w/2x Plasma, Plasma Pistol

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel w/Autocannon

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Punisher w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Flyer
Valkyrie w/Multiple Rocket Pods, Heavy Bolters, Multilaser

Adeptus Mechanicus Guard Force
Mars Battalion Detachment
HQ
Techpriest Dominus w/Auto-speculum thing, various ray guns
Enginseer

Elites
2 Kastellan Robots w/3 x Phosphor Blasters

Troops
10 Vanguard w/2x Plasma Caliver
5 Vanguard
5 Vanguard

Heavy Support
Dunecrawler w/Neutron Laser
Dunecrawler w/Icarus Array

Stygies VIII Patrol
HQ
Techpriest Dominus w/Rayguns

Elites
5 Infiltrators w/Stub Carbines, Taser Goads

Troops
10 Rangers w/3x Arc Rifles

Fast Attack
1 Dragoon w/Radium Jezzail

Mission, Terrain, and Deployment
The battlefield was supposed to be some nebulous spot of no-man's land on a war-torn planet. There was a river running from a waterfall/mountain in the SE to the north-central edge and then also curving around to the center-west. Forests in the NW and SE corners. Some single-floor ruins in the SW quadrant, some craters scattered around, and a hill in  the NE corner.

An objective went in the center of the board and then one in each of our deployment zones (which was Dawn of War). Uncle Tungsten, my AdMech opponent, put his about at the center of his DZ. I put mine in the SE corner in the forest, which I felt could be easily defended as I tried for the center objective with waves of troops. We then had to split our forces into three separate groups of equal size. Mine three were fairly balanced--two with a pair of infantry squads, a tank, a Sentinel, a heavy weapons squad, and an officer, and one with the valkyrie, Astropath, Vets, officer, and the Scions (and a Sentinel). My opponent grouped his more unevenly--vanguard and robots, vanguard and Dunecrawlers, and then everything else. I wound up beginning with the Executioner, the mortars, two squads, and my warlord. My opponent started with his robots, the big Vanguard groups, the Martian Dominus and the Enginseer. Everything else on both sides would show up turn 2 with a reserve roll (or turn 3 automatically).

I dropped the Executioner behind the waterfall mountain, the mortars in the SE woods on the objective, one squad to the Executioner's west and one behind the mountain. Finally, the Sentinel ranged ahead on the east flank to ward away any Infiltrators. My opponent dropped his troops in one glob at the center of his DZ, the robots in the lead, Vanguard alongside, and the Dominus and Enginseer behind.

Deployment

Vostroyan Deployment
Let's see how long the mighty plasma tank lasts!
AdMech deployment (picture a bit fuzzy)

Turn 1
The AdMech gets the first turn. I totally forget about seizing the initiative, so I don't even try (foolish). The robots stomp south through the river (we said that units moving through or remaining in the river took a mortal wound on a 6 - the robots and everybody else was fine) and shoot up my western infantry squad, killing or forcing to flee about 5 of them. Not much other action this turn--everybody was advancing and nobody was in range of any radium carbines.

Top of Turn 1

The Robots Advance!

In my turn, my infantry squads move forward and try to take what cover they can. I train my sights on my opponent's robots, but they enact some stratagem that gives them a +1 save (which, it turns out, is restricted to infantry, which we discovered later - serves me right for not reading the rules). I figure I kinda have to do something about those robots before they go into Protector mode and blow me away, so I pound away anyway. The Executioner totally chokes on its attacks, scoring only 2 wounds. Plasma gunners in the two squads miss. One gets his shot reflected back (thanks to Aegis mode) and it hits one of his buddies. Blech. The mortars and some lasguns kill about 2 Vanguard. So much for my first turn.

Bottom of Turn 1

Turn 2
Turn 2, my opponent rolls for his reserves...and gets EVERYTHING. The Infiltrators pop out of the pool at the base of the waterfall, the Rangers use a stratagem to deploy in the ruins to the west, the dragoon pops into the NW forest, and the Dunecrawlers, Vanguard, and remaining Dominus occupy the hill in the NE. Much of the initial firepower focuses on the Executioner--the Robots jam themselves into Protector Mode and blast me with their full compliment of 36 phosphor shots, which strips most of its wounds, and then the Neutron laser finishes it off. It explodes, wounding a mortar team and my warlord and knocking a few guys off the forward infantry squad. The rangers kill all but 2 of the western infantry squad while the vanguard kills all but one of the forward infantry squad (all casualty figures after morale). The Icarus Array on the other Dunecrawler strips 5 wounds off my scout sentinel. So, yeah, things are looking pretty sparse on my side of the board. At least there's another wave coming!

Top of Turn 2

Surprise!
Okay...this is officially an ambush...
Oh crap - there's MORE of them?
The Dominus claims the battlefield center
Not a lot of Guardsmen left...

