News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: <I want to start Imperial Guard>  (Read 669 times)

Offline shuaZane

• Newest
  • you know you play to uch 40k when...
<I want to start Imperial Guard>
« on: July 25, 2005, 06:37:49 PM »
Yes I too have always had a little spot in my heart for the imperial guardsmen running around making the sacrifice for the emperor like no other army can. I was wondering about starting out a army some pointers on what doctrines etc. to get the effect that I want from my army. The style imperial gaurd i want to create is a mobile force mostly infantry with transports with quite a few elite's in transports to help reinforce and gaps in the line. I figure this will allow me in normall games to sit back with heavy weapons ablazing then when they finally close and assualt me i would have some rapid moving elites to come help out the assualt. then if i have to go on the move i have plenty of elites in transports moving up while my heavy weapons lay down fire and the bulk of my troops foot slogs it up to the objective. i kinda know what i am doing but i figure i wou8ld ask all of you hardend veterans. no i dont own the codex yet either. i will be getting a box of troopers to try out what paint scheme i like best going cadian to.  :)

tips and tricks welcome and also would like to know about the things that are difficult for imperial guard to cope with like deamon pprinces or something like that.

Topic edited for clarity. Please be more specific in your topics for the future. -Koonitz
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 11:04:59 PM by Koonitz »
Necron about 1850 points
Imperial Guard just starting...

Offline Decius

• Grot
  • Nurglings, the other white meat.
I use to collect a guard a while ago and from playing with them I have learned never assault anything with a high toughness(e.g. monstrous creatures) and stay away from enemies that have a ton of attacks in cc.

Offline Corax

• Commissar, Best Painted Guardsmen
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Political Emissary
This is probably better off in the IG tactics forum... meh

Get the codex. I can't stress this enough. It should be your next purchase.

There is no real point telling you what doctrine you should get until you do, because you won't have a clue what were on about.
After obtaining a codex and reading through it thoroughly, I suggest reading through it again. Then select the units you like best and compose an army list and post that

As far as tips and tricks go, I would suggest that foot slogging it towards the enemy may not be the best of ideas as your troops will need to be stationary to fire any heavy weapons and there own guns to full effect. It may be wise to use the mounted units to travel the larger distances to the objectives (compared to the relatively short distances within your deployment zone) at a leisurely pace, as you don't want to get on top of the objective with little support. So timing the arrival to coincide with other units such as hellhounds, infiltrating and/or deep striking storm troopers, vet squads, and sws in order to hold at bay the impending assault of the enemies shock troops.
If you're intending to use the mounted units for the purposes of plugging gaps in the line it may be better to forgo the transports and use the points for more warm bodies to strengthen the line to begin with. Then again you could use the points for both troops and sentinels that way you have the advantage of portable heavy weapons with the luxury of more bodies. Though the choice is ultimately yours.

Hope these ramblings of a grizzled old soldier have given you some help. Welcome to the Guard 
My Traitor Guard Blog

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem Imperialem!

Offline shuaZane

• Newest
  • you know you play to uch 40k when...
Re: <I want to start Imperial Guard>
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:18:24 PM »
got the codex now. yes. cooridnation i see combined arms eh. alrighty. ive already got regiment getting drawn up :)
i have about one and half company's done (no models just the lists) and I am needing to know it mentions in the infantry squads
transport: None does this mean i can buy them a chimera to ride in or means they can never have a chimera to go ridin' around in.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:27:59 PM by shuaZane »
Necron about 1850 points
Imperial Guard just starting...

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
Re: <I want to start Imperial Guard>
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »
First of all, welcome to the IG board! ;)

got the codex now. yes. cooridnation i see combined arms eh. alrighty. ive already got regiment getting drawn up :)
i have about one and half company's done (no models just the lists) and I am needing to know it mentions in the infantry squads
transport: None does this mean i can buy them a chimera to ride in or means they can never have a chimera to go ridin' around in.

It simply means that the unit CANNOT have the option of taking chimeras as their transport. Simple as that...

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P