News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Annoying in-game habits  (Read 11173 times)

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
Annoying in-game habits
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
Are there things other players do that annoy you? We've got a Tau guy at our store, (a nice guy, btw) who uses a little measurer to ensure every unit in his squad is EXACTLY 2" apart, so that only ONE can be hit by a large blast marker...and I MEAN exactly. Some of us roll our eyes @ this, and i can see being carful but it's almost irritating, especailly in larger games. It's almost like watching little squads of lock-step robots move across the board....
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
Re: Annoying in-game habits
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
You should point out that a large blast is 2.5" from the center point, and a typical base is .98 inches wide. With the template dead center, this means that from the center point on any side, there will be .49 inches of base under the template 2.01 inches away from the model will be hit.
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
One of the Tyranid players at my LGS (who was an incredibly nice guy, by the way) would meaure the movement of every model in his Tyranid Horde list.  I'd tell him it was perfectly okay to just measure the first Guant, then move the rest up behind it in the same general shape the unit had begun in, but he would measure for every Guant, every Gargoyle, every Genestealer, etc.  I eventually learned to make good use of the time by perusing the oft-mistaken rules in the BRB, figuring the more times I read over them, the better I'd understand them.  :)

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline EldarBaller

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »
yeah the mesuring each model thing is annoying.  Esspecially with a large horde.

I dont thikn the 2" coherency thing is wrong.  Its actually pretty smart.  And I agree with jester you should be able to get  2 models depending on the shape he is in.  But if you have a lot of ordinance blast weapons do you really expect him to bunch up when the rules clearly allow him 2" of coherency and if he didnt measure it he could be breaking coherency and breaking the rules, since even a quarter inch mistake would mean you really only could get 1 model.

I get more annoyed when opponents are careless with movement and leave their ruler way up in the air and then move their models and gain a few extra inches because of their point of view of the ruler.  If I have to keep telling them they are moing their models too far I feel like a jerk even though they are breaking the rules.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
I don't find exact measuring that bad, they're following the rules and at the end of the day only giving themselves extra work to do. What I really dislike is the opposite extreme where people roughly bundle models forward (frequently teleporting special weapons and sarges to the front).. mostly because it means you have to either ignore it or start an argument with a grown man about whether or not he ought to knock off the elastic tape measure behavior...

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »
I think the worst for me is people who only like to roll 6 dice at a time because they are their "lucky" dice. Nothnig soo irritating then rolling 6 different batches for the hits and then 3-4 more batches for the wounds.

When they start making their saves that way too I feel that I might have a moment where I might strangle them with their tape measure...
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »
There was a guy at my school who used to roll the dice...
one
at
a
beslubbering
time

and it really pissed me off, he'd do it because he knew that in the beginning stages, his DE would rape my Wolves, due to the distances of shooting and whatnot, and in the later phases of the game, i'd have the advantage (after proving that Wytches just aren't that gamebreaking in combat), simply by getting into combat.

I know i absent mindedly roll the dice when i'm concentrating on what my opponent is doing, that must piss at least one person off.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline The_Gerv

• Tau- Our tanks are better at CC than our troops.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
It bugs me when an opponent rolls their dice, and then picks up the ones the succeed rather than the ones that fail. Even if they are not purposely picking up a few failed dice in the mix, it is very easy to do so on accident. That and people who ask to borrow my gaming supplies (dice, tape measure, templates), not because they don't have those things, but rather are to lazy to pull them out of their cases/bags.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
It bugs me when an opponent rolls their dice, and then picks up the ones the succeed rather than the ones that fail.

Yes, that is bad form there. I ran into that alot at tournaments.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline persianringleadr

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
I once played a guy who would measure his Leman Russes 6 inches for movement, move it back to its starting point, pop a wheelie and make engine sounds while moving it 13 or so inches forward for his "6".  he had some sort of mental thing so I figured it would hurt more than it was worth arguing.  his teammate (doubles tournie) was really nice about it and apologized privately later, and we had fun because of him.

And people who don't allocate their wounds, roll them at the same time and fail alot.  Then they "remember" to allocate them and make better saves.  I said to one guy that this is in bad taste to do, and he said "Yeah..." and did it again the same turn! lol, it's people like this we like to dislike

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
I once played a guy who would measure his Leman Russes 6 inches for movement, move it back to its starting point, pop a wheelie and make engine sounds while moving it 13 or so inches forward for his "6".  he had some sort of mental thing so I figured it would hurt more than it was worth arguing.  his teammate (doubles tournie) was really nice about it and apologized privately later, and we had fun because of him.

