News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Starky's Iyanden Silver Ghosts VS Vostroyan Imperial Guards  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Starky's Iyanden Silver Ghosts VS Vostroyan Imperial Guards
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »
   Hi all, long time without a proper batrep but the Silver Ghosts are back on duty.

All in all, this is only my third totally 5th ed game, the first two were more tentative dabblings in it, so if you see any glaring mistakes feel free to punish me with sarcasm, scorn and other pleasurable explements.

The battle was fought against the IG of 3vil, for it is well known that all humies are 3vil, especially weakly Imperial ones.

So, there we go. ;)

Silver Ghosts Task Force: (1500 pts)

HQ:
 - Farseer w/ Spirit Stones, Fortune & Doom

ELITE:
 - Harlequins X 9 w/ Shadowseer & 9 Kisses

TROOPS:
 - Wraithguard X 10 w/ Spiritseer & Conceal
 - Dire Avengers X 10 w/ Exarch, Dual Catapults & Bladestorm
  +Wave Serpent w/ Twin-linked Shuricannons & Star Engines

HEAVY:
 - Wraithlord w/ 2 Flamers, EML & Scatter Laser
 - Warwalkers X 3, all with Dual Shuricannons

FAST:
 - Vyper w/ Shuricannon

Vostroyan Imperial Guards: (1500 pts)

Doctrines: Hardened Fighters, Sharpshooters, Carapace Armor, Roughriders, Storm Troopers.

HQ:
 - Command HQ: Senior Officer, Medic, Vox-Caster, Standard Bearer w/ various gadgets (Powerfist, Carapace Armor, Grenades,, ect...)
 - Commissar w/ ¨Powersword, Bolt Pistol & Carapace Armor.
 - Fire Support Squad: Heavy Bolter X 3.
 - Anti-Tank Squad: Lacannon X 3.

ELITE:
 - Storm Troopers X 10 w/ Vet Sarge, Powersword, Honorofica Imperialis, Infiltrate, Plasma gun & Meltagun.

TROOPS:
 - Command Squad w/ Junior Officer, Powersword, Flamer X2, Plasma gun, Plasma Pistol, Carapace Armor, Meltabomb.
 - Squad 1: X 10 w/ Vet Sarge, Bolt Pistol, Flamer, Grenades, Carapace Armor.
 - Squad 2: X 10 w/ Vet Sarge, Plasma gun, Grenades, Carapace Armor.

- Armored Fist Squad: X 10, Vet Sarge, Flamer, Carapace Armor.
  + Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Subber, Extra Armour.

HEAVY:
 - Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Hull Lacannon, Sponson MUlti-Meltas, Extra Armour & Rough Terrain Modifications.

FAST:
 - Rough Riders Squadron X 5 w/ Vet Sarge, Hunting Lances, Meltabommb, Powersword & Carapace Armor.

Someone else made the table for us. Note two things, A) The table is not standard, 5' X 6' and B) That lovingly, LOS blocking Citern complex almost dead center on the table, we call it the Pringle Complex due to it's origins, so very nice, oh yes...  :)

We then rolled for the Mission parameters and got Anihilation and Spearhead. Good.

The Vostroyan player I will call 'OB' (his name's initials) for it is shorter than writing 'the Imperial Guard Player' or 'my Vostroyan opponent' or whatever. Need I to go on?

Anyway, OB won first turn and chose to go First.

DEPLOYMENT:

(Right-click to enlarge)
Note the proxies: OB have not all his models yet, so he used some of his BA SMurfs to fill the ranks - Bikes are HB Team, Tac Squad is Armored Fist.

OB castled in the far corner and inflitrated his Storm Troopers to my left in and behind the small ruin.
   I myself hid most of my models from the Lascannon and Heavy Bolter team (especially the Serpent) and the Demolisher was far back so I didn't fear it's main weaponry before at least one or two turns in the game.

Since the table was so large I had to take into account the long open ground where I'll surely get pounded from beginning to end until my force reached the IG lines.
   In all case, I could use the Avatar as cover for the Wraithlord and the Wraithguard were Concealed, so I didn't have too much concern about that.
   The Avengers were deployed to keep the Storm Troopers busy, leaving their Serpent to the Harlies and nearby Farseer.

I decided to go for the kill, to quarter, no prisonners: Last time we gamed (a Tourney) we fought to a draw, me with my Silver Ghosts, him with his Blood SMurfs, so no pity for the monkeighs!

I failed to snatch the Initiative. Bah...

TURN 1:

(Right-click to enlarge)

- IG: The Vostroyans moved about and repositioned somewhat, lighting the Wraithguard with everything in range but killing only one. On the left the Storm Troopers reconsidered and tried to hide behind the ruin but suffered from bad difficult terrain roll.
   Note the Rough Riders running to the right behind the ruin.

- Eldar: First, the mighty and veberable Farseer rolled Box Car for vasting Fortune (but was protected by his Ghosthelm). ::)

Everything advanced a bit, Avatar and WG running a pitiful 1 inch while the Harlies and Farseer mounted in the Serpent who drove forward abit, hugging tightly the Pringle Complex and very happy to be out of Lascannon sight.
   Meanwhile, the Wraithlord used the Avatar as cover and burned a couple of Heavy Bolter crew in the bushes.

