News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fighting Harlies, I need help?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Sword

• I fight for the Emperor in all things
Fighting Harlies, I need help?
« on: December 12, 2003, 08:53:35 AM »
Hey fellow eldaronliners, i have a tiny problem, recently i have had a new gamer to my gaming circle and he brought the challenge of a new army i had never played before, and rather than find out how the army played out of the rule book by getting my arse kicked i asked you helpful people, with much sucess using your advice and my own general rules for how i play i whooped his spiky bloodsoaked butt, thanx again,

but now i need more help, the same player is starting a harlies army and i have nooooooooooooooo clue how they fight them. All i know is they have a cover save and are faster than a imperial guard when the commisar ain't looking.  So tell me how to beat them please or at least how they play so it's an even battle. I play both smurfs and eldar and hould like advice for both
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 06:52:16 AM by Rasmus »
The way of the warrior, the old code should govern all my actions.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
Re: Harlies, I need help?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:58:35 AM »
 :o That was the hardest thing I have ever had to read, and that includes my german reading test!

If you have any spare time [i.e. now!] , sort it out into sentences please!

As for what you are asking, have a read over this list, and you can see how they work from there.

You will need acrobat reader.

Jonik
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Sword

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 09:00:22 AM »
Sorry about the sentences it's the pain of Dylexia i'll mod it now
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 09:03:02 AM by Sword »

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 09:06:32 AM »
Sorry if I sounded rude, but it was a real pain to read.

Have you looked through the codex?
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 03:02:41 PM »
  Well, you play Eldar, right?
  Assuming you do, try to take Shadow Weavers, as they will ignore saves, and will insta-kill charaters, all while being barrage.
  A unit of Reapers always helps, especialy with an Exarch with FS and an EML to put down two plasma templates a turn.
  Try to mob him down with numbers, as you should outnumber him greatly.  Whenever possible, shoot at him over assualt, and when you do assualt, try to outnumber him around 2 to 1.

Offline Von Lazuli

• What happened to my hat?!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 04:54:14 AM »
Killing Harlequins, not something i advocate strongly but anyway...

Blast weapons are good, Shadow Weavers have already been suggested. Acctually general shooting does well.

Kill the solitare! He will cause you no end of pain!

Also place units of gaurdians covering areas of cover that they move through so nicely. Shurikats mow down harles real bad.

Hope that helps,

Lazuli
If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

Offline EightyEight

• The Santa hat is here to stay.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 08:12:54 AM »
Well, let me say if you face the Solitaire (the small, scary guy with no face) in close combat, he will WHIP any assault troops until there's nothing left (this is from personal experience). Shoot him down. Any blast weapon kills Harlequins like flys, so take a lot.

If he deploys a fighty squad in a Venom and gets the first turn, say good night, 'cos they can charge 36+D6" in that thing in one turn!

Generally, stay out of combat (that is where the Harlis excel) and shoot him to little bitty brightly coloured pieces on the ground... course, they do have some nasssty weapons... so even these guys can improvise a shooty army, and out shoot you...

Don't worry, experience helps...  ;D ;)
Are we as offensive as we might be?

Offline Sword

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 07:16:24 AM »
Well i was looking for some more inspired tactics than shoot the, i also don't see how you can use blast weapons effectivly with their dispursed movement thing you know the 4" thing

Offline EightyEight

• The Santa hat is here to stay.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 07:21:37 AM »
Well, there wil not generally be many of the buggers, as they are over 20 points each, and the characters are really expensive. Also, charging first is a good thing.

You might want to use flamers, as they are a longer template, so will usually fit more guys under it. I once had a whole squad of Harlis bunched up to fit into an objective area, and up comes my friend's Dreadnought and WHOOSH takes out the whole squad. I lost that battle. If you ever find Harlequins grouped up, then do not waste the chance.
Are we as offensive as we might be?