That sounds exactly like a local player I know.....you just have to let that sort of thing go even though you don't want to...

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
This is  not annoying but interesting..at Gen Con there was a sightless guy who played a mean game of Chaos vs my orks...I won, but it was tough...He's feel around on the board and have me place his hands on terrain to memorize where they were...read his own dice with his fingertips....
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:41 PM »
This is  not annoying but interesting..at Gen Con there was a sightless guy who played a mean game of Chaos vs my orks...I won, but it was tough...He's feel around on the board and have me place his hands on terrain to memorize where they were...read his own dice with his fingertips....

Cool! now when I'm recruiting new players all I have to tell them is it's so simple a bind guy can play it.

Anyway, annoying habits,
I seem like a bit of an ass, but when people who've played as many games as I have know their army worse then I do (ie: played a demon army who had played as many games as me and I was telling him the stats on a blood-letter)
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »

Thats pretty inspiring actually. Don't let anything stop you from doing what you love.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »

That really is just awesome. Full props to that guy.

What really gets to me is when your opponent makes some incredible roll and then never lets you forget it. He forces you to re-live it every five minutes or so throughout the rest of the game.

As far as things I do. I'm one of those measure-every-model guys. I know a lot of the time, especially in casual games it's not a big deal, but I just like to make sure I'm moving each model the right amount. I've even had one of the old-school veterans (I'm talking rogue trader player here) tell me that I was the most careful about moving my models that he'd ever seen.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »
I'm a talker...I generally suggest options for my opponent...some people don't like that.

I call several rolls during a game, I generally get them right as most of the old Vassaline Gang will recall.

One of the worst things I've done is play the game on my opponent's side.  Perfect information game...I see where I want to be, not where I'm going.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:11 AM »
People who walk away from the table during your turn.

There's one guy in particular at the store who does it, and it really irritates me. He'll finish his turn, then walk over to the painting table or start chatting to the spectators. It's not a huge problem in my movement phase, but when you're having to try and get his attention so you can get on with the game it quickly gets old.

Offline lost_companion

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:52 AM »
I got into an argument in tournament with a guy, because his terminator squad was able to assault my guardians when they were not in range to shoot at them during my turn.  So i was trying to press the point to him that if my 12" range weapons couldn't hit him, how is his troops able to get in close combat?  finally he agreed that they wouldn't assault that turn.  Since, I don't have all the rules memorized yet, nor have I ever claimed to know all the rules, I never try to argue too much, but I hate it when I go home after a tourney and re-read the rules (would have read them in game, but I really didn't want to slow down the pace of the tournament, lesson learned I suppose) and find out that they were wrong on about 90% of the things we were trying to straighten out in game.  Obviously, the rules were "bent" in his favor, but while I enjoy winning in this game, I find it fun regardless of whether I win or loose, and it annoys me when people bend the rules so that they can have a much better chance of winning. 

Lost C

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:37 AM »
Even though it is now in the BRB, I still have issues with players measuring from the front and moving to the back.

Sure on your average guy, your giving them an inch, but most vehicles are like 6 inches long, doubling how fast some of the slower vehicles go.

I know its pretty clearly stated in the new rule books, but I still have to keep an ever vigilant eye out for it, and even got into an argument with one guy who didn't see a problem doing that, even though its clearly stated in the ruels. 

Offline lasblaster

• All glory to the infantry
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:42 AM »

Huh, I also know a sightless guy who plays. What area are you from?

My worst pet peeve is when people don't know their codex. One time I charged some fire warriors and the exarch had a strength 8 power weapon. I don't know eldar that well, but I did know that the exarchs could sometimes get some crazy gear so I went with it. Later when I was giving a friend a synopsis of the battle, I mentioned that and he gave me a look and told me that they get no such thing. We checked the codex, and sure enough, no crazy power weapon. I know that I can always ask to see the codex, but its not my responsibility to know basic things like what your squads can and can't be equipped with.

To be fair, it was his second game with eldar, but still.
In friendly games settle it in whatever way you traditionally use; D6 rolls, drinking contests, bareknuckle fisticuffs, or competetive haiku poetry.