News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348348 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #940 on: November 13, 2016, 06:49:48 AM »
Hell yeah! Thanks Auric... very much appreciated. I'm glad you share my enthusiasm. I must have gone over to the hobby table at least 20 times since I posted, just to take a look at him. The armor really is imposing, and has that bullish quality of the classic terminator armor, with a sort of heroic quality thanks to the shield and face plate. Not sure if you noticed but I added a "Deathwing Ceremonial Dagger" to him just to make a tie-in to the classic Deathwing.

Still tearing my hair out over painting him.... In the latest Heresy Book the DA Cataphractii rock red checkers but I don't think I'm gonna go down the route. Think I'm gonna keep them white... because I have a cool idea for painting the hammer in warmer energy tones. Any thoughts are appreciated from my Ravenguard battle-bro!

Thanks on the Praetor too, I thought the robes came out cool too. Love that Celestra Grey!

Anyway thanks bud! I appreciate it!  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #941 on: November 13, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
Such smooth and rich colors. Almost tasty if it were a snack. Vibrant to say the least and a presence that's so alluring who wouldn't want to take him on in battle. You're blending has moved you to a new level in your skills. Watching your talent grow thru the past few years has been so nice to watch. You definitely deserve your title brother.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #942 on: November 15, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »
@Dread- Hey thanks so much for the kind words buddy, it really means a lot. All the great feedback from you and the rest of the gang has been a huge inspiration. Besides my brother I don't have any buds that I get to talk 40k with so seriously thank you man, its such a huge part of my hobby.

@Everybody- Hey gang so back with another mini-update. Got some paint on my first Tartaros Assault Terminator and while not finished with him I’m very happy with the results. Wish I could better photos because the blending gets washed out on the hammer… so you cant really see the blending but I’m very happy with the result in real life if not in the photos. Still gotta work out what kind of heraldry I’m going to employ. The checkers, battle-honors etc. but I’m gonna continue to think on it while I get all the basic work done. Anyway guys hope you enjoy.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:09:41 PM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #943 on: November 15, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
I literally just saw your photos of this guy on Facebook and I was just about to message you!
The model is looking absolutely sick, you've done real justice to the imposing look of the model!
Once again your base paint scheme just looks so beautifully clean and the highlighting is spot on. I love the warmer tones used on the Hammer, they suit the colour scheme really well.
As for Heraldry I think the Red would certainly not look out of place on the model, it certainly wouldn't be overpowering. I would stick with the White chequers though, they look so good on your other units.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #944 on: November 16, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »
Thanks so much AP. Really, super stoked you like him. Being a huge fan of your Ravenguard and all that you've done with them it means a lot. Really glad you like the hammer in particular.. that was my "risky" move I wasn't sure if people would like... especially considering these crappy photos! Arghh! For whatever reason its super hard for my camera to pick up on all the red/orange blending I do. Of all the colors to wash out it has to be red!? Oh well. Very very glad you like him.

Glad you agree on the White Checkers. In the latest FW art the checkers are red on the Cataphractii, but as both you and me are not fans... to hell with the Cataphractii! Still undecided though my brother who is always pushing to go to the extreme think the checkers wont fit on the model except perhaps on the legs. I haven't even touched the shield so perhaps there. Really gonna take my time and experiment. Anyway thanks AP you are the best!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #945 on: November 17, 2016, 02:20:40 AM »
That hammer really sets him off. Has a real "bring it!" Vibe. Is the black supposed to be original Deathwing? It's funny how pictures don't show a lot of the layering and shading work we do but we know it's there.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #946 on: November 17, 2016, 05:21:27 AM »
It's the Thunder Hammer that makes the model for me.  That fiery orange looks electrified and has this sparking aura to it, making an excellent contrast with the black power armour.  Great work.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #947 on: November 17, 2016, 07:16:44 AM »
@Dread- Thanks man, that hammer had me sweating bullets. Being the first model, going with the fiery glow with plasma filaments really had me worried. Never tried it before and trying it on my ultra expensive FW models was real nerve wracking. I was so happy when I finished, and so stoked to share but when the photos came out all crappy I was disheartened, but so glad its come across well to my online buds. Also yep 30k Dark Angels rocked all black armor across all 6 wings (The Hexagramaton as its called in 30k) Death, Raven, Iron, Dread, Storm and Fire.

@Irisado- Hey thanks Irisado really glad you like this guy. Especially the hammer... I wanted to keep the palette warm for these guys, help differentiate them from the Ravenguard etc. Also most people tend to rock their power weapons, plasma weapons et. al in glowy blue so when my guys are fighting in melee or whatever, they'll look diametrically opposed. Also gives the vibe that the Dark Angels use obscure variant technology that they keep secret from the other Legions.

