News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Kommandos! How do you use yours?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
Kommandos! How do you use yours?
« on: February 2, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »
I'm looking at adding some Kommandos to my army but am unsure how they are best deployed.
Snikrot seems good but is quite expensive, I like a power klaw nob for tank busting, 2x burnas seems a must, minimum squad, maximum squad, somewhere in the middle.
With all these thoughts running through my head I though I'd ask how other people field theirs and what kind of success has been had.

Offline Teej

• Orkscribe
  • I know where da best fightin' iz
Re: Kommandos! How do you use yours?
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
I have tried running Kommandos in many forms.

Very Popular is the Snik/Dual Burna combo. While coming in on any board edge is awesome...and worthy of using your WAAAGH!,  I find I can rarely keep him alive past the turn he gets out of that first close combat. He is an expensive upgrade, but if you are paying for Burnas, he is well worth it.

My favorite way to run them however has recently been as a true to form harassment unit. I slap 10-15 Kommandos with a Big Choppa Nob and 2 big shootas and throw them in reserve to outflank. The unit is barely over 100 points at 10 strong. With stikkbombs already attached, the unit can be a threat to most vehicles in assault (and the BC adds the equivalent of 3 more boys for 5 points)

The big shoota has the range that if you come up on the wrong side of the table, you can still get some use out of the squad, especially pot-shotting rear vehicle armor.

I try to combine assaults with boyz squads, or get my hands on their dakka units. Keep them cheap and they will surprise you.

*edit* Spelling
« Last Edit: February 2, 2011, 08:41:04 AM by Teej »

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
Kommandos deserve thier own tactica, but I'll try to sum it up some of the key ways to use them.

First and formost, Snikrot is amazing.  There will be times to not use him, but imo if you are going to put a kommando squad in your list, he should be there.  In an army that is full of maybe's and lucky dice rolls (SAG guns andWierdboyz) snikky is a garrantee.  He comes in where you want him to from any table edge.  He's tactically amazing as far as options he provides, and your opponent knows this and it will force his hand when he deploys, and how he fields his army after.

Having said that.  One of the number one rules for making a competitive list is redundency.  If something is worth taking, it should be worth taking two of.  Snikrot is unique so you only get one. 

As for how I field them, I take two paths depending on if I'm playing against a static or a mechanized mobile list. 

Against a static list, I'll tend to take a amaller squad as I know he'll be able to get in from some edge and assault the turn he comes into play.  I'm not worried about survivability as he's going to come in and one shot his target.  He's an ork assassin.  If it's a static guard list, I might go bigger just to deal with those huge combined platoons.  Burnas are a must.  If it's infantry, I can template them.  If it's MEQ then I can power weapon through it. 

If I'm playing against a mech list (which happens a lot since I started playing snikky), I tend to go big.  I want to be able to come in from a table edge and get to cover.  Hopefully he will have left me a target, but normally a mech list will consolidate and make sure nothing is within the 12" assault range he has from table edge.  The extra bodies lets him move into cover hopefully, and then just flank what hopefully the rest of your army is already attacking in the coming turns.  I like big shootas in this rig like Teej because you have a good chance of still affecting the outcome even if you can't come in somewhere with a target.  If it's MEQ, you may still want the burnas as when you get into CC everyone can wound allocate away from them (snikky included) so that they get all thier power weapon attacks available.

Offline Blood Fist

• Win, Lose? It's about getting our hands dirty.
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »
I like to use a 12 ork squad with 2 rokkits.  This squad isn't always as effective as I like when they come in to fight.  But I notice the idea of a squad with 2 rokkits prevents the opponent from deploying heavy support from the safety of his rear.  With those nasty heavy supports more up front, they are more likely to feel the wrath of my main army and my heavy support.  Since I usually fight my brothers Tau, my kommados are more like a Etheral hit squad.

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
I'd take snikrot every time.  Orks have plenty of better fast mobs to hit flanks or outflank.  Coming on from the rear board edge is something almost noone can do, totally alters enemy deployment.

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
I use snikrot and 11 kommandos (2 of which have burnas)  This is a very effective unit for the points cost and always keeps my opponent on their toes.  It always messes with my opponents deployment and they always over-estimate them.