On the left, the Avengers managed to spot one or two lagging Storm Troopers and Bladestormed them to death. With their Sarge dead and their friends plastering the walls all about they reconsidered the wiseness of being part of that fight at all and legged it toward the table edge, never to be seen again. :o

TURN 2:

(Right-click to enlarge)

- IG: Again some repositionning, notably the Armored fist squad who disembarked, their Chimera vaporising two Dire Avengers with it's Heavy Bolter. On the right the Rough Rider moved to threaten my flank while the Demolisher, still a bit out of range, added it's Lascannon to the torrent of lead and beams of light that splaterred the Avatar, taking two wounds off it.

- Eldar: Vyper and Warwalker fails to come in. Farseer Fortune the Wave Serpent who race toward the Vostroyan DZ (Star Engines FTW!)
   Avatar again ran a pitiful 1" closely followed by the Wraithlord who shot again the Heavy Bolter Team, Plasma roasting another 2 (and totally ignoring the Rough Riders: STR 5 on the charge? Pah!).
   Wraithguard spread in Pie Plate anticipation, taking ground to get a better cover save and the Avengers trunded toward the ruin previously occupied by the Storm Troopers while reloading.
   Very messy in there.

TURN 3:

(Right-click to enlarge)

Change of perspective!

- IG: Again some repositionning to receive the Eldar advance as warmly as can be - Squad 2 and Command Squad supporting the Demolisher and Heavy Bolter Team, all of them opening up on the Avatar to an horrifying total of 0 wounds. OB was a bit dismayed that Multi-Meltas didn't work against Him, heh-heh...
   The Rough Riders had their glory day though in charging the Wraithlord, their lances scoring 2 wounds and the Fearless No Retreat took the Lord's last wound, ouch. They consolidated north.
   On the right, the Armored Fist Squad was a hair out of range of the Avengers and the Chimera failed to kill any, Viva Cover Saves!
   Finally, the Lascannon Team tried to gun down the speeding Serpent but miserably failed to pierce the advanced Force Field. Eldar Tech. Hurrah, yeah, hurrah. 8)

- Eldar: Vyper shows itself and Farseer roll, again, that fabulous Box Car to Fortune the Harlies [sigh]...
   No matter.

Up north, Avvy (again a low roll of 2") and Wraithguard pals leg it toward the Imperial line, belatly ignoring the Rough Riders (again) who got two of their own mowed down by the arriving Vyper.
   Taking position in the ruin, the Avengers let loose some pot shots (most are out of range) and jam two from the Armored Fist Squad.

Finally, the dessert: The Harlies and Farseer disembark (separately) and multicharge the entrenched Command HQ, Squad 1 and Lascannon Team, losing three of their numbers but mopping the floor of all the puny humans through Sweeping Advance (-7 LD tests you say. Really?)
   Oh, and the Serpent Tank Shock the HB Team but they pass their LD test.

TURN 4:

(Right-click to enlarge)

-IG: The Armored Fist squad decide it's time take a ride and embark in their Chimera, who combine firepower with the the Command Squad to slaughter the Harlequins, leaving only the Shadowseer alive. Hu-rray.
   Again, Heavy Bolter Team, Demolisher and Squad 1 opened up on the Avatar but again failed miserably to inflcit damage to the furious incarnation of Khaine, while the  Rough Riders charged the Wraithguard and got wiped out for their effort.
   Disturb the Dead at your own risk I say.

-Eldar: The mighty Farseer cast Fortune on himself and the Warwalkers finally show up in Outflank, peppering the Chimera with a shower of Shurican discs but failed miserably to inflict any damages. Both the Farseer (running) and the Walker then assault the thing but they barely manage to rip off the Multilaser from it's mount and shake the Chimera. Pff.
   Wraithguard and Vyper advance toward the Vostroyan line and let rip at Squad 1, leaving only two alive who stood their ground.
   Meanwhile, Khaine is getting pretty annoyed with that Imperial lump of moving metal and slice His way trough like a plasma bolt through ice cream. Boom.
   Bottom, the Wave Serpent Tank Shock and shoot the Command Squad to no results and the Shadowseer get in.

TURN 5:

(Right-click to enlarge)

At this point the battle was played out but I asked OB if he minded to do the last turn for me to have a full 5 turns batrep and he said okay, although at this point most of the Vostroyans on the field were thinking to put their flashlights in their mouth in shame...

-IG: Armored Fist squad get bails out of the Chimera (who move off and Smoke) and turn the Venerable, Respectable and Anciant Farseer to bacon.
   Heavy Bolter Team and survivors from Squad 1 try their luck against the WG for change and actually destroy one! The Command Squad for it's part turned their Plasma weaponry on the Serpent but sadly failed. Oh well.