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 12:35:13 PM »
Hey fellow eldaronliners, i have a tiny problem, recently i have had a new gamer to my gaming circle and he brought the challenge of a new army i had never played before, and rather than find out how the army played out of the rule book by getting my arse kicked i asked you helpful people, with much sucess using your advice and my own general rules for how i play i whooped his spiky bloodsoaked butt, thanx again,

but now i need more help, the same player is starting a harlies army and i have nooooooooooooooo clue how they fight them. All i know is they have a cover save and are faster than a imperial guard when the commisar ain't looking.  So tell me how to beat them please or at least how they play so it's an even battle. I play both smurfs and eldar and hould like advice for both

Hmm, well, I haven't played with my Saim-Hann for a while now and I certainly haven't played with a standard eldar list for at least 5 years so my ideas will be slightly theoretical.

Overall I would suggest that you take the iniative in the battle instead of just sitting back and shooting at what presents itself. Despite the fact that Harlequins are fast, in some if not most areas the Eldar list has the potential to be faster and you can definitely out shoot him in close quarters.

Some ideas:

1. How about a large unit (9 perhaps) of striking scorpions including an exarch with crushing blow and stealth. Deploy close to the harlequins and in cover. You should be a very tempting target if the unit appears to be unsupported. If assaulted like they probably will be in turn one or two you will be striking at initiative 10, hitting on 5's and killing on 2's and 3's.

2. Perhaps some warp spiders, even a unit of 5 would be a good distraction for the harlequins. I'm sure you know how to use warp spiders just make sure you use the second jump to get behind impassable terrain not just difficult terrain.

3. Swooping hawks might be good, actualy very good. Again I'm sure you don't need me to tell you why.

4. How about trying the never used unit (shining spears) as a counter assult unit. 9 Guardians and a Warlock with embolden in a wave serpent speed towards the harlequins, deploy shoot, next turn get assulted but thanks to the warlock stay in combat. In your turn 4 shining spears (200 points) assult the harlequins. You might want to try it with a unit of 20 guardians and a warlock (not in a wave serpent obviously) against larger units of harlequins just to make sure you keep them in combat.

Finally just a thought about what weapon to give any wave serpents. I would go for scatter lasers, basically because they will go through venoms like autocannons through rhinos, wound harlequins on a 2+, instant kill harle characters and will even harm harle wraithlords.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 12:55:17 PM by Luckyshot13 »
Fear not the death brothers, for she is old and slow, and will never catch the wildrider host

Translator's note: Saim-Hann is pronounced Sam Hine (not Same Han)
Inquisitor's Note: Translators should learn more respect for their masters.

Offline Sword

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 06:24:19 AM »
OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAYY YYYYYYYYYYY

So know i know how to kill them but i keep hearing instant kill character this and that but don't they all have a +4 cover save

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 06:30:08 AM »
Yes they do, but that won't help them against a powerfist, for instance. Also, any wapon with igh enough S will isntakill a harlequin multi-wound character. They tend to fail the coversave every once in a while. Also, blasts negate the holo-suit save, so ordnance takes care of them, if you are scared of them.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Sword

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 06:33:18 AM »
Thanx Rasmus, i only have onme more question i was looking at the lst and although i see that harlies are close combat to the max, they also can pull out ALOT! of fire power when the need comes, how do i combat this with smurfs as i can hold my fire bases agaisnt them preety well with eldar. I feel my Smurfs would not be able to give enough effective fire if they ranged me out of the 24" kill zone.
Code: [Select]

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 06:42:45 AM »
You have to count on them having to come to you, and strike at them as they approach. Same with Khorne, you know. The few things left behind to pound out firepower you have to hunt with your own fast units, like assault marines and landspeeders.

Offline Sword

Re: Fighting Harlies, I need help?
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 07:47:56 AM »
But not if they field 9 death jester, i mean a totally shooty army, with venoms flipping about all over the place

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
Re: Fighting Harlies, I need help?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003, 07:50:06 AM »
Then you can assault him with your assaultmarines, use landspeeders to flame them, and so on. Remember that a heavy bolter takes down a venom if he isn't careful with them.