In my turn, I roll my reserve rolls...and get garbage. I get a Scout Sentinel, the Scions, one Infantry Squad, and the Lascannons. Ugh. Okay, time to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear. My new scout sentinel comes on and shoots at the rangers (along with the scions, who drop in behind them). The shooting kills about 6 rangers and then the Sentinel charges the remainder (the Scions try the same charge, but fail the roll). I don't kill any rangers in combat, but that isn't the point--the point is to stop them from shooting. The Lascannons come on about board center and use Firstborn Pride when targeting the robots. They hit twice and, without their super invul save, kill one robot and take 3 wounds off the other. The fresh infantry squad comes on over the broken bodies of the other infantry squad and First Rank/Second Rank into the forward vanguard. They, along with the Mortars and the three guys left over from another squad (who used Grenadiers!) blow the Vanguard down to 1 guy. I charge that one guy with my 3-man squad and lose 1 to overwatch, but I get myself in an awkward position for the Infiltrators to get by next turn. The Vanguard then pop due to morale.

The remaining plasma gunner in the other squad overheats and dies, even with a Command Re-roll. Lame.

Bottom of Turn 2

Scions Arrive!
Sentinel Vs Rangers!
"You killed all my friends, you irradiated BASTARD!"

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1250 AdMech Vs Vostroyan AM - Roving Patrol
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
Turn 3
The Techpriests continue to scythe down my units this turn. The remaining robot blows away my Lascannon squad, while the Icarus Array and stub carbines of the Infiltrators obliterate the infantry squad that had just marched on the board (and joined the growing pile of dead and injured guardsmen filling that space). The Infiltrators couldn't get off a charge, though, since they couldn't quite squeeze by the two remaining infantrymen standing next to the waterfall. One of them was shot down by the enginseers laspistol, the other disintegrated by the Dominus's more esoteric weaponry, but their purpose had been served.

The Rangers elected to fall back from the Sentinel while the Dragoon charged the Scions, killing 1. Finally, the Neutron Laser blasted my wounded NE sentinel away. Man, it's a good thing this game isn't for Kill Points.

Top of Turn 3

In my half of the turn, the third Scout Sentinel arrived, as did the Punisher and the Valkyrie (loaded with the powerfist officer, Astropath, and Veterans). I also got yet *another* infantry squad and another officer to lead them. The Punisher rolled on the same place everybody is--my center. It was flanked by the last Scout Sentinel on one side and the last infantry squad on the other, followed by the last Company Commander. The Valkyrie flew on to the extreme SW corner to stay out of range of the Icarus Array for at least its initial turn.

Despite Shroudpsalm and the Stigies doctrine to protect the Infiltrators, the combined firepower of the Punisher, Mortars, and infantry squad put an end to the Infiltrators. I foolishly split fire from my Punisher, shooting the heavy bolters at the last robot, but they did nothing. The plasma gunner in the infantry squad was luckier, scoring 2 wounds. Of course, doing 2 wounds to those robots wasn't paying off - I haven't mentioned it, but almost all non-kill damage I did to them was just repaired by the Dominus every turn. The plan, then, was to try and engage the stationary robot in combat with something cheap and tarpit it for the rest of the game. This was ostensibly the Scout Sentinel's job, but the Dominus and Enginseer were in the way, so I multicharged both of them. They did 4 wounds altogether with their attacks and I did nothing (of course), but at least I would force them to fall back next turn. I had hoped they wouldn't be able to repair if they fell back - I was wrong about that. Oh well.

At last, the Valkyrie opened up with its heavy bolters and multilaser on the Rangers, knocking them down to only 2. It's multiple Rocket Pods put another wound on the Robot. The Scions remained in combat with the Dragoon, though no wounds were exchanged.

Bottom of Turn 3

Uhhhh...uh-oh...
Here comes the air-cavalry!

Turn 4
At the cost of much blood and treasure, the AdMech hold on the central objective is slipping. The Enginseer and Dominus fall back from the Sentinel, though the Dominus is able to heal the damaged robot back to 5 wounds. The Dragoon falls back from the Scions (I win the staring contest! Ha!). The robot, Neutron Laser, and Icarus Array all target the hapless Punisher, doing 9 wounds. It is holding on, but barely. The Rangers plink ineffectively at my infantry at long range.

Top of Turn 4

Here we go! The Scions shoot at the Robot, doing nothing, but charge the Enginseer, losing one guy and are catastrophically unable to do a wound in combat (I mean, jeez). Heavy bolters blazing, the Valkyrie guns down the last Rangers as it screams past and drops the vets, Astropath, and powerfist commander using Gravechute Insertion. The vets kill that damned robot in short order while the Astropath tries to psychic away some wounds on a character, but fails his check. Though the map doesn't show this, the forward Scout Sentinel charges the Dominus, if memory serves, but takes no damage (nor does it do any damage).

The scout sentinel at my rear falls back to secure my DZ objective with the mortars and my warlord. It pops smoke. Finally, since I'm not sure if I'm going to need to bolster my home objective or the center one, the last infantry squad takes up a neutral position, putting me in easy Move/Move/Move range of either place.

Bottom of Turn 4

A thoroughly inept melee
Cue "Ride of the Valkyries"
The Veterans put an end to that damnable robot
My final push for the center
Yes, and ANOTHER picture, just because this looked so epic...

