News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread  (Read 32682 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread
« Reply #120 on: March 2, 2011, 01:53:45 AM »
Wow the end of april for our february vow...   I might need to add to mine a bit. 

I am going to add a squad of 3 killa kans with grotzookas.  I may have to add more as I really kicked some butt with the boyz tonight got them all washed and now all that is missing is fine details and basing.  *hopefully can get them done this weekend*

I got my deff rolla for my battlewagon today so I assembled and magnatized that for the battlewagon as well. 

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #121 on: March 2, 2011, 02:06:34 AM »
pssssst... It's the 31st of march, mr Sanguinius cleared that up earlier this week :)

oh and more pictures everyone! let's rumble!
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #122 on: March 2, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »
No matter.  With the headway I made with the shoota boyz they should be done this weekend.  Gives me plenty of time to paint up the killa kans. 

Offline evildrcheese

• Suffer not the witch to live.
  • Armies: Blood Angels, Sisters of Battle
« Reply #123 on: March 2, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

I know I promised update pics by last weekend, but I've been unexpectedly busy with work related things and my degree  :( The good news though is that I have managed to get some painting done (infact I've nearly finished my 2nd assault squad!) I just haven't found the time to get some snaps and get them on here but I will by the end of this weekend coming (Sunday 6th) - I will also post pics of ALL my finished units, so you'll get to see the SoB strand of the army list.

I'll spend the rest of feb putting together my honour guard, as I’m going to magnetise all the members so that I have do weapon swaps and have optional jump/backpacks.  ;D

Watch this space

D

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #124 on: March 6, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
Got a lot of painting time last week and then got to finish up the shoota boyz squad this weekend.

Here are some pics...   next it is onto my killa kans (which are now sitting on my painting table)

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #125 on: March 7, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
@AoD:
wow.... Thats dedication :P seriously, i have 20 boyz to paint at the moment and i just cant be bothered. Other projects keep getting in the way :/

On another note, im now doing commisions! which are taking time away from my regular armies...
Currently:
One Eldar terrain peice with a Falcon (?) gravtank, 6 guardians and a heavy weapon thingy
One Dark Angels Librarian
One Imperial Guard CCS when its delivered :)

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #126 on: March 8, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
Hello,

An update! From me! Yes, I was surprised too.

As promised, some pics of my 2nd Assault Squad, and also 2 Squads of Sisters of Battle that I had painted previously, but are part of my army...I've just realised the pics are a tad dark, but we'll pretend it's nighttime, as I can't be arsed to take more pics as I want to squeeze in a bit of painting before the night is over. Anyway...Enjoy!

D

Squad 1

Canoness (HQ Choice)

Squad 2

Squads 1 & 2 transports

Second Assault squad (WIP)

UPDATE: 17/03/2011

NEW PICS!

I was going to say that I've finished my second assault squad, but I realised looking at the pictures that I haven't painted the mouth grill on the helmets black...so they're 99% done.

New Squad!

All together now

Also, here's a sneak peak on what I'm working on...it's got magnets...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:14:55 PM by evildrcheese »

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
Update on my WIP Killa Kans for this vow...  Still got some work to do but they are coming along pretty well.   I also based all my kommandos.

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2011, 03:12:01 AM »
@angel of death
Nice Kans! They look properly weathered, very orky too.

Have been spending what free hours I have (which is less than I wanted), but there's some progress. The sternguard are shaping up nicely, but I am a little worried on the vehicles. I suppose one could knock vehicles out fast enough with a big brush. With my birthday coming up soon, it's going to be interesting to see if I can get all of this done.

Excpect some WIP pictures soon!
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:06 AM »
Just FYI no progress has been made for myself due to school etc.

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2011, 02:20:01 PM »
state of the tacticals:

Sternguard and vindicator:

No more time to type, time to pick up that brush!

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
Awesome guys, as usual you are makin me feel insignificant :P
Real life kinda got in the way again this month but i have been painting (pics to prove it coming tomorrow!)

Anyway:
@ Crit: white recipie please :) i keep trying but mine always comes out looking kinda meh.

@AoD again: good god man! where do you find the time to paint all that? and to such a good standard too!

@Cheese: cool marines man, cant really comment beyond what i said before :)
However, the SoB... Do you own the St. Celestine model? because im currently painitng it as a gift and didnt realise she was such a be-atch to get together! Help?

Keep it up!

{GMS}

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »
@angel of death
Nice Kans! They look properly weathered, very orky too.

