News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New marine 'dex overpowered?  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Straker

• Armies: Eldar, Tryanid
Re: New marine 'dex overpowered?
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »
Moc would you mind posting a dummy list of the all infantry SM list you mention a bit? Seems like 5 maxed tac squads and maybe one sniper scout squad with cloaks and a techmarine of some sort to bolster defences (2+ cover save then) seems to be a good core, running at ~1100 assuming flamers (free), power fists, and a variety of LCs, HBs, and MLs.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2008, 07:00:17 AM »
Not a prob one Space Marine all Infantry list coming right up.

1 x (100) Cheapest HQ you can figure into here (Libby - Null Zone and Machine Curse for me)
4 x (195) 10 Tac Marines, Vet with Fist, ML and flamer
2 x (205) 10 Tac Marines, vet with Fist, Las and flamer
2 x (230) 10 Devastators, 4 ML and 4 MM. (signum if you want)

1750pts, 81 Space Marines, Total of 2 Las, 4 MM, 8 ML, 6 fists, and the Psychic hood if you take that route. The use of COmbat Squads and Combat Tactics is the key (has to balanced for each opponent and mission etc)

I am not saying that this is a tournie winning list and it gets boring pretty fast; but no-one has been able to kill them all yet, so getting a draw or better is not that difficult (for me).

ps... personnally I think this should get crap for a Composition Score (way out to whack); but people tend to think its ok to bring lots of troops and not much else.

CaHG

Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Democratus

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »
Not sure why a list like that would get a bad comp score.  It seems perfectly suited to the composition of a codex force.  It is troop heavy and even has a variety of weapons.  Looks like the epitome of a fluff list.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »
Minimize HQ, E, FA, Hvy.
Maximize T.

Also has a bit cookie cutter in it.

There are many ways to see a list.  And many more ways to classify if it's fluffy or not.

In the end everyone has different standards.

It's not a fast list, but has lots of MEQ bodies to tough it out through shooting and CC.
Not much else but deploy and shoot... maybe more if an objective needs to be taken.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Straker

• Armies: Eldar, Tryanid
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
There is one thing that could absolutely destroy it: Dark Eldar disintegrators :) . granted, those are very fragile, but played right...

Has anyone hit their scouts in bolstered defences yet? SM pathfinders...grrr. ..

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
There is one thing that could absolutely destroy it: Dark Eldar disintegrators :) . granted, those are very fragile, but played right...

Has anyone hit their scouts in bolstered defences yet? SM pathfinders...grrr. ..

Even worse the fact that they have better armor then pathfinders, so they are immune to instant flamer death (Although flamers still do hurt them.)

Although I'm not all to concerned about bolstered defenses.  Their sniper rifles aren't as good as eldar's, and they've now got lower BS for their trouble.  So their tougher cover armor is really more of a saving grace of the unit then being abusive.

Offline Tauir - "The Shadow"

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »
Has anyone actually charged the bolstered defensed scouts? I know it's hard to do with alot of races, but with Eldar it should be no problem, because we're one of the most mobile armies in the game.

I played with some Sternguard, and they're not that bad. Against marines they don't do very well, and against GEQs they aren't exceptional.
Whoa there.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
Yes, cover is now pretty worthless to defend against assaults. Got grenades? Ok, then just ignore this cover we're defending...

Plus of course its not exactly a free upgrade for the bolstered defenses, you have to buy a pretty expensive and not very useful techmarine. And then hope that when you play theres a handy ruin in your deployment zone. And then put the scouts in it instead of using their infiltrate and scout moves to put them somewhere clever....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:01:48 PM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »
Yes, cover is now pretty worthless to defend against assaults. Got grenades? Ok, then just ignore this cover we're defending...

Depends, as a Tyranid player it's quite a big deal, as not all of my units have the ability to ignore it, and it's often not worth spending the points to do so even when they do.

There are still quite a few armies for which defended obstacle is quite a big deal. Daemons as far as I'm aware don't get grenades, certainly not as standard
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »
Bloodletters don't.

Daemonettes and plaguebearers actually do (or at least count as having them).

Horrors......why the hell where you charging anything with horrors anyway?

But yes, it tends to be cheaper armies that suffer with cover - a 16+ point space marines gets them free, but it's frankly not worth paying out points for cheap stuff like gaunts and boyz (although it's only really guard and necrons that need to take advantage of the latter).
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685