News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Catacomb Command Barges in 6th  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Idaho

Catacomb Command Barges in 6th
« on: January 9, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
Hey all.

I'm fairly happy with my army for Necrons but I do like to mix it up a bit, so have been considering taking an Overlord with Barge in the army.

The big concern I've got is the thing looks like it was built for 5th edition! As a Skimmer Chariot, it's quick, but damage output is seriously reduced thanks to the changes in movement rules. The threat range is a mere 12" since flat doesn't occur in the movement phase.

What's more, since everyone and their nan has Krak grenades, assaulting or getting close to Sweep attack units is a sure way to get the vehicle destroyed and isolate an expensive model.

So can anyone with practical experience using 1 in 6th appease these fears and get me motivated to take an Overlord again? (on foot they are so much a waste of points!)

Offline Galef

Re: Catacomb Command Barges in 6th
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
I love the CC Barges....on paper.

At the end of 5th ed. I was using 2 with fairly tooled out Lords.

When 6th dropped and challenges came into play, I thought "Excellent, I can get my Lords in CC fast and have some protection."

Unfortunately, the barges are often the first things to die, not only giving up First Blood, but also stranding my Warlord out by himself.

So I just dropped both of them for a D-Lord and Wraiths and have had much better luck ever since.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Idaho

« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
My thoughts exactly unfortunately.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
I use one every game for an Overlord with Warscythe and Mindshackle Scarabs. Yes it is a bummer that with the reduction for skimmer "movement" that the sweep attacks are more difficult to get now, but I just think of it as an extra bonus attack anyway.

My opponents always seem to fear it. The idea that I can get a Warscythe up close and personal so quickly to deal with any vehicle in the backfield means it takes fire early on. I use terrain and the jink save as much as I can and once it gets to the backfield, it can clean house quickly. (My opponents like long range units sitting in the back unprotected...) Plus they fear the Mindshackle quite a lot and I use this unit to deal with Monstrous Creatures, risky yes but I've always had a hard time shooting them down with Necron weaponry...

Try to keep the Overlord cheap, you already get a boost to your Armor Save and have pretty good toughness but combats can be tricky since you're alone. That's why I tend to stick to the flanks and pick off slower vehicles and units like Devastators unless I need an annoying MC dead before it reaches my lines.

This might only be working against my Chaos Marine friend, I haven't really had much other 6th edition experience yet.

Offline Galef

« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2013, 10:02:15 PM »
The Meta in my area must be different than yours.  Most of my opponents have a lot of units in between my CCBarge and their back-field ranged units.

Even when I run up a flank and move flatout my opponents manage to kill BOTH of my Barges before I can charge his back-field units.  They do draw and LOT of attention to get destroyed though, which can be a good thing, but they are too fun of a unit to be used just as a distraction.

Then again, I field about 5 Flyers so my opponent doesn't have much to shoot at in the first turn.  I am also more apt to get out of the Barge so that I can challenge.  I find this more appealing than the D6 'impact' hits from the Barge.

I guess as long as you have the right units to support a CC Barge, than they can work great, but as I do not, mine are now Annihilation Barges only.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Idaho

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:13:06 AM »
It just seems like a lot of points for something so vulnerable whenever it is going to do anything. It's a potential liability when the Overlord is your Warlord, thanks to the VP system.