News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar - thoughts?  (Read 15514 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Age of Sigmar - thoughts?
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
These Stormcast Eternal models are pretty sweet. 

I might get the rules at least, to check it out.  Does the Warhammer world still exist by the way?  I did always like it.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 12:31:08 PM »
If I wanted to use Sanguinary Guard, and didn't like those models, those flying Sigmarines would fit the bill.

Looks like there are two armies that you could cross-play now. Daemons, and Sigmarines. Magnetize a back pack, and a weapon, and you'd be laughing.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »
If I wanted to use Sanguinary Guard, and didn't like those models, those flying Sigmarines would fit the bill.

Looks like there are two armies that you could cross-play now. Daemons, and Sigmarines. Magnetize a back pack, and a weapon, and you'd be laughing.

These are pretty much how I picture Marines would look if they were designed today and not the mid 80s.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 04:14:35 AM »
We played 2 games tonight. I have to say it was pretty fun. We used wounds as a building platform. Worked pretty good. The "there is only 4 pages of rules" thing is wrong tho, every scroll adds to that, haha. But by doing that, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It's different but when my brother, who would never play fantasy other then warhammer quest, asks me to teach him, well that spoke to me. I was really on the fence about this NEW way but after being able to teach my brother and my nephew, well I'm in as of now. I did notice lots of ways that it can be abused but hope that players use common sense when playing. Yes I have this model and I've never taken it, now I can will be a great response. Not I have this model and will slaughter you and the neighbors with it.
It has also gotten my brother to take his painted collections out and start playing and have more fun other than painting. But now my Nagash will finally be brought to the table and I will fluff what goes with him.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 02:03:54 AM »
I just read two summarizations of the End Times story (The End Times - Warhammer Wiki and The End Times - 1d4chan) and i really got the feeling that George R. R. Martin has had his hand in the writing...

Well maybe there will be a new army in 40k now: Dinosaurs... IN SPACE

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
Played my first two games with the Age of Sigma rules, and I've got to say it's a lot of fun. Bought my friends Tomb Kings army off him, so we played some 75 wound games based on the restrictions in that article I posted earlier. Both games were close, but I made some really dumb mistakes which cost me both games. The order you attack with models in close combat is really important.

I was running a tomb king, liche priest, casket of souls, a unit of 20 skeleton archers, 6 chariots and a necrosphinx. In both games I summoned in a unit of skeleton warriors and a unit of horse archers.

He had the Vermin Lord, grey seer on a bell, a few rat ogres and a unit of around 30 clanrats.

I cannot wait to get more games in!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »
I am planning to have a game with my brother this friday, using the same rules, skaven vs. woodies. 75 wounds. I am going to field a treeman ancient, 3 treekin, 16 drayads and 2 branchwraiths. I have to admit i am a bit exited about the game, also my first warhammer battle in years, since i didnt like 8th ed. much.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
I'm really coming around to Age Of Sigmar now, with the more I read I about it.  Mostly because it just seems easier to play.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
I dont know if its really easier to play. Sure the core rules got trimmed to the barest minimum, but all the army and unit specific spezial rules, that GW tried to streamline over the last 2 editions into the core rules, are now on the warscrolls. But i expect the games to be faster, since now you are basically running a bunch of skirmishers, so you dont need to plan your moves as well in advance as before, when you had to really be carefull how you move your regiments and monsters. 

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2015, 05:29:20 AM »
Had my game yesterday. We where playing Woodies vs. Skaven (perstilence and eshin). I have the feeling that especially larger games wont be any faster than in the past.

First of all handling larger units, that in the past could be easily handled with a movement tray now have to be moved on a per model basis since basically everything skirmishes now. Fielding larger regiments will take up lots of space. Add both things together and the movement phase becomes quite annoying.

I have a feeling that heroes, monsters and basically anything with more than 2 wounds has quite an advantage. My 3 treekin for example killed deathmaster snikch and the 12 plaguemonks he was with and only lost 1 Model (though i did regen 2 wounds with a spell). And that was before we even had figured out that, unlike in the past, you basically distribute wounds, not hits, and since treekin, for example, cause 2 wounds with ever wounding hit, they can kill 2 one wound models with one hit. The units are smaller, so easier to move around and taking up less space, which, as written above, is at a premium.

During the game i noticed, that the number of unit specific special rules becomes quite confusing and often my brother and I kept forgetting them. While the core rules became simpler, the unit rules became more complicated or so it felt.

Its still is a fun game, but nothing that will draw me in like warhammer fantasy did in the past (excluding 8th edition).

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »
Pointless
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 07:28:27 PM »
Pointless
Do you want to expand on that at all? Considering the overall positive feelings from almost everyone else it would be good to hear a well thought out dissenting opinion.
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
It is simply pointless

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 08:28:59 PM »
Indeed, points are not used. Other than those on swords, pikes, and the like but that goes without saying.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
I've been reading up on the lore of this new game.  It's pretty out there, but I'm keeping an open mind.  Especially because I like the Stormcast models.

Did I read right?  Are games based on wound count, not points cost?

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2015, 09:03:25 PM »
I believe that's an unofficial set of tournament rules. I think the games are based on "Whatever you feel like"
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2015, 09:32:01 PM »
Correct, wound count is how people are dealing with the absence of official balancing agents. GW is essentially "take what you want" which, while rather Libertarian, is rather unhelpful, just like being a Libertarian.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
It is simply pointless
Is that opinion based solely on having read the rules?  Or have you actually played a game to see how it plays out?  What is it about the game that you find pointless?  What do you not like about it?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 03:29:20 AM »
I believe that's an unofficial set of tournament rules. I think the games are based on "Whatever you feel like"

There are, posted one page earlier by Killersquid and we used them for the game :)

Its not a perfect ballance but its a good start.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »
Sorry that some of you misinterpreted my 'pointless' joke (pun intended) ... (very bad humour)

TheGrimSqueaker got the right of it:
Indeed, points are not used. Other than those on swords, pikes, and the like but that goes without saying.