News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Marines Vs. Nids  (Read 822 times)

Offline Orks4Life

• SERIAL POSTER: Ummm, what modify button?
  • Armageddon will fall!
My Marines Vs. Nids
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »
So I played this 2000 point battle with my brother last night using the this army list.
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=214032.msg2608035#msg2608035

His army was Genestealer heavy and didn't seem to work very well together if you ask me. it looked something like this off the top of my head without his list.

Tyrant w/ 3 Guards

3 Hive Guards

3 Zoanthropes

6 Reveners

20 Termaguants

50 Genestealers, he set them up 7,7,16 and 20.

When I saw his army list, I thought I was in for 4 squads 3 w/10 and 1 w/20 of Genestealers. This worried me because I know he uses the outflank rule well, and I let him set up the terrain, so it was terrain heavy, and the only useful buildings to set up shop in were near the flanks. (convenient much!?)

Pitched battle/Annihilation once again 2000 points.

Turn 1- Marines
I went first, he failed to seize the initiative.
For some reason he chose to Infiltrate 3 out of 4 of his Stealer squads rather then outflank like he usually does. I was happy with this turn out. 2 (both 7 member) of the squads got placed in a forest area 18" from my main battle force. My Scouts, Tactical 1, Devastator and Sternguard vets made short work of them.

Turn 1- Nids
I was pretty cocky after my turn. My Vindicator and my Rhino with Tactical 2 were on my left Flank. I failed to take into consideration that the Hive Guard don't need line of sight to fire on a unit. next thing I know 6 S8 shots later my Vindicator is a flaming crater. Cockiness gone....

Turn 2
fairly uneventful for both armies.
My marines managed to wound a Hive Guard and with the addition of my Terminators deep striking onto the left flank with my scouts locator they quickly took down the other 16 Genestealers left on the board (all but 3 that is)

The Nids managed to Kill 1 of my Sternguard Vets with the Zoanthropes, and thats about it.

Turn 3
My Marines Focused fire on the Zoanthropes but only dropped one with my Tactical, Vets and Devastators putting it on them. my Dread unloaded his weapons before jumping all over the Gaunts to my amusement (they are not strong enough to do anything against the Dread) and dropped 1 with fire and 2 in CC.
My Snipers also manage the first wound on the Tyrant and his Guards while the Rhino gets up close with the Hive guards causing 1 wound letting loose with the flamer and bolter from inside and storm bolter from the tank.

Nids picked things up here with the addition of the 20 member stealer squad coming in on my left flank and the Lictor coming in from reserve. The Hive Guards took out the Rhino in this turn killing 4 of my Marines in a spectacular explosion. The zoanthropes missed my Predator, but the Tyrant and Guards mauled the remaining members of the Tactical from the Rhino in the assault phase.

Turn 4
My marines were feeling the battle turn in their favor at this point. The Dreadnaught still had the Gaunts locked up, been dealing 2-4 wounds on the Fearless squad since engaging (the hive first, then the zoanthropes with the synapse making them fearless helped). freeing my Terminators up for other things, they dropped 14 out of 20 of the newly arriving genestealers. my Snipers, Predator and Devastators were only able to drop one more off the zoanthropes leaving 1.

The Nids at this point focused fire on my Terminators dropping 2 with the Zoanthropes and Hive Guards. The Tyrant and company made a 10" movement with running. He failed his reserve roll with a 1 to get his Reveners out. ha. once again, my Dreadnaught killed 2-4 gaunts this turn. The Lictor engaged my Devastators but lost combat 1 wound to 0. ha.

Turn 5
My Snipers opened this round Dropping 3 of the last 6 stealers from their tower.  my Terminators turned their attention to the attacking Hive Guards. tired of being shot, they joined the melee with the Dread and Gaunts, ending it as quickly as they joined. The Devastator squad drops the Lictor right after, taking 1 casualty on the way.
With the 3" consolidation I moved the Dread between my Terminators and Lysander and ended my turn.

Nids turn, The Reveners make the Field dropping near my Vets, Tactical and Predator. With incredibly horrible rolling, he was unable to destroy my Dread with the 2 remaining Hive Guards and the last Zoanthrope. The Reveners manage to drop 2 more marines in my Devastator squad, and the remaining 3 stealers mauled my scouts. with his assault the Tyrant rips my Dreadnaught apart sending parts flying everywhere. The explosion actually killed his wounded Guard and one of my Terminators.

Turn 6
This is where my Marines ended it. With a BS/WS1 my Terminators and Lysander let loose on the Tyrant and his Guards (Bolter Drills came through HUGE here.) wounding a Guard and the Tyrant (he chose to take a wound against his 2+ on his Tyrant and failed) The Predator and Devastators unloaded with Las Cannons and 1 R.Launcher dropping the wounded guard and dealing another wound to the Tyrant.
After that it was clean up for Lysander and the Terminators. WS1 or not, they made short work of the wounded squad.

It was a good game for me, his army didn't work well, and he made a huge mistake not outflanking with his whole Stealer core. First game using Lysander and I'm a even bigger fan now, but sadness was had when my Vindicator got dropped in turn 1.
Hope you enjoyed my battle, sorry for the lack of pictures!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:28:13 AM by Orks4Life »
All I do is pwn. WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!