News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are the Necrons just a Dr Who ripoff?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
Are the Necrons just a Dr Who ripoff?
« on: August 15, 2002, 12:47:09 PM »
The more that I read about the Necrons the more I wonder to myself, did GW essentially steal the concept of the Cybermen from Dr Who and insert a few other details so that they fit into the 40k universe.

The Cybermen were once a race of humanoids (in the distant past) who were technically advanced and gave their bodies over to machinery in order to achieve a sort of immortality. They were in some sort of mysterious suspended animation, until some silly humans disturbed them from their tomb. Their strength is the equal of the strongest humans. They have hordes of little beetle like robots (Cybermats) and a general desire to kill all other living things. The Monolith even vaguely resembles the TARDIS!

So throw in the C'Tan to string the Necrons in with the other races, add a few more units to make the army list workable and voila the Cybermen have become the Necrons.

Does anyone else think that they should have left the handles on the side of the heads and just called them Cybermen instead of Necrons? Or simply find it difficult to actually think of them as Necrons rather than Cybermen?

Offline Bezerker

• Blood for the Blood God!
Re:Are the Necrons just a Dr Who ripoff?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 08:25:16 AM »
I have no clue what you are talking about yet alone the cheap 5 dollar made in backyard type movie from the 70s. Personally, it offends me that you think Necrons resmeble the poorly funded movie you talk about. Cyberman, sounds like a movie playing on the Totally 80's channel or something.
The Throne was a mile high. Constructed of ancient brass and bare, bone white skulls. A river of blood twisted around it and followed down a long brass road to meet the throne. The place was lite only from the white hot fire which erupted from time to time, a evil forge. As I approached the top I lo

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 11:04:44 AM »
You don't know what "Dr Who" was?

To inform you it was one of the biggest Sci-Fi series after Star Trek TOS.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Callidus

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2002, 03:36:47 PM »
Dr. Who is great! How could you call it a $5 POS? It was one of the biggest things in Sci-fi, with something like five movies and a TV series that ran for 7 series (I think).
And now that you mention it, Necrons do resemble the Cybermen. Maybe a coincedence, or maybe another devious plot of the Deciever! MUHAHAHA*cough*HAHA...

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2002, 08:11:29 PM »
I smell a conspiracy! The Deciever created BOTH Dr.Who AND Warhammer 40k AND Terminator(I&II) as a way to infiltrate us and to cover for his real plans!!

Really, whenever somebody is on his tracks people will say "Bah, he has just watched too many episodes of Dr Who" or "He's one of those Warhammer 40k freaks".
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline OwlManAtt

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 08:48:15 PM »
Umm..The Moliath resemble the tardis? Umm...I was under the impression the Tardis was a phone both...Phone Booths and pyramids dont look alike.

Callidus

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 12:15:12 AM »
Maybe that's just what the Deciever WANTS you to think? He's screwing with our minds man...
And the Tardis was a police booth (some english thing, don't ask) that was normal on the outside but technologically advanced and huge on the inside. It was cool. It basically looked like a gazibo with walls.

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2002, 12:04:06 PM »
Dr. Who is great! How could you call it a $5 POS? It was one of the biggest things in Sci-fi, with something like five movies and a TV series that ran for 7 series (I think).
Dr Who is indeed great, although you are out by 20ish years in the duration of the overall series (1963 - 88).

The TARDIS (usually) looked like a Blue Police Box with a glowing light at the top when it was in use. It is a bit of a push, but there is a resemblance there if you try.