-Eldar: Avengers Bladestorm all of the Armored Fist squad to minced meat while the Walkers light the HB Team but manage only two kills. Shame.
   The Serpent Tank Shock the Command Squad to herd it toward the Avatar who quickly charge and do unspeakable things to the poor monkeighs. Above, the Vyper also gun down the two survivors from Squad 1.
   The game end with the Wraithguard shooting then charging the Chimera, managing to Shake it and Stun it a lot and lo! Ripp the HB from it's mount, Yeah baby, way to go.

The END.

Vostroya: 2 KP
Iyanden: 10 KP

Okay, OB made mistakes (as I did, just less) but then he hadn't learned all of 5th ed yet and was a newcomer to the IG, usually playing his nasty Blood Angels.
   Oh, and I feel sorry for that but I re-read the rules and the Warwalker should'nt have come from that side of the board, that was my mistake, not that would have changed to outcome anyway since they did practically nothing, maybe a difference of 1 or 2 KPs at most (Chimera/Armored Fist squad?)
   Oh well.

Starky
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:10:37 AM by Starrakatt, the Slayer of Hubris »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Re: Starky's Silver Ghosts VS Vostroyan Monkeighs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »
Thanks for the Battle Report, Starky.  The pictures are nice.  Yes, there were a few mistakes, but the game seemed fun (well, if the IG player considers learning some valuable lessons fun  ;)), so good game.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Sir Sam Vimes

• Wych
  • Pontificator Extremis of Goovil
    • http://amrothdin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:15:59 AM »
Nice rep, and gratz for the win.

Uh... well, don't have anything more to say. Odd that you play against the forces of 3vil, and not with them ::)

Good job.

Offline ColonelDoyle

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:13:22 AM »
Nobody paints anything anymores!  ???

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

BTW, Starkies entire army (save the WW's) was painted... Silver and blue is his scheme... and it was noted that the IG player is still in the Build/paint mode as he has just started with IG (even had to proxy a few figs).

Anywho... Nice Batrep there Starky, the pictures (with added lines and figures) are excellent. The write up was great as well, and I especially like the little comments, cheers, and such.... It was great that you included both army lists as well...  I played a few Annihilation missions now and I must say that cover is critical, so it was nice to see the Pringle Towers providing a good use... I faced off with almost nothing in the way of Cover, and my Jetbikes were sorrily hurt for it; although I did manage to crush the Tau Mon-Kiegh, it was not due to any cover saves (ever in that game). I noticed that you touched on the Outflank for the WW's and it is great that you cleared that up, as you must come in from a short edge, not your opponent DZ edge... I odn't think it would have mattered though as you simply would have shot the crap out of something else, and still won handily.

I love your army configuration; very in theme and very effecient. I would love to face it, and now that I have Vassal working, maybe we can at least get a game by internet.... Although I still not sure how you set-up terrain etc, and only used a pre-built board so far....

PS... why are you playing in the school gym?

CaHG

Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
Quote from: NewHeretic
Thanks for the Battle Report, Starky.  The pictures are nice.
Quote from: His Grace the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Sam Vimes
Nice rep, and gratz for the win.
Good job.
Thanks!

Quote from: ColonelDoyle
As moc065 says. My opponent is still experimenting with the Vostroyan paint scheme and is still building his army, I see no problem with that.

Quote from: moc065

Anywho... Nice Batrep there Starky, the pictures (with added lines and figures) are excellent. The write up was great as well, and I especially like the little comments, cheers, and such....
Thanks moc.

It was great that you included both army lists as well...
I usually does, although I wasn't sure with the Doctrines, not being that familiar with the IG Codex.

I played a few Annihilation missions now and I must say that cover is critical, so it was nice to see the Pringle Towers providing a good use... I faced off with almost nothing in the way of Cover, and my Jetbikes were sorrily hurt for it; although I did manage to crush the Tau Mon-Kiegh, it was not due to any cover saves (ever in that game).
Yes, the Pringle Towers were an advantage that I took in earnest. I too often had to fight into a Ring of Death battlefield, the concept of a 'good gaming table' for many here.
   I usually try to set up a table with evenly distributed terrain (and themed) if at all possible.

I noticed that you touched on the Outflank for the WW's and it is great that you cleared that up, as you must come in from a short edge, not your opponent DZ edge... I odn't think it would have mattered though as you simply would have shot the crap out of something else, and still won handily.
Yeah, my mistake. I was re-reading the rule and found that I was wrong. I'll have to excuse when I see OB, but I don't think he'll make a case of it, and as you say it wouldn't have changed to outcome of the game anyway.

I love your army configuration; very in theme and very effecient. I would love to face it, and now that I have Vassal working, maybe we can at least get a game by internet.... Although I still not sure how you set-up terrain etc, and only used a pre-built board so far....
We shall see. I'll try to get to grip with Vassal as soon as I can and give you news.
   The army is an experimental build - Avatar, Harlies in a Serpent and Warwalkers are new ones for me, not my usual build, still trying to find my ground in 5th ed.

PS... why are you playing in the school gym?
That's where our Gaming Club is gathering to play our games for a very low fee. Space aplenty ya see. ;)

Thanks all for the comments.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.