Anyway thanks Irisado, really glad you like him!

@Everybody- Hey guys so the hobby progress has slowed a bit as I rock through this Emperor's Children commission. Managed to steal a little time to work on my Scorpions, so when they are finished I'll make sure to update. Also! Kill Team this weekend so except a Battle Report. I'm also gonna pick up the new Campaign Book from GW real soon as me and my brother get closer to that Scorpion82 territory where we have a number of armies ready to go.

I've been hearing the lure of Chaos again... and may perhaps flesh them out as the first Bad Guy army. Thinking about giving them a special Campaign Detachment to give them fearless under certain circumstances to keep them a bit more competitive. Also I love Daemons and want to paint them again.

Anyway guys thanks for all the feedback and stay tuned. More on the way soon.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #948 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »
That Tartaros Terminator is stunning Cav. Just stunning. The colours are universally rich, and the hammer really sets off the mini wonderfully well. I don't know why you're worrying about the blending on the hammer. If it's better than the photo, and the photo looks really sweet...well, that suggests you've done a pretty darn good job!

Also, what a fantastic canvas to work on! Those Forge World sculpts are just amazing. It must have been a pleasure to paint.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #949 on: November 21, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
Hey Loosh, thanks so much man. Really glad you dig the model and especially the hammer. Yeah I know I was really fretting over the look of the hammer, its just such a difference between RL and the photo and I get frustrated when all my red and orange highlights (especially on my Eldar) disappear. But if you guys like em I shouldn't complain!

Yes the models are just amazing... so much detail, so many awesome shaped and lines in the armor. Really one of the best FW sculpts in my opinion. Just amazing stuff. Thanks so much Loosh it really means a lot. Really close to finishing my Scorpions so I can dive back into my DA full steam! Thanks again bud its really appreciated

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #950 on: November 23, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
Hey gang... so I'm back with a MEGA update  ;D

So I managed to get in a game of Kill Team with my brother last weekend and we had a great time. I wish I had sat down to do a proper bat-rep sooner because it was a good game. Now its mostly a haze in my mind but I can give you the highlights.

My brother had like 10x Veterans with 3x Plasma. Plus a Special Weapons team of 5 guys and 3x Rattling Snipers.

I had 5 Scorpions + Exarch with Claw and 5 Dire Avengers + Exarch.

It was very tough being outranged and outnumbered as I was. Especially with the Rattlings deployed in the middle of the board. So my Scorpions hugged cover and made their way towards the Guardsmen while the Avengers hung back tried to remove the Rattlings and then give support fire after I had cleared the middle of the board. I succeeded in doing this, and even getting the Scorpion Exarch into combat, but I lost too many guys and on Turn 5 I had to take a break test as I'd lost half of my guys and I passed all but one of my tests on my brothers turn. Then I failed ALL of my tests after that in my own! It sucked! I was ready to pounce on all the objectives and win if the game had ended. Yet alas it was not to be.

Definitely a good lesson for me. Poor list building on my part and I didn't factor in the Big Break Test while playing... you can't play a game of attrition in kill team! Well at least it was a good time.

Also... I FINALLY finished my second squad of Scorpions and I'm super stoked. Really happy with how they came out and they stand out nicely from the original squad. But also blend in well at the same time. So happy to be able to field 2 units of these guys... just need to get a new unit of bikes to fully update my Shining Spears and my Assault Aspect Host will be complete. Check em out!

Also... work continues on my Dark Angel Terminators. All the bits have been clipped, trimmed, filed and cleaned. All the legs are glued onto their bases and I've begun assembling the first guy who'll probably be the Sergent. Did a little bit of green stuffing to get his shield facing dead on, looking like a great shield ramming maneuver. Really happy with how these guys are coming out too.

Anyways guys thats what I've been working on. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:55:37 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #951 on: November 24, 2016, 06:28:01 AM »
Wonderful photos from the Kill Team battle.  The skirmish nature of that game means that there are great opportunities for photo shots of models sniping from windows and peering around corners.  Those ruins of yours look even better in photos like those.  You've really done such a good job with all the terrain work.

The Striking Scorpions have turned out really well.  They are an excellent fit for your force.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #952 on: November 24, 2016, 07:42:32 AM »
Thanks Irisado. Really glad you enjoy all the terrain and whatnot as much as you do. Thats really my brothers doing. He's great at setting everything up and making the actual pieces. I just do the painting (but it takes a long, long time). I'm actually working on a whole new batch of barrels, sandbags and some low ruined brick walls. Its really gonna add a lot to the board in general. I want to play Cities of Death SUPER bad so we need that stuff and some more buildings, which we've been dying to get for the longest time.