Turn 5
Things get a little squirelly in this turn, so my memory might be off, but the Dominus either (A) actually did destroy the sentinel last turn or (B) fell back and did nothing. I seem to recall him ray-gunning and charging my vets, killing a few and locking them in combat. I also lose another scion to the enginseer's servo arm. The Dragoon tried to snipe my Astropath and did a wound, but that's it. Finally realizing they need to move, the Vanguard and Dunecrawlers stomp down off their hill. The Neutron Laser and Icarus Array try to shoot down my Valkyrie and do 4 wounds or so. Not a lot of other action on the board, other than the Vanguard advancing as fast as they can towards their home and center objectives.

Top of Turn 5

They *finally* get off their asses!

In the bottom of 5, the vets fall back from the Techpriest but are issued a Get Back In The Fight, letting them rapid fire the Dominus to death. The Astropath uses Psychic Maelstrom to smash the Enginseer flat, freeing up the two remaining scions to make a bid for the center objective, too.

The Valkyrie throws her in hover and shoots salvos of rockets and bolt rounds at the forward Vanguard unit, killing 3. Various other small arms fire take out one more vanguard in the other unit. My infantry move up, making a play for the center, as well--my back-up, should things go badly. Their officer follows them.

Now, if the game ends here, I've got it and then some. If it continues, well, we'll see. Uncle Tungsten rolls a 3, so on to turn 6!

Bottom of Turn 5

Turn 6
Things go...poorly for me here. The Icarus Array, for one thing, completely ERASES my backup infantry squad with some stratagem that lets it hit on 2s (it was so devastating, I mistakenly removed my officer, too, though he should have stuck around). The Dragoon and some radium carbines kill off the scions (And the Dragoon then charges the Astropath--not pictured. He maybe took a wound or something). More radium carbines and the Neutron Laser kill some veterans and then they are charged by the Neutron Dunecrawler, which wipes the remainder of them out. This leaves my Astropath and Powerfist commander and *that's it* holding the center objective. Jeez.

Top of Turn 6

The last push by the cyborgs

Hmmm...okay, this is getting really, really close. I've got Warlord + home objective + Center objective, for 7 points. He's got First Blood and his home objective and is threatening the center. I need to both take away his home objective and hold on to the center by my fingernails to win. Fortunately, the Valkyrie and mortars and Punisher (damaged though it is) are equal to the task. The Valkyrie nukes the ones on the enemy objective, the Punisher and mortars kill the rest. My Astropath falls back from the Dragoon (not pictured) and both him and the powerfist commander claim that central objective. I do a few wounds to the Neutron Dunecrawler with a krak grenade (I think), but nothing serious. I am not in a good position to defend the central objective if there's another turn, so I'm really hoping the game ends.

We roll. We get a 1. Game over.

Bottom of Turn 6

Final Score
Vostroyans: 7
Ad Mech: 1

Post-Mortem
Damn. That game was a lot closer than the score indicates. I had barely any gas left in the tank, though my opponent was in largely the same boat--we had exhausted each other. This was definitely one of the best games I've played in a while--clever stratagem use, close score, massive casualties, big back and forth. I really hated having to roll for reserves again (man, have I not missed that), but it kept the game really tense. Splitting up my forces hurt a lot, since the Guard really relies on units working in concert rather than any one unit working alone. Those robots were nasty, nasty, nasty. The Valkyrie coming in on Turn 3 really saved the day (and man, what a *great* unit that is, too!).

I think my opponent could have benefited by moving his Vanguard and Dunecrawlers forward earlier, rather than hanging back as long as they did. I really didn't need more enemy guns in the center, and he could have made things even worse for me.

The real star of my game, though, was the little Scout Sentinel assaulting the crap out of everything across the board. It did a lot to disrupt enemy shooting and really pulled its weight--I'm going to like those little guys, I'm thinking.

Anyway, it was a fantastic game and a tight match. Next in this campaign arc is a Stronghold Assault mission as I blast apart the AdMech base. Let's see how it goes! Thanks for reading and thanks, as always, to my opponent!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
Yeah, the final score doesn't resemble the struggle at all. Does show that Guard know all about the attrition of battle and sticking through till the end.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
Yeah, the final score doesn't resemble the struggle at all. Does show that Guard know all about the attrition of battle and sticking through till the end.

I did feel bad about my infantry just getting mowed down. But it was also pretty cool.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
I did feel bad about my infantry just getting mowed down. But it was also pretty cool.

That's the full Guard experience other than dysentery and friendly fire.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »
That was one helluva game. Despite total bad luck, Wyddr and his Vostroyans came out on top through grit and wits. The Valkyrie insertion was one of the coolest tabletop moments I've seen.

Martian High Clergy concurs with the analyis of those camping dunecrawlers.  They should have headed out much earlier. One could have headed for the AdMech home objective (although it was cinematic to see those vanguard make a mad dash for it and get gunned down by the Valkyrie) while the other advanced on the Vostroyan home objective and applied pressure.

The other mistake was with the infiltrators. They really should have skirted around the other side of the water feature towards the woods and the Vostroyan home field.

Looking forward to the next game.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:39:48 AM by Uncle Tungsten »