News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Rubric Marines Datasheet!  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
New Rubric Marines Datasheet!
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
Hmmmm...my initial thoughts go like this:

Good
-Warpflamers look much better these days than they did. Very possible, if not likely, I'll
take more of them.

-The Warpflame Pistol seems like a no-brainer. If pistols can shoot in combat and this thing gets 1D6 free hits, I'm going to take it every damned time. Be interesting to see what it costs in Matched Play.

-I like the change to force weapons. Would have preferred if they did 1D6 wounds, but I like how they balanced out the three weapon types.

The So-so
-The Soulreaper Cannon looks a tad more useful. I can see myself taking one, assuming it's narrative play and I don't need to spend an arm/leg on it. If I'm playing Matched and the thing still costs about two marines to field, screw it with a 10-foot pole.

-5++? Boooo! +1 Save? Yaaaay! I think, overall, this mirrors the abilities of the Rubrics fairly well. Would have preferred 2 wounds apiece, but you take what you can get. I think general design philosophy is to make things easier to kill (maybe?), though that certainly doesn't explain Gorkonauts with 18 wounds.

The Bad
-The aspiring sorcerer's psychic abilities suck, suck, suck. Oh my, how bad is that? If the structure of the Ksons still require psychic powers to do all the heavy lifting against tanks and monsters, this absolutely will *not* cut it.

Weirdly, I think they may have made Ksons into an assault unit. Warpflamers + Warpflame Pistol + Save bonuses + Force weapons = get me into combat please! Crappy psychic powers and less-powerful Inferno bolters? Meh. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:01:11 AM by Wyddr »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: New Rubric Marines Datasheet!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »
I agree that it's very mixed.  I really like the Warpflamers, Force Weapons, and the increased resistance to small arms fire, but the Aspiriing Sorcerer's lack of a Tzeentch style psychic power is very disappointing.  I was expecting Smite to be the default power and a Tzeentch power to accompany it, saying that he could cast one or the other in each friendly psychic phase.  It's a real shame that GW appears to have opted not to do that.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
It adds to my growing concern that GW is looking to severely neuter psychic power (again). Unless there's robust psychic power, playing Thousand Sons becomes largely pointless.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
Maybe what they are aiming for is that the Thousand Sons, if you want to focus more on Psychic Powers, need to take Sorcerors and focus less on Aspiring Champions.  They are still going to out psychic most armies, though.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
So, yeah, if the Sorcerers and Exalted Sorcerers wind up being badass, then that will be fine. What concerns me is the possible precedent, here. Because it's only one power, pretty weak, and only about a 2/3s odds of getting it off. It's, essentially, another gun, but one that can be countered by some other guy on the battlefield and that various persons will be immune to.

I lived those days. They were called 4th/5th edition, and psykers were crap. Utter garbage. I don't want to go back.   

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
That has potential to be quite the large sized unit. For an appropriate and proportionate cost I'm sure once we see how the system works. 
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.