Thanks about the Scorpions too. Wow it felt like it took forever to get them finished but I'm glad their done. Glad you like how they came out, I'm happy with them myself. Cannot WAIT to field them alongside their battle-bro in squad number 1. It should be a blast.

Thanks as always Irisado!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #953 on: November 24, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »
Holy moly Cavalier that has got to be singularly one of the best posts I have seen on this Forum. As Irisado has said everything in your pictures is mind blowingly awesome. The terrain, the models, the photo's and the mat just look brilliant. The edge highlighting on your Scorpions is so clean it makex me wonder if you have done it with a highlighter pen which is a trick I believe some painters use. I am not sure if it is a compliment or not but I really like the Dark Eldar look that your Scorpions has.

Are the photo's just for effect or did you play the Kill Team game on a 6 x 4 Board?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:36:38 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #954 on: November 25, 2016, 07:20:25 AM »
Hey Alienscar, thanks so much for the kind words. Really means a lot man, thank you. Thanks for the compliments on the terrain... I mentioned this before but my brother is the main architect behind all that. Painting them is really easy (though very tedious) but its the awesome way he built them, arranges them on the board and does all the scatter terrain (barrels, sandbags, etc) that makes it come to life. Still its very much appreciated as I certainly helped out on finishing them.

Thanks too about my Scorpions. Really glad you like them and really glad they came out nice. On a couple of squads I've done in the past (like the third Avenger squad I did with Corsair helmets and white stones) the paint jobs didn't come out as good as I'd like. I think I rushed a bit. But with these guys I went super slow and I'm really happy I did that because I love playing them. As for my highlights no I didn't use one of those cool Gundam paint pens (I should try though to some runes!) I did it the old fashioned way. The key is the beautiful Eshin Grey paint from GW... Its such a breeze to work with and its so close to black, but still stands out at the same time. Its really easy to shape the highlight if its a bit too thick so its very forgiving. Anyone looking for a nice easy paint job that'll stand out I recommend doing an army with Black armor, Eshin Grey 1st highlight and Dawnstone as the final. It always looks sharp.

As for the Kill Team board, we just marked off a 4x4 area on our big table. We just set up terrain outside the 4x4 area to make it look cool :)

Anyway thanks Alienscar for the kind words. Truly appreciated bud and thanks for stopping by :) :) :)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #955 on: November 26, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
I love those Scorpions so much, the models are great but your painting really makes them.
I have to echo the black/eshin grey/dawnstone combination. Although I drybrush the highlights and then use a nuln oil wash over the top, gives the model an aged feel to it.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #956 on: November 27, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »
Thanks Auric, really glad you dig them. But wow... didn't know thats how you do your Ravens. I gotta try that out... Now that you described it I can totally see how you did it. Definitely gonna give that a go on a test model and see if I want to adopt it on my DA. Its not my usual style but I like that grittier look... fascinating. Gotta make sure I pester you with more questions on how you achieved certain looks. Thanks for sharing bud. Fascinating!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #957 on: November 28, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »
Please do Cav!
I am a long way off your painting skills but if there is ever anything I've painted etc that you are curious about then please drop me a post/message. Always happy to explain!  8)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #958 on: December 1, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
@Auric- Thanks bud I definitely will. Thanks again :)

@Everybody- Hey gang so work slowly continues.... on my Dark Angels! 2nd of the Hammer Bros. is almost complete. Still need to figure out what I'm gonna do in terms of his shield. I gotta figure out more details on Crusade-Era Deathwing...

I know about the Crossed Swords (like Disciples of Caliban) being the Deathwing company badge, but I want to go beyond that too. Not sure what though... hopefully the new book I picked up will help!

My brother and I LOVE attacker defender style play and after watching a fantastic review by Scorpion82 I decided I had to get this book. The simplified versions of Planetstrike (which seems the best to me), Stronghold Assault and Cities of Death are perfect. Tons of missions, a new campaign system, with benefits for victories is fantastic. I love how you can play the missions solo, or link them for a mini Planetstrike/Cities of Death etc. campaign, or a campaign encompassing all three styles of play. Fantastic!

To that end my brother and I recently picked up some new terrain. More barrels, sandbags, ammo dumps and sections of broken wall. Not quite finished with all of it but getting there!

Anyways guys thats it for now. Hope you enjoy. Stay tuned and please share your thoughts. Thanks and talk soon!

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #959 on: December 2, 2016, 05:21:24 AM »
The barrels and the sandbags are very impressive.  The colours look just right and fit with the rest of your terrain very well.

The black paint work on those Deathwing has turned out superbly, and those hammers look even more impressive every time I see them.