News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First Attempt at Competitive Nids (2k)  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Archibald_Buggerfingers

• I really need to get off Vassal...
First Attempt at Competitive Nids (2k)
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
I know nids have a lot of problems and tbh really aren't the army to pick for competitive gaming, but I really like the models/fluff and appreciate a challenge., I've accepted that DE are pretty much an auto-loss. I've never played nids before so some of my pointing is probably off (there's soo much random stuff in the book to keep track of). Anyhow:

HQ

Hive Tyrant (Dual Brainleech Worms, Armoured Shell, Old Advesary) with Tyrant Guard (Lash whips)-330

Elites

3 Hive Guard-150

3 Hive Guard-150

3 Hive Guard-150

Troops
10 Termagaunts-50

Tervigon (Catalyst, A Glands, T Sacs, Talons)-200

10 Termagaunts-50

Tervigon (Catalyst, A Glands, T Sacs, Talons)-200

Fast Attack

20 Gargoyles (A glands, T sacs)-160

Heavy Support

Tyrannofex (Rupture Cannon)-265

Tyrannofex (Rupture Cannon)-265

Total:1970

48 T6 Wounds, 2 Sources of FnP, 18 S8 Shots, 12 TL S6 Shots and 4 S10 shots for ranged AT.

The Gargoyles and HG cover the Tervi's/Fexs, HG alone are not going to cover them annoyingly. The models are beautiful, just too damn big. The gargoyles can at least provide some fast counter assault instead of just being mobile cover. Means I have to cut a T fex :/. That said, I'm entertaining the thought of dropping a squad of HG and 1 from each of the remaining squads to afford another T Fex.

The Tyrant provides more AT, general utility from OA and Paroxysm as well as JoTWW Defense (from SiTW). The lone Tyrant guard is there to grab a few more wounds, abuse cover mechanics and for the Lash Whips. The Tyrant is also there for area denial, most things don't really wanna end up in CC with him and solid counter assault (especially with intelligent gaunt charges so he receives minimal hits in return)

30 Wounds of MC seems like reasonable saturation to me (well, except vs DE) with all of it able to claim a 2+ or equivalent: Tyrant and Fexes have 2+ and Tervi's can give themselves FnP. Most Ap2 is shorter ranged/in short supply forcing most people to get close to really damage my MC's.

I think it's got a decent amount of  AT (for nids) and should be able to hold it's own against most armies (DE/SW being the most awkward). I still have 30 points to play about with, but no clue how to spend them. Anyhow, tear me to pieces ;)

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: First Attempt at Competitive Nids (2k)
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2012, 01:08:39 AM »
How many tyrant gaurd do you have? If you only have 1 then yes, I would take armoured shell if you have two tyrant gaurd get rid of armoured shell the upgrade is to expensive and to be honest everything getting thrown at the tyrant will be ap2 or ap1, so it is a bit of a waste.  I would also take the adrenal glands and the toxin sacs off of the gargoyles, to be perfectly honest you need to bolster your termagants squad they will be wiped off the board on turn 1.

Offline Archibald_Buggerfingers

• I really need to get off Vassal...
Re: First Attempt at Competitive Nids (2k)
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
Cheers for the response  ;)

How many tyrant gaurd do you have? If you only have 1 then yes, I would take armoured shell if you have two tyrant gaurd get rid of armoured shell the upgrade is to expensive and to be honest everything getting thrown at the tyrant will be ap2 or ap1, so it is a bit of a waste.

I only have the one Tyrant Guard, it's cheaper and easier to abuse cover mechanics that way. I don't think that Armoured Shell would be a waste with 2 TG though. Far from everything getting thrown at the Tyrant will be ap1/2. BT/SW are going to end up lobbing missiles at him, DE will be mostly splinter cannons from the venoms. Eldar with scatterlasers etc. There's also the fact that I have another two 2+ save MC's and 2 casting Catalyst on themselves, so theirs plenty of target saturation for ap1/2.

I would also take the adrenal glands and the toxin sacs off of the gargoyles, to be perfectly honest you need to bolster your termagants squad they will be wiped off the board on turn 1.

Again, I disagree. With the number of other targets and threats presented (HG, Tyrant, Fexes, Tervi's etc.) and the fact that the gaunts don't present any immediate threat means they should be fine, I'd welcome my opponent to shoot them over the rest of my army as I can just spawn more and g2g in cover. I'd only be getting another 8 Gaunsts if I dropped the upgrades off of the Gargoyles and it would seriously dilute their combat effectiveness.