News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: hills  (Read 2555 times)

Offline johnboyire

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
hills
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
Anyone know a good store for hill/ mountain terrain?  Nothing fancy just something reasonably priced thanks

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: hills
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »
Have you ever considered making your own?

Actually here's a really cheap idea; back when I had a gaming mat (the old roll up thing with dusty static grass) we'd make hills by sticking books under it.  Worked brilliantly.  If you have a mat try that!

I know GW now do plastic hills but they're probably not cheap.

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »
buy some 1" or 2" pink rigid insulation....

cut it into hill shapes.
cut each level a little smaller, leaving a flat ledge to place figures at each level -- or don't for a difficult or impassable terrain

Paint in greys or browns for deep accents (NOT spray paint!!!!)
then cover in white glue
sprinkle the "turf" green stuff into the glue.
a few patches of static grass makes a nice accent
cover sections in playground sand and pebbles for a rocky edge.

Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »
If you decide to go the foam route, what I would recommend is Owens Corning Foam Insulation, which is the pink and blue foam commonly used by various modelers.  This is a quick example of a cutting I did in about an hour

(the two Dire Avengers are there for scale purposes.)

A non 40k example with some paint on it, is this WIP from a couple prop pieces I built for a show last year

(each was a 4x6 foot prop simulated to look like giant stone tablets handed down from God with the rules of theater engraved upon them and carried by an actor portraying Moses)

Both of these projects are from 1 inch thick Owens Corning Insulation boards that were originally 8x6 foot and sold for 35 at Home Depot.  Call around or check website inventories of the hardware stores in your area if you end up being serious about wanting to go this route for hills, in some areas (like here in SoCal) very few stores actually have it in stock.

It isn't hard to use and it looks really nice all painted up, the hard part is of course the cutting, all I had was the good old pocket knife, but I've seen some interesting hot wire cutters that make it a breeze.  As Kindred mentioned do NOT use spray paint, as the solvents in the aerosol will not only eat up the foam but release highly toxic fumes. 

Hope that helps you out johnboyire!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »
Definitely foam insulation. Even GW's how to make terrain book recommends it.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
If you can't find, or don't want to use foam (some people can't stand the squeaking or the mess it makes) but still want to go the DIY route, you could also use corrugated cardboard (i.e. standard cardboard boxes for moving, storage, etc). Just cut your hill shape out a few times to get the desired thickness, stick them together, and use spackle or some other filler to cover the exposed cardboard edges. (You can bevel the edges for a better slope first if you want.)

Since cardboard is somewhat flimsy (even the corrugated stuff), for better durability, two things really help:

1) Alternate layer facings. By this I mean cut the first layer so the corrugation goes side to side, the second so it goes front to back (90 degree angle from the first layer), and then alternate as you go up. This makes the hill's structure quite a bit sturdier and less likely to bend or break.

2) Base your hills on thin MDF board or other thin but strong wood material. A good sturdy base makes nearly any terrain piece much more durable.

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
not much squeaking and very little mess if you use a hot knife with the rigid foam, instead of a serrated knife. :)
Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
hot wire cutters are also pretty easy to buy or make. Woodland Scenics makes one, but if you can find a decent transformer and 26ga nichrome (and stuff to hold it together, of course), you can make your own. Mine resembles a scrollsaw and has a rip fence that I clamp on; needed it to cut large blocks.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »
Yeah, I know. I use lots of foam. But I know people who won't, and some people can't seem to find it in their area and for some reason can't/won't order online, so I tossed the suggestion out there. :)