News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Helios suits FTW?  (Read 873 times)

Offline templargdt

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Helios suits FTW?
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:04:48 PM »
Hey guys-

I've got a lot of guys in my store that play CSM or Marines.  One dude that packs nids, one guard.  Has anyone got any advice on Helios vs. Burning Eye suits?  Which they prefer / found to be more effective?

I've switched out my firestorms (which were useless against plague marines) and loaded up on Helios.  I've also been using 1 team of two to deepstrike and kill Chaos sorcers with the lash of submission. 

So far, it's been working well, I won my 1500 point game today vs CSM, although I did have a little luck.  I think I like the ability to shoot 3 shots at close range, plus the ability to blow up a tank with ease.

What do you guys think?

Offline rmeju

Re: Helios suits FTW?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:43 AM »
Helios suits put out an impressive number of high quality shots, but it's important to remember with this config, that you're automatically within enemy assault range if you're making good use of them.

Farsight cadres don't necessarily mind so much, and of course we can't rule out JSJ helping to put a little distance between you and the offending unit (assuming you don't rout it), but you need to be careful.

Burning eye is probably more forgiving and better suited to more situations, but it's hard to argue with the devastation a helios can dish out. As always, your preferences and playstyle should dictate.

Rmeju

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
Re: Helios suits FTW?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »
I think Helios suits should be saved for the HQ and bodyguard, as you can boost their BS to not waste their shots. Twin-linked plasma is more suited to an elite slot role, as they are accurate without needed a huge of points. This is my play style. I have seen 2 units of elite helios suits still wipe out disgusting numbers of terminators, even with their BS3, on a good day.

P.S.: I hate bs 3 without any modifiers/re-rolls.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...