They just started being weathered...   I did the wash on the exposed metal parts..   and a few more details..  then i gotta do some pigment weathering as well.  Should be able to get them done on Monday... probably not based though as I want to do something cool for their base yet don't have an idea for them yet....  I finally got my smaller bases based and like how they turned out.. I just want some different details on the bigger bases.

You do an excellent job on white.  Do you use GW paints?  I never get a good effect when doing whites my substitute now is to use either space wolves grey (which is almost a very light blue hint but looks white) or fortress grey.  Depending what other colors are on the model it gives a very fake white appearance but has worked a lot better for me then going a beige white like bleached bone.  or trying to use dreaded skull white which IMHO is only good for an add to lighten a color. 

@AoD again: good god man! where do you find the time to paint all that? and to such a good standard too!

I paint a little at a time.  Here and there an hour or two.. sometimes longer when I am in the mood.  I got about 2 hours or so left to finish the brush work on the kans.. which I should be able to get in on monday...   I don't expect to base them.. unless i come up with an idea by then but I am thinking it will be a little while for that.

I got all my bitz in to be able to construct my Nob Bikers...  so I will probably start building them...

Not sure what all projects to take on for our next vow....
I got my ard boyz staring me down as the only built things still sitting in black primer (for the longest amount of time since priming) with no love yet.  But I went and primed my Nob boyz on foot squad, my warboss w/ choppa, my battlewagon with Deff rolla, and.....  my Stompa...

My schedule looks to be a bit free in April compared to the last few months...  So I am counting on getting some painting done...  I gave myself a lot of options.  I just gotta decide if i want to stay practical and do my warboss, 25 other boyz, and 20 some ard boyz..(which will set me good with the basic army I play...   or if I want to tackle that Stompa due to me having a lot more paint time than normal and that should make it better for a large project...   Looking down the road I might not get the free time to tackle the Stompa for a few months if I don't attempt it next month.....   Decisions... decisions

Offline evildrcheese

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
@Cheese: cool marines man, cant really comment beyond what i said before :)
However, the SoB... Do you own the St. Celestine model? because im currently painitng it as a gift and didnt realise she was such a be-atch to get together! Help?
I do own that model, but it's still in it's blister box...So I can't help you I'm afraid!

In other news I've assembled my Honour Guard, and 2 Sanguinary Priests.

All models can swap their weapons and also their backpacks for jump packs. I can post more pics of the magnet-y bits if anyone’s interested.

I'm gonna pledge my 2 Sanguinary Priests and my Sanguinary Novitiate, from the honour guard for April, here's some pics of the assembled Honour Guard/Priests:

Priest 1:

Priest 2:

Sanguinary Novitiate

Guard 1:

Guard 2:

Guard 3:

Guard 4:

Oh, also the boss is here, but he won't be getting painted for a while...

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
Here is the 2nd part of my vow for March...  My grotzooka killa kans.

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
well the Elfs are taking a SERIOUS backseat at the mo due to that bane of painting time known as Real Life :-[

However, i did get a model done  :o

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #136 on: April 4, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
Excellent stuff all round guys! The cans make me want to buy orks. And the sisters make me want to figure out a colour scheme for the squad I have lying around... *must... stay... focussed...*

I'm sort of amazed I got my stuff done on time. I'll be taking some good pictures in daylight in a day or two.

White recipe:
Prime white
Thin coat of kommando khaki (possibly 2 thin coats)
Wash the recesses with a mix of badab black and devlan mud wash.
Spot of komando khaki+vallejo off white (1-3 thin layers, increasing amounts of white in there)
1-2 thin layers of pure white at the highest spots - hard edge highlights at the most light touching edges.

The off white can be replaced by mixing kommando khaki and gw white. I have also been experimenting a little with using little bits of painting medium to make my paint flow more and leave less brush strokes. Either way, hope that helps.

I actually played a game this saturday, I'm going to pen up a battle report with some pictures, stay tuned for that.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #137 on: April 7, 2011, 05:54:07 PM »
For my 3rd Vow I plan on completing my 25 slugga boyz w/ Nob and my warboss w/ big choppa.

My ard boyz seem angry at me but I forgot I have a trip planned for the end of this month so will be more limited on time then I originally thought.

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #138 on: April 8, 2011, 02:05:01 AM »
*nods* Yes, we should keep this going a bit more.

I'll go light after last month's painting bonanza. (more pics incomming, I promise!). Perhaps I'll paint a speeder, or maybe I'll just try and make some of last month's stuff fiddly bits a lot better. Hmmm...

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #139 on: April 8, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
I vow to finish my three orks in eavy armor and my looted chimera.