News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My brother.  (Read 4116 times)

Callidus

My brother.
« on: August 21, 2002, 02:07:25 PM »
A few weeks ago, my brother started playing Tyranids. He had never played before and he wanted a race that was swarmish (he likes the Zerg on SC), so I immiediatly pointed him to the Tyranids. Now I'm having second doubts of whether he should be collecting Tyranids because, out of about 12 games he hasn't won a game yet. He is only 11, and I have also played for 5 years, so I'm kind of a veteran, and I'm not really surprised I win all the time in equal games. Well, yesterday, I offered to play him in a game, where he could pic 650pts of anything in the codex, and I would only use my 155pt Solitare. He lost misrably, to put it bluntly.
Should he reconsider which race to play, or should he stick to it?

Offline Antediluvian

• All ends have a new beginning...
Re:My brother.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 10:10:52 PM »
thats odd. What kind of tyranid army is he playing? IS he using like lots of lictors, biovores, and termagaunts? all of these tyranid units suck.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 12:19:00 AM »
Let your brother know that he picked a pretty hard army to play, but that its one that can win its share of battles once he's learned how to use it.  If he wants any advice post what he uses and what units he has to go against.  

Against your solitaire for instance I'd go with a Tyrant with venom cannon (161pts) 2 carnefexi with barbed stranglers (286pts) and 3 biovores with frag spores (150pts).  That way if either the carnefexi or the Tyrant wounded the solitaire would be dead and the barbed stranglers and frag mines are blast marker weapons which would negate holo field/d field saves.  

Oh and Antediluvian, biovores do NOT suck.  They are a great way of taking out enemy fire teams that are screened behind normal troops, and they can also set up a roadblock for enemy troops - since they can't come within 1" of the spores in the movement phase.  I personally like poison mines the best since they wound everything on a 4+ and auto glance open topped vehicles.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 02:51:20 AM »
I am personally not convinced that Tyranids are a particularly hard army to play, as the basic attack method is fairly straightforward, as it is for most heavily assault based armies.

However, as 40k is reasonably well balanced, a good commander will generally beat a poor commander irrespective of what armies are being used. I think the real solution is to find someone of a similar skill level as an opponent for your brother. With a bit of success and guidance, you should get a decent opponent after a while.

I would make another vote for Biovores not sucking. Of all the units in the entire 40k universe, Biovores are the single unit (on a per points basis) that my Dark Eldar fear the most.

Offline chimera

• Whoa, this is the fourth time I died
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 09:57:31 AM »
lictors kill!!!!!!I stunned the crew of a land raider 6 times straight with 1!!!!!
Ich bin die Verkörperung des Todes!

Im waitng in my cold cell,
When the bell begins to chime,
Reflecting on my past life,
And it doesn't have much time.

Cause at five o'clock,
 they take me to the gallows oooooohhhh!
The sands of time,
for me, are running low!

Callidus

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 11:56:51 PM »
Thanks guys, In the Solitare game he took 28 hormies, 10 stealers, a tyrant with venom cannon and I think that's it. He choose the force. Then I challenged him again and I thik he got the message that a Solitare cannot be beat in CC. So he too 9 warriors with deathspiters and devourers, a tyrant with same, a biovore with frag and a thrope. He totally murdered me! First 9 S6 blast shoots, then 36 S4 shoots, and that's just from the Warriors!

And forthe record the Solitare had a Kiss, powerblades, S pitol and bi ammo, D-feild, Phase feild and tanglefoot grenades, and totalled 165pts. For any Harlie players out there, tanglefoot grenages are worth the points. They kept the 28 hormies off my back. ;)

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 07:14:21 AM »
Here's an idea that, although doesn't REALLY solve the problem, gives him the confidence to keep playing.

I'm talking about throwing the game and letting him win.

When you take an army, design it so that it will have to run uphill against the nids.  Make it 50/50 in assault/shooting, and sometimes forget to shoot with a unit once or twice.

You don't need to basically lay down, just take a knee a little for him and help him get the rules down and get into the game.

After he gets better, then you can go for the neck. :)
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Callidus

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 01:27:16 PM »
What do you think I did when I let him have 485 more points than me? I did that too, didn't assualt him even when I could have (in the first turn!!!).

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2002, 12:36:32 AM »
To soften the points cost difference and playing easy, you can set up the terrain heavily in his favor; using hills, forests, walls, or even bunkers so his army can find a non-modelwise advantage. Though you'll need to find/buy/build some terrain, this has some benefits:

1. You'll have some (more) terrain for future games. Also, bunkers will allow you to play bunker based missions.

2. He'll feel better about the victory since the points can be closer.

3. You'll learn tactics with terrain (so you can beat him and others later).

4. Terrain looks better. And, if you already have some, more terrain looks better. And, it's good for 'nids.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Antediluvian

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2002, 10:29:09 AM »
nids can beat harleys in cc. just give them Catalyst and they will do fine.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2002, 01:03:05 PM »
I'm surprised that your solitaire was able to beat a Tyrant in assault.  Since the 'kiss and powerblades do not combine, you'd have to choose between wounding on a 6 and ignoring armor, or wounding on a 2+ and allowing the 2+ armor save (I assume the Tyrant had extended carapace or warp field).  The Tyrant would need to roll a 6 to hit, 2+ to wound and cause instant death on a successful wound.  

Riveblades would have been a better choice against a tyrant since they cause instant death on a wound roll of 6.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Callidus

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2002, 08:28:18 PM »
I know I'm probably going to get booed for this, but since everyone confused me about the Kiss + powerblades thing, I just combine the abilities, if my opponent lets me, which he did. No one seems to mind this at all, but I know I would! ;D
Come to think of it riveblades would be good, but then I'd only have 11 attacks. ::)

Offline Antediluvian

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2002, 08:49:42 PM »
dude you sicust me. CHEATER!!! your worce than filthy Mon-Kiegh

Offline JiMInY

• What big teeth I have
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2002, 11:10:23 AM »
n wonder you bloody won, i mean hitting on what a 3+, wounding on a 2+ and no save, with like loads attacks, ur brother should get to kick you in the nuts ;D
consume the magical plant

Callidus

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2002, 11:11:23 PM »
Gee, my phsycic powers are getting better! I knew everyone was going to say that! It's not my fault, really. Evryone just kept confusing me. Some people would say what it says in the codex, some would say news rules say you combine them, some would say some other gobldygook.
Let's clear this up once and for all, HOW SHOULD POWERBLADES AND HARLEQUIN'S KISSES BE USED TOGETHER!?!?!

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2002, 08:04:08 PM »
You know, I've never found where it says you may or may not combine weapons... and then wargear... plus, then we have to deal with Kharandras and his Biting Blade/ Power Fist...
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Callidus

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2002, 10:48:20 PM »

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 12:23:59 AM »
I understand your confusion C'tan Man.  One of the CJ's said that you could combine a 'kiss and powerblades - but when questioned about it later Gav Thorpe said that it was an error and the two could not be combined.  That was in a message on the GW Game Development board.  Do a search there for 'powerblades' and you should be able to find it - that's how I did.

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2002, 01:39:40 PM »
when someone looses and he has 6 times the amount of points as you it makes you feel pretty bad.  However, if you play with the equal amount of points, but just dont play them smartly, or the best to your advantage, he can win, and not feel like you let him win.  Such as assulting with shooty troops.  Also, tell him to upgrade his gaunts if he hasnt.....some of them can be quite good
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.